Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean is a joke! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean is a joke!

Comments

• NoermanNoerman Member

DO just..

@unused said: Great for testing and temporary vms,

Completely agree about it.

• I don't use DigitalOcean for any crucial stuffs
    I only use them for experimenting my scripts/setup/etc

• I think Cloud Hosting/VPS come with cloud infrastructure and will fall over another node automatically if one node fail?

Or I am too old-fashion with the new marketing term of DigitalOcean's "cloud vps"?

• marcmmarcm Member

@khuongcomputer said: I think Cloud Hosting/VPS come with cloud infrastructure and will fall over another node automatically if one node fail?

@khuongcomputer - In theory yes but...

@khuongcomputer said: Or I am too old-fashion with the new marketing term of DigitalOcean's "cloud vps"?

No, no, you're not... in fact you hit the spot with this comment just about right :D

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

@khuongcomputer said: I think Cloud Hosting/VPS come with cloud infrastructure and will fall over another node automatically if one node fail?

Or I am too old-fashion with the new marketing term of DigitalOcean's "cloud vps"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Cloud computing is the use of computing resources (hardware and software) that are delivered as a service over a network (typically the Internet).

Google's Definition:

The practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet to store, manage, and process data, rather than a local server...

http://searchcloudcomputing.techtarget.com/definition/cloud-computing

A cloud service has three distinct characteristics that differentiate it from traditional hosting. It is sold on demand, typically by the minute or the hour; it is elastic -- a user can have as much or as little of a service as they want at any given time; and the service is fully managed by the provider (the consumer needs nothing but a personal computer and Internet access). Significant innovations in virtualization and distributed computing, as well as improved access to high-speed Internet and a weak economy, have accelerated interest in cloud computing.

Or the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology)'s definition:

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-145/SP800-145.pdf

Cloud computing is a model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. This cloud model is composed of five essential characteristics, three service models, and four deployment

models.

Basically, it can be (fall over to another node) but it doesn't have to be. Basically, yeah its a marketing term. I've seen VPS being defined as Virtual Premium Servers too... which are again marketing terms.

• klikliklikli Member

I asked them previously, and I was told that they don't have auto-failover in place. But the reason I am staying with DO is that they house their servers at premium datacenters, so I don't have to worry about things like earthquake etc.

• @Nick_A said: performance is much better on smaller ones.

And easier to manage? :P

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited May 2013

they house their servers at premium datacenters, so I don't have to worry about things like earthquake etc.

Their data centers aren't nuke proof. If you really want to be safe colo a server here :)

• upfreakupfreak Member

@hdpixel said: Be careful if you sign up with them. They credited $50 on my account.

This sounds like an invitation. I would prefer to take the burden of trusting them if you can transfer the credits to me. savvy?

• gnugeekgnugeek Member

Im confused, if theres no failover vps, can anyone define the "Simple Cloud Hosting" term from DO?

• NoermanNoerman Member

@gnugeek said: Im confused, if theres no failover vps, can anyone define the "Simple Cloud Hosting" term from DO?

@zagi said: Hey guys, Ben from DigitalOcean

@zagi Maybe Ben can answer it.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@klikli said: so I don't have to worry about things like earthquake etc.

Can anyone really say that in San Fran? I mean that seriously - do they build earthquake-proof DCs there?

• ChanChan Member

@klikli said: they house their servers at premium datacenters, so I don't have to worry about things like earthquake etc.

You should get VPSes from providers which utilizes bullet-proof and blast-proof servers then

• used digitalocean for 3 months and in that period they lost all backup's in NY including mine. Other than that I can`t complain. I'd say give em another go.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited May 2013

And now their Amsterdam is scheduled for maintenance. Nothing wrong though, every providers do that.

During the above maintenance window we will be doing work on our network in Amsterdam. We will need to reconfigure our network settings which may cause a brief network outage.

