Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FastestVPN passes "Altius IT" No-Logs Security Audit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FastestVPN passes "Altius IT" No-Logs Security Audit

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited April 2023 in General

Just saw this new page on their website (there is an animated button saying "new"):
https://fastestvpn.com/fastestvpn-no-logs-audit-report

To all our valued customers and future partners, we’re excited to announce that FastestVPN passed its first independent Audit by the renowned Altius IT, a leading independent California-based Certified Information Systems Auditor. The FastestVPN no-logs policy underwent 360 scrutinies, where we can show you that we truly represent a secure and reliable no-logs policy.

The entire VPN app, its servers, its features, and all legal policies were held under evaluation. As promised, FastestVPN is there to secure your anonymity, enhance your privacy online and ensure that no one, not even us, has access to your sensitive information.

Fwiw, an audit is just a moment in time and anything can be changed afterwards.
I often explained, that for the sake of simplicity, I just assume that any VPN service I use keeps (identifiable) logs (even those that claim not to). Due to this and the fact that a VPN alone doesn't make you anonymous, I am not doing anything on VPN that I would regret in the future (if exposed). Since about 99% of my usage is unblocking/cheaper shopping and 1% is streaming, I am fairly content with this strategy.

Regardless, I thought I'd just leave this here for those of you who are using FastestVPN.
Make of it what you will :)

Edit: Altius IT website looks very basic (and kinda ugly/not my taste).

Still assuming FastestVPN is reselling (either PureVPN, or some other company).
Crunchbase shows 51-100 employees but they didn't become "that" popular yet imho.
If they did, the company is way bigger than I assumed.

Crunchbase shows even more employees (501-1000) for iProVPN, which following tech stats did have 0 downloads on the Playstore the past month and overall isn't very popular yet.

Thanked by 2warih the_doctor

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

I find fastestvpn to be my favorite of my lifetime VPNs, at least on mobile. I like their app more than keepsolid. On PC, their app is pretty bad though, at least in my experience. I haven’t used it in a bit.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • VoidVoid Member

Coming up next: fastest VPN launches a sub brand - NologProvenByAuditVPN

Thanked by 2Ympker bdl
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Ympker said: renowned Altius IT, a leading independent California-based Certified Information Systems Auditor

...sure. That's why nobody's heard about them yet.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2023

@brueggus said:

@Ympker said: renowned Altius IT, a leading independent California-based Certified Information Systems Auditor

3 employees on Linkedin...

@bruh21 said:
    I find fastestvpn to be my favorite of my lifetime VPNs, at least on mobile. I like their app more than keepsolid. On PC, their app is pretty bad though, at least in my experience. I haven’t used it in a bit.

The performance I experience when using them (mobile/pc) isn't bad at all.
    As for PC, try manual openvpn or IKEV2. Works way better for me, and I don't really like their app for PC.
    This page about the audit just shows how good snakeoil and fear sells.
    Not that I care. In the end it's about what you are going to use the VPN for and if it does what you expect it to do. I'm happily using it for what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@brueggus said:

3 employees on Linkedin...

@bruh21 said:

The performance I experience when using them (mobile/pc) isn't bad at all.
    As for PC, try manual openvpn or IKEV2. Works way better for me, and I don't really like their app for PC.
    This page about the audit just shows how good snakeoil and fear sells.
    Not that I care. In the end it's about what you are going to use the VPN for and if it does what you expect it to do. I'm happily using it for what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

On my PC, I just use the AVG VPN I got for around $3 a year. Works well enough and the app is simple.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited April 2023

Performance is great, and the audit results are nice! I just wish there were some way to whitelist sites in the Chrome extension, but I feel like a broken record on that one.

Also, I haven't paid attention in a while, but it looks like they finally started Wireguard support last month (if only through their apps). A very nice start!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @TimRoo said:
    Performance is great, and the audit results are nice! I just wish there were some way to whitelist sites in the Chrome extension, but I feel like a broken record on that one.

Also, I haven't paid attention in a while, but it looks like they finally started Wireguard support last month (if only through their apps). A very nice start!

Yup, Wireguard performance has been great! Loving it (on mobile).

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • I don't think FastestVPN is reselling PureVPN's services.
    Ivacy is indeed reselling PureVPN, because you can connect to any PureVPN server (manually set up) using an Ivacy account, whereas a FastestVPN account does not
    It's great that FastestVPN supports Wireguard protocol connections, and I hope they roll out a way to get Wireguard profiles soon so they're not relying on their client!

