Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSolutions hacked? - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSolutions hacked?

Comments

• @sandoz said:

@MikePT said:
    Also got this email from a hacker - I've told cociu numerous times that his website was compromised and he had to sort it.

So if you have his contacts, why you don't try to clarify if is him or not?

Someone already messaged the dude on Skype and confirmed it was him. You might have missed a few pages. To

This things MUST be clarified.

Nothing ever needs clarification. It does tell a better story however.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @KermEd said:

@Andrews said:

1. The Taco Boy who tried to cover whole Romanian scam for two months: jsg (taken away crown of the King Of Fake Benchmarks)

What do you have against tacos, you anti-tacoite?

tacos are fine, only this taco boy tried to cheat on us :D

• deankdeank Member, Troll

What? Isn't he a perfume boy?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@KermEd said:

@Andrews said:

1. The Taco Boy who tried to cover whole Romanian scam for two months: jsg (taken away crown of the King Of Fake Benchmarks)

https://www.reddit.com/r/TimPool/comments/rmbi0a/jack_murphy_gets_a_shout_out_on_rekieta_law/

Francisco

• @Andrews said:

@KermEd said:

@Andrews said:

tacos are fine, only this taco boy tried to cheat on us :D

I'm not sure what you are saying - why is he a taco boy?

He is a perfume boy unless he was selling tacos at one point of his lives.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2021

Hmm, I did not get any e-mail with my data :( Normally I would pester jar to check the logs, but I've done this too many times already and he got his e-mail (so I assume mxroute does not block that) ;)
    I was relatively new client to HS here from LET, so maybe it never reached my ID while sending e-mails.

iirc I paid via NETOPIA Payments/mobilpay.ro so I assume this is provider like Stripe and HostSolution never seen my card details... on the other hand this is Romanian company so who the fuck knows >:D (They don't have good track record here, right?).

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2021

Date in my database states: 2021-11-19 - so hacking can't be lower that this date, otherwise it could not be recorded. We must assume the worst case scenario.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@sandoz said:

@MikePT said:
    Also got this email from a hacker - I've told cociu numerous times that his website was compromised and he had to sort it.

So if you have his contacts, why you don't try to clarify if is him or not? Probably his account from LET have been also hacked... Not surprised. Also a good explanation about Calin and that should be great, for all customers and clients of lowendtalk and end the year without more drama and shady things.

@deank said:
    In case you didn't know, @MikeET used to work as a support rep.

The dude has tried to help cicou more than once but he would not listen. Don't you dare crucify him.

Yep. I tried to help him many, many times. He lied to me consistently.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

I don't typically agree... but "The end is nigh" sounds pretty accurate.

• @MikePT said:

@sandoz said:

@MikePT said:

So if you have his contacts, why you don't try to clarify if is him or not? Probably his account from LET have been also hacked... Not surprised. Also a good explanation about Calin and that should be great, for all customers and clients of lowendtalk and end the year without more drama and shady things.

@deank said:

The dude has tried to help cicou more than once but he would not listen. Don't you dare crucify him.

this is the only thing cociu is consistent on.

oh and the downtimes too

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited December 2021

@JabJab said:
    Hmm, I did not get any e-mail with my data :( Normally I would pester jar to check the logs, but I've done this too many times already and he got his e-mail (so I assume mxroute does not block that) ;)
    I was relatively new client to HS here from LET, so maybe it never reached my ID while sending e-mails.

iirc I paid via NETOPIA Payments/mobilpay.ro so I assume this is provider like Stripe and HostSolution never seen my card details... on the other hand this is Romanian company so who the fuck knows >:D (They don't have good track record here, right?).

They said they couldn’t send all the emails and some got spammed at different points.

• @MikePT said:

@sandoz said:

@MikePT said:

@deank said:

With all due respect, making negative comments about your past client publicly does a great disservice to you both as a businessman and as a human being.

The fact that you were receiving money from him at one point makes your opinions biased and untrustworthy, and you should therefore refrain from making any public comments which aren't of the: "I provided X services for HostSolutions.ro from xx-xx-xxxx until xx-xx-xxxx and I am no longer involved with them in any capacity whatsoever, so I cannot comment on any matters concerning HostSolutions.ro" kind.

That would be the only response you should make about him anywhere or to anyone, otherwise you risk alienating any future (or current) clients and making them wonder whether or not you're going to be making any public comments about them should they fall from grace.

In any case; this "hack" reminds me of the Epik situation, and I believe the best way to describe it is a sabotage from within. Epik's sabotage was to either get clout (kinda what you get when you hire skids who are or were involved in the hacking scene) or someone paid one of the many incompetent Staff that they hired, and HostSolutions' sabotage was an opportunistic one. The "kick them while they're down" kind by someone who is providing similar services, and who stands to gain if HostSolutions is gone for good.

Don't get me wrong, HostSolutions was extremely negligent, unpredictable and just all-around incompetent right from the start, but I don't believe any of their (or rather Marius') actions were of a malicious nature.

While it doesn't make the situation any less worse, it does call for some compassion (if such a thing can even exist in the hosting business).

Thanked by 1vedran
  • I smell some Drama..

Welcome to the new LET Lecturer @TWC.. lol

• shots fired!!!!

• @chocolateshirt said:
    I smell some Drama..

Welcome to the new LET Lecturer @TWC.. lol

I despise drama! :D

On a serious note, and Cociu's gross incompetence aside, I don't believe some of the comments are warranted, especially if they're coming from a past contractor. Especially because we don't know what he let slide while he was getting paid, and to be honest, if you are the least bit serious about your work. You won't make comments about your clients, even if they're the Cociu type.

