Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New BuyVM VM Transfer Policy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New BuyVM VM Transfer Policy?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited April 2012 in Help

Just wondering if any of the Pony member and users have heard anything about the updated policy for transferring the VPS? @Aldryic promised "in the next day or two" a few days ago....

Comments

• This is what I know. "No Transfers"

• Thread bookmarked, you'll have my answer in the morning :3 (I just got in, and I'm ready for bed)

• Why doesn't BuyVM just get a support forum already?

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • Because we love you.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2012

buyvm support forum would be nice, more folks helping each other out.. folks could post up mini how to guides etc etc, it would grow as a resource to which both buyvm customers and tech support could reference and link to particular threads etc. Also will allow folks to search for solutions for commonly asked questions something IRC can't do i don't think.

i'm a believer in a support question, should really only need to be answered once and can be referenced back to via forum threads, faq, wiki etc etc.

• @eva2000 said: something IRC can't do i don't think.

Yes it can do it
    At the start, lots of messages.
    The wiki, more stuff.

Just some people is lazy, and others are dumb to read ¬¬

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2012

in last 10yrs maybe used IRC once or twice LOL

IRC can search back months, years into the past for an answer ?

forums FTW hehe

• @eva2000 said: forums FTW hehe

Yes, I like them too.
    But I prefer to get used to anything that you throw me.

• IRC can search back months, years into the past for an answer ?

Yes, it's called keeping logs and putting them up online via searchable methods.

Wordpress does it, you should figure out what you're bashing before doing it.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We have the wiki but not many people request the ability to commit articles.

Francisco

• sorry for offending pro-IRC'ers, i just love forums ^_^

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@eva2000 said: sorry for offending pro-IRC'ers, i just love forums ^_^

I think a forum would be a great idea, i'm just not sure how much it'd be used :(

Francisco

• AdamAdam Member

@Francisco said: I think a forum would be a great idea, i'm just not sure how much it'd be used :(

"If you build it, they will come"

• @Aldryic said: Thread bookmarked, you'll have my answer in the morning :3 (I just got in, and I'm ready for bed)

You da boss sir.

• No matter how much documentation you put on the forums, you'll still get a huge number of idiots who submit useless tickets becuase the wiki's are TL;DR

Look how many useless threads are on LET & WHT becuase people can't .. er .. WON'T use the search button to look for the answers to a question before they open a new thread.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited April 2012

@eva2000 said: buyvm support forum would be nice, more folks helping each other out..

My primary concern here is that while an 'internal' support forum would be rather nice, there would always be that community aspect. In the long run, this would simply be one more competitor to LET, and we happen to like it here too much to allow that <_< We'll discuss the idea... though I'm personally thinking that bringing a couple more volunteers onboard for writing Wiki articles, and taking Wiki requests via our ticket system would be the best way to go.

@Aldryic said: Thread bookmarked, you'll have my answer in the morning :3

I'm not done with all of the fine-printing/wording for the TOS/AUP, but here's about what the gist of it will be:

• Services under 3 months are ineligible for any transfer.
    • Services with outstanding/current invoices are ineligible for transfer.
    • Suspended services are ineligible for transfer.
    • All data is destroyed during a service transfer, primarily for security reasons. A new IP will be assigned to the VM after transfer.
    • Transfers with no data loss and retaining the original IP are possible, and may be done for a minor (probably 1$-1,50$) fee, paid by the original owner.

A few client-specific rules, as well.

• Clients 'younger' than three months cannot transfer a service to another client.
    • Clients wishing to transfer a service must be in good standing with no overdue invoices/fees.
    • Clients may transfer one service a month; additional transfers will be subject to a service fee (<5$, exact amount yet to be determined)
    • Receiving clients must have active/prior service and be in good standing; 'new' clients with no service history may request an account audit involving a 1,50$ invoice (credited to the account after payment) in order to be considered eligible for transfer.
    • No client with a TOS/AUP violation history may receive a service transfer.

Sounds like a lot of red tape... but it's mostly the same unofficial policy I've been following... the only real new addition being the 'one per month' limit.

