Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month - Page 96
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month

Comments

• @Maounique said:
    Who cancelled their VPSes and got to replace them with the OVH offer in the last month ? Since we are sold-out for more than a month on most things, I cant say how the demand fluctuated.

I will. It just takes some time and preparation since I'm on a few yearly VPS and storage plans.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Many people "will". I am interested who did already, if you know you get a better deal with a serious company (not a LEB player that sells cheap therefore is bad, unlike OVH which sells expensive therefore is good), who cares about the remaining time, at 3 Eur a month it is practically free, so you can consolidate all the 256 MB lebs into a 2 GB dedi and save enough for a beer and maybe a pizza too !
    People who care for their data should already move out from the murky waters of the dying LEB industry into the Olympian World of dedi owners with a reputable and big company with a million servers and such.
    It is a no brainer, the smart people moved already, only us, the others, remained here.

• After 4 weeks with my 2g i have to say: I'm not impressed. The RAM is more than i need, i'm afraid to use it for storage since it's only 1 single drive and the network has frequent (weekly) hiccups. I'll probably just move my stuff back to my Prometeus VPS since then i don't have to worry so much about hardware problems (and it's also a lot cheaper).

Thanked by 1Maounique

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    , i'm afraid to use it for storage since it's only 1 single drive and the network has frequent (weekly) hiccups.

Regarding one drive issue, it is simple, just get 2, but that wont solve the network issue, you can still go around it by retrying failed backups until they go through.

For 500 GB space that you can export any way you want and almost unlimited network, KS2Gs are great, even without redundancy.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

wont solve the network issue

What network issue? I had my ZNC connected for months from my KS2G. Maybe it's something about the GRA DC while they're just setting it up and testing out everything.

go around it by retrying failed backups

Rsync in the "in-place" mode resumes a failed transfer about from the precise byte position where it got interrupted.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @gsrdgrdghd said:
    After 4 weeks with my 2g i have to say: I'm not impressed. The RAM is more than i need, i'm afraid to use it for storage since it's only 1 single drive and the network has frequent (weekly) hiccups. I'll probably just move my stuff back to my Prometeus VPS since then i don't have to worry so much about hardware problems (and it's also a lot cheaper).

I've had no issues with the network. I'm using a ramnode vps in NL for backups and obviously you can increase the amount of hdd as needed by upgrading. One drive isn't much of a concern considering these drives as brand new.

• Problem is: i don't need that much. I put my important files (few hundred mb) encrypted into my Glacier/S3 account and that's about it. I've considered using it as some kind of OCH for myself (with Ajaxplorer) but 4€/month seems to be to expensive for a box that's almost always idle.

I've had no issues with the network.

It's probably related to single switched/segments. I'm running a Teamspeak server on mine and there were several occasions where the whole server just went down for 1-2 minutes or lagged really bad.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Problem is: i don't need that much. I put my important files (few hundred mb) encrypted into my Glacier/S3 account and that's about it. I've considered using it as some kind of OCH for myself (with Ajaxplorer) but 4€/month seems to be to expensive for a box that's almost always idle.

It's probably related to single switched/segments. I'm running a Teamspeak server on mine and there were several occasions where the whole server just went down for 1-2 minutes or lagged really bad.

Yeah I guess they overload since they are offering 100mbps unmetered. I'd prefer a 5TB allowance and to have a more stable network if I were having your problems. But for some reason they're doing the 100mbps unmetered.

• @Maounique said:
    It is a no brainer, the smart people moved already, only us, the others, remained here.

Hmmmm... I own ("rent"?) VPSes, cloud servers, dedicated servers...

And yes, I like stumbling upon a good discount/deal, and if the server is good, I keep it. It happened many times, and several such servers do work for years and serve me well.

LEB isn't dying, AFAIK It;s just like free hosting industry. The absolute majority of free hosts comes and vanishes into thin air quite soon: abusive users, inability to manage hosting, inability to monetize it, many a reason. Yet there are few that survived through years and who offer quite good hosting, even though it's free.

Any industry where one service provider can't satisfy needs of every user grows, majority of competitors deteriorate and vanish, but several reliable, good ones stay.

• ztecztec Member
    edited August 2013

got my second. I'm gonna whore these babies out to the max!

