Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Server; power consumption
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home Server; power consumption

djvdorpdjvdorp Member
edited February 2012 in General

As of the other thread regarding people's home servers, I am wondering about the power consumption
as I am thinking of putting one online fulltime myself.

So here you can post your specs and power consumption.
I'll start with my desktop pc and will post some of my spare systems and NAS later on here.

my hp quadcore desktop just downloading and running the os:
0.5A 220V 80-90W

Comments

• Intel Little Falls 2 Board, 2*1.6ghz, around 40W according to spec

Now that i think about it, thats a rather bad ghz to watt ratio.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Intel Little Falls 2 Board, 2*1.6ghz, around 40W according to spec

Now that i think about it, thats a rather bad ghz to watt ratio.

It all depends. IF you need to do ocasional work on the server (i.e. not totally dedicated headless etc) then the ratio of power per Ghz matters. If the server will only run NAS, router, ocasional ssh, tunnels, etc, then the processor does not really matter and you should go with the lowest power absorbed.
    Atom bulk D510 boards have a slighly lower consumption than my Saphire Fusion E350 USB 3.0 board even with SODIMM ram, but since I run a few VMs on it of which most x64, I had to go with the E350 and sell the atom board, even tho i liked the passive cooling (lowered the fan of E350 since it is winter anyway, and completely stopped the one of the PSU since it doesnt get warm because of the low drain).
    Intended use matters in more aspects than one.
    M

• I don't even have mine turned on, I think my desktop PC uses enough power. It has 4 Fans, Intel Pentium 4, 2 Rainbow LED Sticks and a LED Fan also 3 CD / DVD RW drives in there with 1 HD and the front and back LEDs on the case.

• Currently I run a single core atom netbook which draws little power. I do aim to replace it with a raspberry pi though :P

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

Single core atom N270 with the 945GC chipset drains a lot more power than a whole rig with D510, twice the memory and similar HDD. I did the measuring ! In idle state it is about 50%, at full load about 10-20, if the display is turned off. It may vary a bit depending on some factors, while N270 does consume little as CPU, the whole package is very unefficient. The measuring was not "scientiffic", N270 was running xp while D510 Debian, but it shouldnt be too much off the mark.
    M

• Nah nah

Specs sucks. Take a meter and do your measurements.

My Celeron dual core is idling always, just routing traffic and moving files. It uses 45 watts, a single sata HDD, a sound card, and a wireless card. In the morning I have less voltage in the power line, so it uses a little bit more, up to 55w maybe.

• Is yours??? :D

Mine is in a cardboard too, but isn't closed like that one lol

• @yomero said: In the morning I have less voltage in the power line, so it uses a little bit more, up to 55w maybe.

Is it that noticeable of a voltage drop!?!?

• @Damian said: Is it that noticeable of a voltage drop!?!?

I don't know too much about this things. But at some hours in the morning and in the night my UPS reports up to 85v (the meter maybe reports 95). And sometimes the line has 105v. According to the kill-a-watt this drops translate in more power consumption :|

• bretonbreton Member
    edited February 2012

@yomero said:

Is yours??? :D

Nope, I just use that guys jabber server. But damn, 20W.

• @breton said: Nope, I just use that guys jabber server. But damn, 20W.

My qnap nas, with 2 hdd, consume 20W under load and 7w in idle (from the specs on the official website).

• @Steve81 said: My qnap nas, with 2 hdd, consume 20W under load and 7w in idle (from the specs on the official website).

Can you use it as jabber, mail and shell server?

• @breton said: Can you use it as jabber, mail and shell server?

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Debian_Installation_On_QNAP

Since you can install debian, i guess you can also install all of the software mentioned

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited February 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Debian_Installation_On_QNAP

Since you can install debian, i guess you can also install all of the software mentioned

Exactly.

This is a more updated link: http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/

@breton said: Can you use it as jabber, mail and shell server?

I use it as http proxy/filter, development web environment, dns proxy, ipv6 gateway, nfs server, smb server and few other daemons (including exim).

Running Squeeze, ofc (that's why I have even ARM in my squeeze repository ;))

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • homemade based on intel d945gsejt, 2GB RAM, and 2 drives (2.5") in M350 enclosure running @ 12W

• Just been setting up one of the hp microservers today, I put the power meter on it and it only uses 45w running flat out at bootup and 34w idle. I'll check the exact cpu spec but its a dual core AMD, 2gb ram and 2 x 250 gb 3.5" sata drives. Running server 2008 domain controller no priblem.

• old Asus laptop with 1.4GHz Centrino CPU and broken display, working as my home server for 6-7 years 24/7. more than enough for everything

Idle: ~12W server + ~4W USB HDD
    Load: ~20W server + ~10-12 USB HDD