Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSolutions hacked? - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSolutions hacked?

Comments

• @LTniger said:
    [...] just talking about sex without actual penetration.

• Respect others.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @TWC said:
    I do recall vaguely, especially in regards to him saying he's not getting paid anymore, etc. It's just best not to let yourself be led by your emotions. If a client stops paying you (or responding to you) for one reason or another, you just move on. You lose far more if you take it personally.

Nah, burn the fucker to the ground or they will do it to the next contractor. I'm tired of society hand-holding thieves and hiding the truth behind nicities. :)

Obviously, it can't hurt to be polite to someone who has stood true to their word. But the only thing @MikePT has said here is he gave advice to be help avoid this and @cociu ignored it. Anyone who gets high and mighty on that subject is nervous because they are hiding some shit and I'd avoid working with them like the plague.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2021

I think @TWC came towards it from an outsider's perspective without being informed.

Your message is a reasonable one if you don't know the context. But in this case, context matters. Not saying it's still 100% acceptable or excusable, but without context you just look like an ass (pardon my french, no ill intent intended. Just easiest way of expressing it).

• niknar1900niknar1900 Member
    edited December 2021

@HalfEatenPie said:
    but without context you just look like an ass

But this is LowEndTalk, the premier place to look like an ass 😂

Thanked by 2KermEd bulbasaur
  • @niknar1900 said:
    But this is LowEndTalk, the premier place to look like an ass 😂

You're not wrong.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I am an arse.

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    I think @TWC came towards it from an outsider's perspective without being informed.

Your message is a reasonable one if you don't know the context. But in this case, context matters. Not saying it's still 100% acceptable or excusable, but without context you just look like an ass (pardon my french, no ill intent intended. Just easiest way of expressing it).

I am a lurker, and I pretty much followed LET even before @cociu's fall from grace. So... unfortunately, I'm only an ass, lol.

I think some of the users saw my post as me bashing @MikePT, even though I was just trying to be honest. A lot of people won't tell you how they feel about something you do if they like you, even if they don't agree with it. They just wouldn't want to hurt your feelings. It's understandable.

What I was trying to say was that I can empathize with what he has been through, I've had it happen many times. Especially when it seems like further business with the person would be possible down the line, so why wouldn't you do them a solid. But then, usually... it turns out that you're either taken for granted, or that it won't matter. So what happens is that you start getting a little angry, hurt, or a little bit of both, and you say things that you shouldn't.

It won't make you paid, it won't make you whole. It only risks alienating your other clients, since no one would like to be talked about in that context. The only right thing to do here is to simply move on and let bygones be bygones.

@cociu is a lot of things, but I don't believe he has an ounce of maliciousness in him. People act differently under pressure, and they generally make terrible decisions. His bad decisions led us to this point. Does that mean that we should not be talking about him? No, but it also doesn't mean that we should make him into someone who wouldn't fix the situation if he could.

@jsg you shouldn't have switched teams! :D #teamcociu

I'm kidding, of course. But I stand by what I said, if you fall down the rabbit hole deep enough, you will not be able to do much, if anything at all. So I can understand both sides.

While he did in fact let everyone down, especially with not returning money, and this inside job which exposed the customer database, it still doesn't mean that the situation is beyond repair. I really do hope that he knows that. Especially because it may seem a little hopeless at the moment. But it's just life, and ignoring the issues that we're faced with won't do anything but prolong them, and cause even bigger issues. So in case that he is reading this, try to have a little faith, and talk to people and think of a solution that will make everyone whole -- together.

It may sound a little strange, but a lot of companies have recovered from far worse things than what happened here, and communities like LET can be relied upon, even if to just brainstorm for possible solutions.

Thanked by 1srvjap

Don't write a wall of text on LET.

No one's gonna read it. Six lines maximum. That's our attention span.

• I kind of read the first 6 or 7 words of each paragraph.

• I smell drama.. it seems cociu gained another fan..

edited December 2021

I recall a certain weirdo steadfastly defending him back then. He also writes towers of text.

He certainly draws a weird crowd.

• @deank said:
    I recall a certain weirdo steadfastly defending him back then. He also writes towers of text.

He certainly draws a weird crowd.

Now there is two of them

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited December 2021

@TWC said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

I am a lurker, and I pretty much followed LET even before @cociu's fall from grace. So... unfortunately, I'm only an ass, lol.

I think some of the users saw my post as me bashing @MikePT, even though I was just trying to be honest. A lot of people won't tell you how they feel about something you do if they like you, even if they don't agree with it. They just wouldn't want to hurt your feelings. It's understandable.

What I was trying to say was that I can empathize with what he has been through, I've had it happen many times. Especially when it seems like further business with the person would be possible down the line, so why wouldn't you do them a solid. But then, usually... it turns out that you're either taken for granted, or that it won't matter. So what happens is that you start getting a little angry, hurt, or a little bit of both, and you say things that you shouldn't.

It won't make you paid, it won't make you whole. It only risks alienating your other clients, since no one would like to be talked about in that context. The only right thing to do here is to simply move on and let bygones be bygones.

@cociu is a lot of things, but I don't believe he has an ounce of maliciousness in him. People act differently under pressure, and they generally make terrible decisions. His bad decisions led us to this point. Does that mean that we should not be talking about him? No, but it also doesn't mean that we should make him into someone who wouldn't fix the situation if he could.

