Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An amusing BuyVM Rip
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

An amusing BuyVM Rip

ElliotJElliotJ Member
edited April 2012 in General

Hey guys,

Another BuyVM rip, but with a twist!
https://www.networkbastard.com

Another host with serious thought into their name.
I wonder what their sister company is ;)

Thanked by 2djvdorp quirkyquark

Comments

• subigosubigo Member
    edited April 2012

No offense to BuyVM, especially since it's kind of their thing now... but why the hell would ANYONE rip that site? It looks straight out of 1999.

• I like the name.

• Its not a rip, more inspired.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

host refused to provide license info: invalid URL or nulled (guessed networkbastard.com/client/submitticket.php, supplied one refused to provide license info). public WHMCS checker (http://www.whmcs.com/members/verifydomain.php) reports that the domain networkbastard.com is NOT authorized to use WHMCS

Francisco

Thanked by 2Legendlink djvdorp
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2012

http://www.networkbastard.com/client/?licensedebug does not work either.

(edit) too slow :(

• Those bastards.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

My eyes.

• Nice, quick page loads though: http://lo9.in/

It was in my site comments today, concidence or what?

• I think I've said this before but..

It's called rows and columns.

No one gets to say they came up with that.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @sleddog said: It was in my site comments today, concidence or what?

>

No coincidence ;)

• Looks like there servers are located @ Serverguru's..

Thanked by 1TheHackBox

From their TOS:

Network Bastard guarantees that your website will be up and running at least 90% of the time during any given 12-month period. This guarantee includes network uptime, server uptime, web server and service uptime. It does not cover any areas where Network Bastard has no direct influence, such as backbone provider failures, fibre-optic main line cuts, DNS or Domain Registrar issues with subscriber's domain name, connection issues between the client's location and Network Bastard data center. This uptime guarantee is also not applicable if the service interruption was caused by external issues such as Acts of God, Wars or any other natural or unnatural events that Network Bastard cannot directly influence.

90%!

They also only seem to cover shared hosting in their TOS.

• Maybe the tables look similar but I would not consider it a rip- unless you look at the css probably and it contains some css codes from Fran's site.

• @joepie91 said: Acts of God

Not sure if their TOS are trolling or if they are really that dumb

• ZettaZetta Member

@joepie91 @gsrdgrdghd
    It's probably taken straight from Volumedrive ToS.

• @gsrdgrdghd
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_God
    It's a valid term, just one of the more amusing ones ;)

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Not sure if their TOS are trolling or if they are really that dumb

You've seriously never seen or heard the term "Act of God" in legal terms?

• (12 months) - (90% of (12 months)) = 36.5242199 days

So they can have over an entire month of downtime.

• Registered by an anonymous person in Indonesia.

I'm shocked.

• vldvld Member

Seems they heard us.
    "We are very sorry, the site is currently under construction."

• AndriAndri Member
    edited April 2012

First of all, I apologize if my site seems copying somebody else site. It's my own code, I don't even a good coder, I know.

The site is mine, I have a reseller account at Hostmantis (shared) and VPS6.net (vps), at first I use the account for hosting my own blog. Now, it's also used for few blogs that owned by my own friends who ask me some help to install WordPress, not "real customers", just couple of friends' blog. Yes, I've once tried to offer on WHT, but no luck. Also on my local community forum, only one client from there. The only client I have.

About the lay-out, I admit it was inspired by @Francisco's design, but I'm nowhere of copying his work. If anyone, especially Fran feel it has something in common and it's annoying, I'd be happy to change the layout. I put the site into maintenance now.

Thanks for bring this thing up, @ElliotJ. It's really a valuable lesson for me.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
    edited April 2012

@Andri said: First of all, I apologize if my site seems copying somebody else site. It's my own code, I don't even a good coder, I know.

The site is mine, I have a reseller account at Hostmantis (shared) and VPS6.net (vps), at first I use the account for hosting my own blog. Now, it's also used for few blogs that owned by my own friends who ask me some help to install WordPress, not "real customers", just couple of friends' blog. Yes, I've once tried to offer on WHT, but no luck. Also on my local community forum, only one client from there.

About the lay-out, I admit it was inspired by @Francisco's design, but I'm nowhere of copying his work. If anyone, especially Fran feel it has something in common and it's annoying, I'd be happy to change the layout. I put the site into maintenance now.

Thanks for bring this thing up, @ElliotJ. It's really a valuable lesson for me.

The biggest issue IMO isn't your code, but your color scheme. Red on black doesn't work very well.

EDIT: And your TOS needs some work...

• AndriAndri Member

@joepie91 Thanks.

• vldvld Member

@Andri: how about the nulled WHMCS?

• And...Already down

• AndriAndri Member

@vld Oh yes, I forgot to explain about this, I bought it from someone from my local forum on Feb this year, it was very cheap, he said it's something like reseller price, etc. My bad didn't look further into it. Actually about a week ago, someone already told me that my license is fake, but my bad didn't remove it asap.

I'm sending my client an email, and backup his detail just now. The WHMCS will removed in couple minute. Since it's only single client, I'm thinking about temporary contacting him by email untill I finished installing BoxBilling.

Thanks again. Another lesson learned. :)

• nabonabo Member
    edited April 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Not sure if their TOS are trolling or if they are really that dumb

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=&search=acts+of+god

You really shouldn't do a word-by-word translation into your own language ;-)

• twaintwain Member

aww man.. I don't get to show this site to anyone anymore... The plan names were actually quite clever imo.

• @subigo said: You've seriously never seen or heard the term "Act of God" in legal terms?

I'm not a native english speaker nor do i live in an english speaking country, so i just translated it literally :D