If you're not involved in anything shady and/or negligent, and aren't working for them anymore, then you simply don't comment.

What possible legitimate reason could you have for commenting on something that doesn't pertain to you anymore? You can't say that you're defending your character by alleging that you informed your ex-employer about being hacked, and that they didn't do anything about it.

It does a great disservice to you as well, not only because it's unprofessional, but also because you had prior knowledge of a serious data breach, but you continued to sit on it while it wasn't public, but decided to rub some salt in the wound of your former employer once it was public.

Classy!

• @TWC said: What possible legitimate reason could you have for commenting on something that doesn't pertain to you anymore?

You can read the involucration thread, MikePT handled their support for a long time and as a result some suspected them of being the troublemaker rather than HS.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

All that is of interest to me re. @MikePT is that he enormously enhanced HS's support, HS support with and without MikePT was like day vs night.

Thank you for that MikePT!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jsg said:
    All that is of interest to me re. @MikePT is that he enormously enhanced HS's support, HS support with and without MikePT was like day vs night.

Thanks mate, I appreciate the kind words!

I get what @TWC says but truth is, even after I closed our agreement, I still helped cociu, to the best of his clients. It's not like I'm being an ass towards cociu. I didn't give up on him completely and tried to make things better, even AFTER I stopped providing him with tech services/support, so the help I gave him after that was pretty much free of charge. I can comment here, I've done everything for him.

Thanked by 1not_dilligaf
  • @stevewatson301 said:

@TWC said: What possible legitimate reason could you have for commenting on something that doesn't pertain to you anymore?

You can read the involucration thread, MikePT handled their support for a long time and as a result some suspected them of being the troublemaker rather than HS.

I do recall vaguely, especially in regards to him saying he's not getting paid anymore, etc. It's just best not to let yourself be led by your emotions. If a client stops paying you (or responding to you) for one reason or another, you just move on. You lose far more if you take it personally.

@MikePT said:

@jsg said:

I get what @TWC says but truth is, even after I closed our agreement, I still helped cociu, to the best of his clients. It's not like I'm being an ass towards cociu. I didn't give up on him completely and tried to make things better, even AFTER I stopped providing him with tech services/support, so the help I gave him after that was pretty much free of charge. I can comment here, I've done everything for him.

I can empathize, not only because it happened to me a fair amount, but because it also has to be frustrating, and worrisome, especially if he was a bigger client. But still, we will probably disagree on the fact that you should let it go. The only way other people will interpret your posts is like you're rubbing salt in the wound by saying that he's so uncaring and incompetent that he did nothing about his website being "hacked". Some things we either need to disclose publicly (if we feel a sense of responsibility), or simply keep them to ourselves.

edited December 2021

LET in a nutshell.

A 3rd party support person (ETmike) chose to help out those in need after his contract expired.

Then get called a scammer later.

• @TWC said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@TWC said: What possible legitimate reason could you have for commenting on something that doesn't pertain to you anymore?

I do recall vaguely, especially in regards to him saying he's not getting paid anymore, etc. It's just best not to let yourself be led by your emotions. If a client stops paying you (or responding to you) for one reason or another, you just move on. You lose far more if you take it personally.

@MikePT said:

@jsg said:

I can empathize, not only because it happened to me a fair amount, but because it also has to be frustrating, and worrisome, especially if he was a bigger client. But still, we will probably disagree on the fact that you should let it go. The only way other people will interpret your posts is like you're rubbing salt in the wound by saying that he's so uncaring and incompetent that he did nothing about his website being "hacked". Some things we either need to disclose publicly (if we feel a sense of responsibility), or simply keep them to ourselves.

Who are you?

• Wow.. LET Academy has been started and Professor @TWC lecturing LET resident now.. lol..

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @deank said:
    LET in a nutshell.

A 3rd party support person (ETmike) chose to help out those in need after his contract expired.

Then get called a scammer later.

Read the tone of his posts, and then tell me that it's not someone who harbored certain type of feelings towards Cociu for how things went. If someone was just trying to help, they wouldn't talk about the money. They would just say that their contract ended, what they can do, etc. They wouldn't say that their advice was ignored. That's just... unprofessional.

Who called him a scammer, btw?

• I have one question, professor @TWC, did you properly read the involucration saga?

Doesn't that shit have 14k posts? Who can go through that shit? Unless, of course, one lived in it.

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • @chocolateshirt said:
    I have one question, professor @TWC, did you properly read the involucration saga?

On and off, with my morning coffees. My posts may have been a tad too harsh, but I haven't even alluded to @MikePT being a scammer of any sort, nor would I. He's a decent person, and probably one of the most trustworthy around here, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't point something out if you think that it's wrong.

In this case, I just genuinely believe that you should say nothing if you're going to help (most likely thinking you're going to do business with the person again), but then publicly denounce them after it's clear that you're not going to. That's all. It doesn't make him a bad person, it makes him human.

90% of threads on LET are caused by people who can hardly read.

Asking such people to read a material that will take 10+ hours to read is a tough call. Not gonna happen.

• @TWC said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    I have one question, professor @TWC, did you properly read the involucration saga?

but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't point something out if you think that it's wrong.

i believe thats what he did.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @TWC said: On and off, with my morning coffees.

Before you get into Host(dis)solution debates with others, check your "to-do" list: