Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On UptimeVPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

On UptimeVPS

sysnodesysnode Member
edited November 2011 in Reviews

Hi,

Just began @ uptimevps. Hopefully, they'll keep the .co.. ;)

Decided to take the http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1094755&highlight=uptimevps offer. Hopefully will not regret too much..

Am thinking to use this post as a beginning of an ongoing review.

1st impressions:

• Signup very quick. They say that it might take sometime as they check people for fraud. Took a few mins, if any and I got the welcome email.
  • The Welcome email is Spartan at best, and uptimevps knowledgebase is rather empty... Might be due to uptimevps being a new company? Hummm.. I bet there are many common questions by people new to vps. Is there a common info pool? Will have to wait for tonight before more time will be available to spend learning my way on the vps.

Cheers!

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

France location? OVH?

I am not really too keen on UptimeVPS tbh.

• ztecztec Member
    edited November 2011

I got a lot of VPS' with them, but the .com to .co change just made me lose trust in them.
    All my deals are yearly though - so I guess I have to stick it out till the very sweet end.

I'm curious how a big VPS like that will run with them.

• As i wrote on some comment in another thread i really are impressed that service , support response is fast , and ofcourse the price , if you need aditional IPS i recommend get VPS on german node.

• And the SSL for uptimevps.co is self-sign?

• bretonbreton Member
    edited November 2011

Expecting next enetsouth-like situation

/me took some popcorn

Thanked by 2Infinity drmike
  • looks like they havent updated they ssl cert from old domain to new

• @infinity yup. should have mentioned - its the french, ovh i think, dc. (on the signup it gives the country names of where locations are, not the exact place and dc name..)

• I've got a Paris, FR-based 128mb OVZ at the amazing $7/year price. So far, so good. It outperforms my other 128s because it use two cores.

Interesting facts: UptimeVPS recently sent me an offer for more 128s at the $7 price (5 Euros). The email notes they have hired dedicated support staff, and are planning premium and KVM servers in the U.S. According to an affiliates web site that cannot be named here, they have 300+ VPSes for sale.

Stop me if you've heard this one before....

Marketing ploy?

• Which uptime is this again? There's so many of them, it's getting confusing.

edited November 2011

The one with the OVH servers. Anyone noticed that UptimeVPS's logo looks like Ken doing a runner.. :S

I think you've figured by now, my humour is crap..

• @Infinity Well your html is crap if that's supposed to be an image in your post there. :)

• @drmike its the .co I think the .com is dead

• Uptimevps events update:

• Hard to tell if the server actually works. Tried the java console, "serial console", this didn't work. As far as I know java works on my machine, ubuntu. Perhaps a version thing? Not sure..
    • To log in to the server, via the web interface, as far as it seems, I should have a url as server.domain.com working. I entered one when registered with uptimevps, with the idea to change it later.
      Can not really see where this can be changed from.

• The domain sits in godaddy and I changed the ns1/2 there. Got an email from them saying they couldn't actually find the correct server.
      *Opened a support ticket which was replied within a few hours. Nice. The reply left me none the wiser as it simply said that the applet should work and that there is a way to change the domain name. Great! Good to know there is.
      Nothing re the possible ns problem.

• why trash such a great host? jealous?

• @kristal said: why trash such a great host? jealous?

Why are you such an UptimeVPS fanboy?

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited November 2011

@Kairus: they helped me save a lot of money and i am very happy with their service. Not only that, because of their excellent prices i can actually make some dough by reselling :)

Thanked by 1Jun
  • OK.. I think I have made a few mistakes:

• The ns on godaddy didn't work because I didn't register them on godaddy. ( per http://community.godaddy.com/help/article/668 )
      So that's one down and uptimevps was right its not because of them. (..though better info on post signup email could have sorted this out..)
  • @sysnode use a dns provider like http://www.cloudns.net/

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

@sysnode I think you may be missing my point. We have so many hosts with up in their names that are having a problem with staying up that it's ironic.

It's been discussed a couple of times in other threads and on the main side.

Providers do seem to like using similar names. The recent issue with multiple providers using "enet" is a perfect example.

• And now I'm tempted to start up "DeadpoolVPS - We'll Take Your Money and Run", and run a reliable, respectable service <_<

Thanked by 1cleonard
  • @Aldryic said:

And now I'm tempted to start up "DeadpoolVPS - We'll Take Your Money and Run", and run a reliable, respectable service <_<

Why not EnetNorth, East, or West? You could be the "enet" that is the best!!!!

• No, because then I'd still be "eNet", regardless of quality. At least I could give "DeadpoolVPS" a respectable name XD

• The fact that UptimeVPS sold 4GB with 250GB hdd VPSes for 45 euros a year really rubs me the wrong way. That's just excessive overselling, and doesn't point to a good future for the company.

• have some faith my friend :D

• @sysnode said: Uptimevps events update:

Hard to tell if the server actually works. Tried the java console, "serial console", this didn't work. As far as I know java works on my machine, ubuntu. Perhaps a version thing? Not sure..

To log in to the server, via the web interface, as far as it seems, I should have a url as server.domain.com working. I entered one when registered with uptimevps, with the idea to change it later. Can not really see where this can be changed from.
    The domain sits in godaddy and I changed the ns1/2 there. Got an email from them saying they couldn't actually find the correct server. *Opened a support ticket which was replied within a few hours. Nice. The reply left me none the wiser as it simply said that the applet should work and that there is a way to change the domain name. Great! Good to know there is. Nothing re the possible ns problem.

What part of the word SELF-MANAGED you don't understand mate?

• i got one €5 since 2 month. 48 days uptime till now, and my fastest vps

• @sandoz said: i got one €5 since 2 month. 48 days uptime till now, and my fastest vps

Same here, 100% uptime so far and VPS is pretty fast. Not bad for €5/y

• aaand i got more than one :P if u consider price/quality factory, uptimevps eats all others combined together :P :P

• kristal said: aaand i got more than one :P if u consider price/quality factory, uptimevps eats all others combined together :P :P

True, I got 16. They're even opening up in The Netherlands now. Must have a couple there as well... Still there's something fishy about the .com to .co change. Why not take both?

Thanked by 1regs