Thanked by 2Ympker TimRoo
  • @qquccs said:
    I don't think FastestVPN is reselling PureVPN's services.
    Ivacy is indeed reselling PureVPN, because you can connect to any PureVPN server (manually set up) using an Ivacy account, whereas a FastestVPN account does not
    It's great that FastestVPN supports Wireguard protocol connections, and I hope they roll out a way to get Wireguard profiles soon so they're not relying on their client!

Yeah, unlike Ivacy, I could never pin FastestVPN to Purevpn. That said, maybe they are reselling someone else. Or are just bigger than I imagined.
    Yup, independent Wireguard configs would be awesome!

• LeviLevi Member

Every bit of information about any VPN provider should be filtered with massive grain of salt. Their product is not VPN, but rather illusion that hey create: either it is privacy, security, freedom etc. At the moment when illusion is shattered by law enforcement, hack or massive outage - VPN company doomed, as they loose their product shell and all credibility.

Nowadays any network student at first semester could offer VPN services. Infra is there, software (brandable openVPN etc.) ready to use. Just maintain illusion which attracts certain type of clientele and do it as long as possible.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @LTniger said:
    Every bit of information about any VPN provider should be filtered with massive grain of salt. Their product is not VPN, but rather illusion that hey create: either it is privacy, security, freedom etc. At the moment when illusion is shattered by law enforcement, hack or massive outage - VPN company doomed, as they loose their product shell and all credibility.

Nowadays any network student at first semester could offer VPN services. Infra is there, software (brandable openVPN etc.) ready to use. Just maintain illusion which attracts certain type of clientele and do it as long as possible.

Agree. Fear sells well. And right now fear of mass surveillance and control sells like hot cake and it is, of course, on the rise (due to the nature of the internet and big corps/govt interests). But many people seem to be blindly buying into NordVPN and others..

That's why I was fine settling with lifetime deals like Ivacy or Keepsolid. No need to pay snakeoil yearly/monthly for Nordvpn/Expressvpn or others. The lifetime vpns I have do what I need them for (unblocking/streaming) and if I want privacy (=! anonymity) and security, I just connect to my self-hosted wg/ovpn instance :P

Thanked by 1Levi
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

Most if not all of us can also setup private VPN servers, VPS are cheap. The question is of course if we trust the VPS provider, do they log traffic?
    Can't really trust anyone or anything. I choose to use several VPN providers at the same time in my router and distribute traffic between them. Does it help? Probably not but it means that one provider cannot create a full map of all my online activities.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I like collecting lifetime VPN deals, this one seems good.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited April 2023

Before you trust "auditied" VPN provider, just take a look at garbage they serve you when you visit their site;
    https://themarkup.org/blacklight?url=fastestvpn.com

@Ympker said:

@qquccs said:

Yeah, unlike Ivacy, I could never pin FastestVPN to Purevpn. That said, maybe they are reselling someone else. Or are just bigger than I imagined.

Give me a few Exit IP's they use on their VPN servers, and Ill tell you who they are reselling.

They appear to be running their own infra(rent dedis or vps);

Intel thanks to Spur.us

Thanked by 2Ympker kait
  • LeviLevi Member

@Arkas said:
    I like collecting lifetime VPN deals, this one seems good.

What most exotic vpn provider do you have? It can be a mascot, funky support or just naked girls.

• @treesmokah said:
    Before you trust "auditied" VPN provider, just take a look at garbage they serve you when you visit their site;

@Ympker said:

@qquccs said:

Give me a few Exit IP's they use on their VPN servers, and Ill tell you who they are reselling.

88.216.97.2 146.70.136.11

• @qquccs said: 88.216.97.2

@qquccs said: 146.70.136.11

Looks like they "own" these servers.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Out of curiosity, does any of you even have their company registration data? All I can find is that they are based out of Cayman Islands(offshore, mainly to mask who works for it - not for "privacy").

• @treesmokah said:
    Out of curiosity, does any of you even have their company registration data? All I can find is that they are based out of Cayman Islands(offshore, mainly to mask who works for it - not for "privacy").

It is said that they are a Pakistani company

edited April 2023

@qquccs said:

@treesmokah said:
    Out of curiosity, does any of you even have their company registration data? All I can find is that they are based out of Cayman Islands(offshore, mainly to mask who works for it - not for "privacy").