I'm kidding, of course. But I stand by what I said, if you fall down the rabbit hole deep enough, you will not be able to do much, if anything at all. So I can understand both sides.

While he did in fact let everyone down, especially with not returning money, and this inside job which exposed the customer database, it still doesn't mean that the situation is beyond repair. I really do hope that he knows that. Especially because it may seem a little hopeless at the moment. But it's just life, and ignoring the issues that we're faced with won't do anything but prolong them, and cause even bigger issues. So in case that he is reading this, try to have a little faith, and talk to people and think of a solution that will make everyone whole -- together.

It may sound a little strange, but a lot of companies have recovered from far worse things than what happened here, and communities like LET can be relied upon, even if to just brainstorm for possible solutions.

its nothing personal. everyone's "trying to be honest" too.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited December 2021

@TWC said:

I've come to somewhat similar conclusions. Short, I don't think he meant and intended malicously, but still, factually he created a massive clusterf_ck. Plus, and that's a major issue, he hardly at all communicated and what little he did tell us customers turned out to be only half true or even a plain lie and his promises turned out to be worthless.

I never was on a team, neither pro-cociu nor anti-cociu. What I was interested in is understanding and getting to a picture that is getting close to what actually happened (incl. within the relevant persons afap).

For me the situation basically was that of civilized well educated people vs. a horde of primitive cowboys with a very simplistic black and white view and a desire to see a lynching; a few in fact showed a real malice and vile character and knowingly spread lies.

... it still doesn't mean that the situation is beyond repair.

Maybe for some. AFAIC HostSolutions/cociu is a corpse; I wouldn't buy anything from such a person.

That's not saying he acted maliciously and had the intention to scam us, maybe it's something psychological or medical or whoknows, but at the end of the day there's only so much damage, lies, and BS one can forgive.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint default
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited December 2021

@jsg said: For me the situation basically was that of civilized well educated people vs. a horde of primitive cowboys with a very simplistic black and white view and a desire to see a lynching;

You think very good about your-self. Haughtiness is a sin on which weak ones always fall.

Borta is a scammer, no matter what POV you choose. Maybe from lawyer perspective you can divide his actions, but in the end it is a scam (blatant lies and run with the money not chargebacked).

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@LTniger said:

@jsg said: For me the situation basically was that of civilized well educated people vs. a horde of primitive cowboys with a very simplistic black and white view and a desire to see a lynching;

You think very good about your-self. Haughtiness is a sin on which weak ones always fall.

No, I think the same about quite a few people here; I'm just one of them. Besides, being civilized and well educated is not "good" but rather a desirable minimum.

Borta is a scammer, no matter what POV you choose. Maybe from lawyer perspective you can divide his actions, but in the end it is a scam (blatant lies and run with the money not chargebacked).

I leave judging to judges and lynch mobs. My interest is in understanding.

• and here comes Jesus!

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @jmgcaguicla said:
    Now there is two of them

*are

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint ehab
  • @cociu said:

@MikaelStrang said: Someone is lying here.

i am not lie nothing , i just tell the breach is true , we are still investigate what is affected here , for this for the moment we have not send any email to any clients , personally i have multiple account screated in hostsolutions.ro with different emails and i have receive only from one the same email ... so what is sure the hacker dont have the full data base (at least personally i suspect have the old data not the new one) .

@cociu is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woohooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@zafouhar said: @cociu is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to being banned.

• @DP said:

@zafouhar said: @cociu is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to being banned.

Long time overdue.

• @LTniger said:

Whenever someone says something is a sin on the Internet, my first reaction is, "oh, fuck off".

Thanked by 1FrankZ
    edited December 2021

@TimboJones said:
    Whenever someone says something is a sin on the Internet, my first reaction is, "oh, fuck off".

This much agree. A sin my arse.

Telling others their sin itself is a sin.

• MikaelStrangMikaelStrang Member
    edited December 2021

Feel like it should be added that beyond a reasonable doubt GDPR laws have been violated at this point in time. Cociu was told about the breach but no notification has been sent out yet to the aforementioned 11k customers. This is highly irresponsible of him and shows a lack of caring about notifying people about their data being stolen.

cociu has known for well over 72 hours now about the breach. No notification sent out. This would be a violation of GDPR Laws.

https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/blog/does-the-gdpr-apply-to-old-data-breaches
    "You can’t conceal any breaches you become aware of, either. The GDPR requires data processors to report all breaches of personal data to data controllers, and data controllers to report breaches to the ICO within 72 hours of becoming aware if there is a risk to data subjects’ rights and freedoms."

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • My thought is that cociu lost his database of customers and his friend Calin tried to trick the hacker into sending it to him for cociu.

• @Moofie said:
    My thought is that cociu lost his database of customers and his friend Calin tried to trick the hacker into sending it to him for cociu.

If he doesn't have a backup I think he should've said that from the start so people know lol... although it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have a backup tbh.

• @MikaelStrang said:

@Moofie said:
    My thought is that cociu lost his database of customers and his friend Calin tried to trick the hacker into sending it to him for cociu.

If he doesn't have a backup I think he should've said that from the start so people know lol... although it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have a backup tbh.

This is cociu, what do you expect? lol

• @Moofie said: This is cociu, what do you expect? lol

HAHA. right said. Why would he be serious to have any kind of backup??

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • Backup, backup what are backups is completely overrated.

You could have taken a thousand euros and bought a decent LTO drive and backed up the data once initial for the worst emergency.