Our maintenance window may affect your servers: '[removed]'

Maintenance Window Start Time: 02:00 AM UTC 5/08/2013
    Maintenance Window End Time: 06:00 AM UTC 5/08/2013
    Maintenance Window Duration: 4 hours

Impact: Two possible 1-5 minute brief interruptions or possibly high latency periods when we drop and reconnect one of our provider uplinks.
    Reason:  During the above maintenance one of our providers will be upgrading their routing equipment for expanded capacity. During this upgrade we will be disabling the uplink and later re-enabling which may cause a brief interruption in service (1-5) minutes while all network routes reconverge.

https://www.digitalocean.com/support
  • LeeLee Veteran

@DalComp said: And now their Amsterdam is scheduled for maintenance. Nothing wrong though, every providers do that.

To be fair at least it's clear and they are actually telling you about it, still so many don't even bother.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

@DalComp said: And now their Amsterdam is scheduled for maintenance. Nothing wrong though, every providers do that.

Then why the hell did you choose to start with "And now" there, like "this is yet another one in a long sequence of events proving that DigitalOcean can't be trusted".
    Or how exactly is this maintenance announcement even relevant to be posted in a thread titled like this one? "How dare they interrupt their network for 1-5 minutes to do some irrelevant shit like network capacity upgrade, telling you hours in advance they're going to do that. Truly what a joke.", or something?

Thanked by 1marrco
  • upfreakupfreak Member

@rm_ said: "What a joke, how dare they interrupt their network for 1-5 minutes, telling you hours in advance they're going to do that."

Joke 2 : If they knew there will be interruption in their network hours in advance, why they cant rectify it instead of mailing everyone? ;D

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited May 2013

@rm_ said:Then why the hell did you choose to start with "And now" there, like "this is yet another one in a long sequence of events proving that DigitalOcean can't be trusted".

Well, we had private data leak, slow network unless you provide verification, resize function broken, running out of IP, clients data wiped out. I'm not saying they can't be trusted, though I do believe there are a lot of room for improvement.

However, related to the announcement I posted above, I admit it was my mistake to post it in early morning (my time). Guess I wasn't really awake, and stopped reading at 4 hours maintenance. If deemed inappropriate, of course I can remove the post.

• marcmmarcm Member

@DalComp said: Well, we had private data leak, slow network unless you provide verification, resize function broken, running out of IP, clients data wiped out. I'm not saying they can't be trusted, though I do believe there are a lot of room for improvement.

@DalComp - Which part of this seems acceptable to you?

• DalCompDalComp Member

@marcm said: Which part of this seems acceptable to you?

Diminishing IPv4

• Digitalocean have poor support when got dmca, not recommended! thx

• @rohidev said:
    Digitalocean have poor support when got dmca, not recommended! thx

Sheesh, what a grave dig. This post is 2 years old man >_<

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

@rohidev said:
    Digitalocean have poor support when got dmca, not recommended! thx

Man, things have changed since I last posted in this thread, that's for sure. If you would like a second look at your ticket, feel free to PM me. However, a U.S. based company cannot ignore a legitimate DMCA. If you feel it is not legitimate, and/or that you were treated unfairly, let me know and I will get to the bottom of it. You have my word on that.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Mark_R
  • silly _ joke

• I guess they still don't replicate your data and server to multiple nodes so they are not a real cloud provider....it's like a VPS provider. They don't have any HA or failover :(

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Vendetta necro is the best kind of necro.

• rohidev said: Digitalocean have poor support when got dmca, not recommended! thx

yeah this true, my account get suspend forever because dmca.

• J1021J1021 Member

@andrewn said:
    I guess they still don't replicate your data and server to multiple nodes so they are not a real cloud provider....it's like a VPS provider. They don't have any HA or failover :(

Cloud doesn't mean HA. HA is just that, if you want it look for it.

Thanked by 1wych
  • vedranvedran Veteran

@Jar are you working for DO now?