Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Killer IO is Open For Business! ;)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Killer IO is Open For Business! ;)

jhjh Member
edited June 2012 in Offers

Hi, I'm James Hadley, the owner and operator of Killer IO™. My endeavour is simple: to provide a viable alternative VPS solution for anyone who needs a high-performance SSD VPS here in the UK.

I've created a customised configuration using the latest solid state drives to deliver up to 240K IOPS or around 1.5-2GB/s of disk IO for the most demanding applications. To put that into perspective, that's around 200x faster than a typical hard disk, and around 2-4x faster than a typical solid state drive.

VPSs are hosted on server-grade hardware with Intel Xeon E3 processors, DDR3 memory and fast, UK bandwidth. I have set up these servers using the OpenVZ virtualisation software to enable easy management, reduce your resource overheads and keep your costs low. Management is via the SolusVM console.

256MB RAM
3GB SSD (230K IOPS)
100GB Bandwidth
£4.49/month ($7 USD) with coupon 5O63CUJ1PY
Order

Test IP: 194.0.252.80
Test Download: 100MB
Data Centre: Custodian DC in Kent, UK (Level3 Bandwidth!)

Note: There will be a slight (24-48 hrs) delay provisioning orders as the equipment has just been ordered.

Comments

• VictorVictor Member

Ah, looks great, wish you best of luck with it and congrats on getting it up and running. :)

P.S: For some reason the ordering part reminds me of Linode. :)

• jhjh Member

@Victor said: Ah, looks great, wish you best of luck with it and congrats on getting it up and running. :)

P.S: For some reason the ordering part reminds me of Linode. :)

Thanks!

• jhjh Member

@liam said: I like your whmcs skin!

Thanks, I basically just removed all the crap ;)

• PhilNDPhilND Member

Speedtest for drives?

• jhjh Member

@PhilND said: Speedtest for drives?

They're ranked at 1900MB/s read and 1700MB/s write. I'll post my own test when the equipment arrives but it shouldn't be far off that :)

Thanked by 1letbox
  • dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm test
    wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/200mb.test

Please do those!

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@jhadley said: Thanks, I basically just removed all the crap ;)

looks good -P:

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

is it allowed to post offers for none existing products?

imho .. remove and come back when you have everything up and running.

• flyfly Member

presales totally against rules?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I like the offer, I like the fact that SSD is becoming more mainstream.

Not sure about taking money before you even have your servers in the rack, seems a little bit rushed given that you only floated the idea about 5 days ago.

No issues with promoting what is coming and future products but taking money for something you cant currently supply is a little to much imo.

Interested in other opinions though, maybe it just sits wrong with me.

• Hopefully people will see that there is no benefit to paying this guy before his servers are ready.

some other providers will at least give you some sort of discount if you are willing to pay before the servers show up.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • AmfyAmfy Member

@jhadley: You really have to do this shitty cookie law?

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited June 2012

Hmm, let's see if your nodes can walk the walk.

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

I don't see a rule against pre-sales. Besides, everything has been ordered and should be ready tomorrow. I'll post a confirmation when everything is ready just so anyone who wants to wait can do so. I'm eager to get started but not in a mad rush to sell out ;)

@Amfy said: @jhadley: You really have to do this shitty cookie law?

Yes it's crazy, still there are worse things. Patriot Act cough..

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@AnthonySmith said: I like the offer, I like the fact that SSD is becoming more mainstream.

It's nice that this is pure SSD rather than the hybrid stuff :)

@JoeMerit said: Hopefully people will see that there is no benefit to paying this guy before his servers are ready.

The only benefit is you get one the very moment the first server is online.

• SpiritSpirit Member

Maybe you should add with every posted offer disclaimer that this is your hobby project - as you said in other thread http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/72833#Comment_72833.
    Just a thought considering your unstable, unpredictable past.

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@Spirit said: Maybe you should add with every posted offer disclaimer that this is your hobby project - as you said in other thread http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/72833#Comment_72833.

Just a thought considering your unstable, unpredictable past.

Yes it is and I've made that fairly clear on the website by reiterating the hands-off approach I'm taking.

• @jhadley said: The only benefit is you get one the very moment the first server is online.

And the risk of getting nothing if your servers/parts don't arrive or you can't get them working.

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@JoeMerit said: And the risk of getting nothing if your servers/parts don't arrive or you can't get them working.

Worst case scenario you get a quick refund of your £4.49, but I'm keen to make this work. For one thing, I want one of these for myself.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

Aren't you going to test the hardware fro a couple of days when it arrives?

• jhjh Member

@jcaleb said: Aren't you going to test the hardware when it arrives?

Oh definitely - I can't wait to see what this bad boy can do! Will definitely do some stress testing but I will be relying on you guys for longer term feedback.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Cool site. Best of luck to you!

Thanked by 1jh
  • I've given them a go to see what they're like. I've dealt with James before and he's certainly helpful so no doubt it will be great :)

Thanked by 1jh
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

server came in? is it really that fast?

• jhjh Member

@jcaleb said: server came in? is it really that fast?

Dodgy CPU unfortunately but everything else is working. A new E3-1240 will be arriving tomorrow morning to replace the faulty E3-1230, and orders should start rolling out at about 10.30AM :)

Sorry about this - I can tell everyone's keen to do some benchmarks.

James

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Just realized that this James Hadley is the same as James Todd- so not so newbie.

What is up with the name change? Running away from anyone?

As much as LEB / LET requires valid whois data- shouldn't LEB / LET also need to keep watch for providers using false identity?

• jhjh Member

@vampireJ said: What is up with the name change? Running away from anyone?

As much as LEB / LET requires valid whois data- shouldn't LEB / LET also need to keep watch for providers using false identity?

It's a legal name change for personal reasons - I'm not hiding anything.