I have a good bit of auditing left to finish today, so I'll probably have the TOS/AUP updated for tomorrow afternoon or Sunday.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @rajprakash said: No matter how much documentation you put on the forums, you'll still get a huge number of idiots who submit useless tickets becuase the wiki's are TL;DR

Yes, but now we have those idiots at LET, constantly opening specific host "support tickets" here. @subigo have point.

• @Aldryic: Eminently fair, great job!

And yes, I'd prefer more wiki to another forum

• tuxtux Member

@Aldryic said: Clients 'younger' than three months cannot transfer a service to another client.

Pony hates babies?

• Pony hates people that try to get around bans/restrictions :3 Too many times I've seen someone terminated for nonpayment, open a new account, and try to get someone to transfer a VPS to their new account (knowing I'll be able to link them to the old account if they try to pay... not knowing that I can find them regardless :P)

• aubsaubs Member

A lot, if not most of the questions asked about VPS' or linux are online. Google gives answers to most questions. It's just that a large amount of people can't be bothered to search.

Specific issues for a host should be in a wiki, but not general questions like 'how do I set up Samba on Ubuntu' - if someone has more to add to the Ubuntu help guide surely they should update the guide rather than reinvent the wheel?

~~

I like the idea of limiting how many transfers a month. That may put people off buying too many at a time and may mean more stock available for those who genuinely want one when they are released.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • @Aldryic said: Perhaps you should work on your popularity, then? In any case, I don't see any material in this post relevant to you, so perhaps you should spend some time helping your own clients rather than trying to troll :P

My clients get all the help they need. Unlike your clients, who have to post here, because you guys obviously don't provide them with easy enough outlets of support.

• aubsaubs Member

Guys, this isn't the time or place for a bitch-fest.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • AldryicAldryic Member
    edited April 2012

@aubs said: Specific issues for a host should be in a wiki, but not general questions like 'how do I set up Samba on Ubuntu' - if someone has more to add to the Ubuntu help guide surely they should update the guide rather than reinvent the wheel?

Well, I can understand guides for specific services due to how individual providers setup their nodes. Like for us, TUN/TAP is automatically enabled, so we have our own guide to OpenVPN so that folks don't get confused by some of the odd 'errors'. But otherwise, aye... I frequently link to Debian/CentOS/Ubuntu forums and wiki entries when assisting clients, since the relevant information already exists.

@aubs said: Guys, this isn't the time or place for a bitch-fest.

Meh, just ignore him. Trolls get bored eventually, and it's something of a compliment that we obviously bother him that much without really trying. As the old adage goes, an insult filled with jealousy brings more satisfaction than the compliment.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: Well, I can understand guides for specific services due to how individual providers setup their nodes. Like for us, TUN/TAP is automatically enabled, so we have our own guide to OpenVPN so that folks don't get confused by some of the odd 'errors'. But otherwise, aye... I frequently link to Debian/CentOS/Ubuntu forums and wiki entries when assisting clients, since the relevant information already exists.

I once had a host say "Google it" to me

Surprisingly, it worked and usually fixes things 99% of the time.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • @Daniel said: I once had a host say "Google it" to me

Ouch... I don't think I've ever been that downright rude... but I do try to point clients onto the right path so that they can learn what they're doing.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: Ouch... I don't think I've ever been that downright rude... but I do try to point clients onto the right path so that they can learn what they're doing.

It was funny when a company had issues with their server I was on and I submitted a ticket and they replied "Looking into it"

I found out what was wrong way before they did, sent them a ticket containing 5 commands to fix it and it worked.

Cough Virpus.

• I agree with @Aldryic, most relevant information does already exist on the internet somewhere. I prefer to Google it then have to wait several hours for a host to answer a ticket.

• @Daniel said: I found out what was wrong way before they did, sent them a ticket containing 5 commands to fix it and it worked.

I don't understand people that have trouble with using a search engine, like I'm some kind of Google savant? But it just reinforces my option that common sense is a God given gift that most are denied.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Daniel said: I once had a host say "Google it" to me

It would have better if they'd just pasted a lmgtfy.com link in the ticket :-)

Thanked by 2netomx lbft