Does anyone have more than 100mbit with their ks2g models?

• xsetxset Member

@ztec no, switch port is set to 100 Mbps on all Kimsufis. If you use a lot of bw you might get limited to 10 Mbps.

edited August 2013

@Master_Bo said:

Ehm, looks like I should have put the sarcasm sign a bit more into the open :P

• ztecztec Member

@xset said:
    ztec no, switch port is set to 100 Mbps on all Kimsufis. If you use a lot of bw you might get limited to 10 Mbps.

I want to use a lot but I have no clue how to do that while staying legal. :D Well I have some ideas but they take too much of my time.

• xsetxset Member
    edited August 2013

Everything and nothing

From what i know connectivity itself is not bad, i think it might be the change for DDoS protection launch preparations or switches being unplugged/replugged since you say it is some 2 min at a time, it is about the time needed to plug/unplug 48 ports. Maybe they change upstream 1 gbps switches or so. I do not expect this to last, it is probably one collateral problem from the switches shortage.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Anyone willing to give me their 2g to me? :3

If you use a lot of bw you might get limited to 10 Mbps.

This is not the case with the new b/w ToS.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • chrispchrisp Member
    edited August 2013

@rm_ said:
    This is not the case with the new b/w ToS.

But they could always find a reason for limiting you with the new TOS that forbids almost everything that eats up bandwidth. They "can't guarantee the bandwidth" if you do something that generates traffic like torrenting or download platforms. I still think of ways to max my box out from the first day it arrives, so if you have some good advices.. ;)

Maxing out CPU and RAM is easy with several distributed computing projects, but how could you use the bandwidth in a sensible way, that also won't hurt their TOS.

with the new TOS that forbids almost everything that eats up bandwidth

It does not forbid anything that eats up bandwidth.

• after 30 days, no refund, no server, nothing...pure polish scam, ..

• Yeah they don't forbid anything, but clearly they are not interested in clients using the 100 mbit unlimited so they say if you do something like torrenting or download platforms they can't guarantee the bandwidth, which means they will make sure they find reasons to not let you make more than lets say 3tb a month.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

for some people only, I received my server after 13 days or something.

@MorningIris said:
    after 30 days, no refund, no server, nothing...pure polish scam, ..

i am sorry ovh did not deliver as they expected they would, but I think they received too many orders, they did not expect such a great reaction

but, if they are 'bad', 'a polish scam', 'the worse provider', 'having network problems', 'treating customers like dirt', etc, why did so many people order?

• @spekk said:
    for some people only, I received my server after 13 days or something.
    but, if they are 'bad', 'a polish scam', 'worse provider, 'having network problems', etc, why did so many people order?

Because its cheap. Do I like having a cheap box to mess with? Yes. Would I consider using them for serious purposes with that crappy support? Nope, never. I know many LEB providers that are WAY better than OVH, but that offer is just nice so people order it.

• well, it means the complainers had the same idea in their mind when they ordered, and now because some didn't get it are bashing it 24/7.

they say if you do something like torrenting or download platforms they can't guarantee the bandwidth

Again, they say nothing of the sort.

Will we continue this, or you will stop being so retarded and finally realize that the ToS that you're referring to (with all the restrictions), is not longer the latest? And that you missed the 24th July ToS update?

• MatiMati Member
    edited August 2013

@MorningIris said:
    after 30 days, no refund, no server, nothing...pure polish scam, ..

pure redneck.

I hope you at least know where Poland is (but actually I wouldn't bet my money on it)

• @Mati You should know the owner is Polish, I pity you..

• MatiMati Member
    edited August 2013

his parents are, i don't know if he even speaks polish.

1. Anyway the company operates and is registered in France
    2. So from now on every deadpooled or unreliable US provider is "american scam"
    3. being "polish scam" doesn't stop OVH from being one of the top (size-wise) providers in the world
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Again with The Polish scam?! Dame, i sony know whos The worst, upsetcvps or you :/

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@MorningIris said:
    Mati You should know the owner is Polish, I pity you..

Seriously, what has this got to do with anything. Say if the owner was Korean or American, it will still make no difference, if a guy is a dork, he's a dork, no matter which country he's from.

Thanked by 1DennisdeWit
This discussion has been closed.