It is said that they are a Pakistani company

https://fastestvpn.com/privacy-policy
    "We’re based in the Cayman Islands, a jurisdiction that exercises “No Mandatory Data retention laws,” and we abide by that law. "

Just got a "small" reply from their live chat agent;

• @treesmokah said:

@Ympker said:

@qquccs said:

They appear to be running their own infra(rent dedis or vps);

Intel thanks to Spur.us

Good to know it's really their infra. Thanks!

edited April 2023

FastestVPN founder was recently allegedly found guilty of credit card and certificates fraud: https://treasure.com.pk/fia-lodges-fir-case-against-inter-market-securities-owner-and-abtach-software-house/
    https://www.thecorrespondent.pk/fia-registers-fraud-case-against-major-karachi-software-house/
    https://www.bolnews.com/latest/2021/02/digitonics-scam-cartel-bribery-accusations-hurled-on-fia-cyber-crime-by-fraud-companies/

And was sued by Pakistani govt;
    https://lrc.shc.gov.pk/downloads/Dec-Mar-2021.pdf

I would personally not trust this person with my financial data, personal details and internet traffic.
    Especially when you cannot find shit about their company in "cayman islands" and their founder is a fucking fraudster.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Fast Technology Ltd, maybe this one?
    https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/fast-technology

edited April 2023

@Ympker said:
    Fast Technology Ltd, maybe this one?
    https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/fast-technology

Nope, too old and was sold to a company which was later sold to another company which was later sold to yet another company.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2023

@treesmokah said:
    FastestVPN founder was recently allegedly found guilty of credit card and certificates fraud: https://treasure.com.pk/fia-lodges-fir-case-against-inter-market-securities-owner-and-abtach-software-house/
    https://www.thecorrespondent.pk/fia-registers-fraud-case-against-major-karachi-software-house/
    https://www.bolnews.com/latest/2021/02/digitonics-scam-cartel-bribery-accusations-hurled-on-fia-cyber-crime-by-fraud-companies/

And was sued by Pakistani govt;
    https://lrc.shc.gov.pk/downloads/Dec-Mar-2021.pdf

I would personally not trust this person with my financial data, personal details and internet traffic.
    Especially when you cannot find shit about their company in "cayman islands" and their founder is a fucking fraudster.

Well, there's a reason I don't do anything crucial on vpn services. In this case, kind of happy I paid Stacksocial and only redeemed the code on FastestVPN site. I mean it's all allegedly, but yeah. Streaming and unblocking, that's it as far as use case goes for me. Not to say this wouldn't happen with a CEO of a european vpn provider, but this actually makes me kind of happy I gave Goose VPN lifetime a shot (dutch company). Not that I'll do anything crucial on there either (I've got self-hosted for that), but still.. it's a bit different feeling imho

• @Ympker said: Streaming and unblocking, that's it as far as use case goes for me.

Use proxies or individual vpn profiles, do not fucking trust their Apps.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2023

@treesmokah said:

@Ympker said: Streaming and unblocking, that's it as far as use case goes for me.

Most unblocking is done by Ivacy proxy browser extension in my case. Works well.

• @Ympker said:

@treesmokah said:

@Ympker said: Streaming and unblocking, that's it as far as use case goes for me.

Most unblocking is done by Ivacy proxy browser extension in my case. Works well.

Do you mind sharing the "audit report" they have posted on FastestVPN blog? I'm unable to access it without an account.

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited April 2023

The company looks pretty sketchy.

The "Trusted by" list of companies of their website have logos, but no links to their review. Go manually search it out - they're not "trusted" , in fact, in all of their reviews, they all have something along the lines of "Privacy policy lacks detail and there's no security audit." Just because it's reviewed by those companies doesn't make them "trusted" by those companies.

The trustpilot logo on their page is a static image with a "4.0" It's not dynamic, you can't click it to actually get to trustpilot..you have to manually enter the information to find their company. https://www.trustpilot.com/review/fastestvpn.com

Once you find the company things start getting a little more clear,

The only people leaving positive reviews are "people" with 1-2 reviews and they all leave glowing reviews. If you look into about 95% of the profiles that meet that criteria, they've ONLY reviewed FastestVPN, sometimes twice. If you look for actual people reviewing with 3+, most are negative reviews.

Then you have the pricing... $40 one time for a "lifetime" VPN service? Someone's getting their hookers and blow subsidized until service becomes degraded to the point where techically you can connect, it just won't be usable. Lifetime promises for digital services is optimistic at best, fradulent at worst. Remember, you're basing it off the company's lifetime, not your own. When their pricing is like so

Monthly - $7/mo = $84/year
    Yearly - $2.08/mo = $24.95/year
    Lifetime = $40

To me, that's a company that's looking to get the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time without any consideration for future operations. Servers don't run on good vibes and fairy dust, it's money and work.

Then they say they don't have a trial but they do have a "15 day money back guarantee" - go look at how many people have had issues trying to get their refund after they were unsatisifed with the service.

Red flags everywhere..