Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you look for in buying a VPS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you look for in buying a VPS ?

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hello guys,

Question is more for customers and not providers. What do u look for other than cost and specifications of a VPS in making your final decision on buying one.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited April 2013

Reputation? If the host is a complete scam, I wouldn't even pay $1 for a 2GB VPS because I know i'll never get it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I like to get the impression the host has a track record and knows what they are doing, I usually open an account and drop a support ticket in at some random time to test them.

When is your hosting company starting?

• @AnthonySmith said: When is your hosting company starting?

Also wondering this.

• wdqwdq Member

I'll read through all of their policies, then do a WHOIS on their domain name, look up the people in the WHOIS, then do searches for the company on LET/WHT. I guess a host background check sort of thing.

• DylanDylan Member

Whether the provider a) owns their own hardware and b) is (relatively) local to their primary datacenter.

• When i buy some vps i go looking for:

• Price, Where is situated, What they give by this price.
    • I know, if someone give to you 4 cpu cores, 2gb ram for 7$ it's - false, and node will be overloaded.
    • I am looking for VPS provider webiste, for test ip, for other information about vps (cpu speed, etc info); If it's have no info = no buy it, because if no basic info about basic sings what can i do with vps, i drop this VPS provider. Because if owners of this provider are lazy to add it, why i can be sure if they wont be lazy for help me?
    • Support! I'm request some custom support question, before buy vps, i ask about test ip (if i not find it), i ask about hardware what used, and node speed, i ask about (hey guys, my services not dangerous, but anyway, if i get ddos, what will be happed) and only good providers tell me true about nullrouting etc things, and what they will do.
      And i really respect providers who say true!

• I am using just-ping.com services to know what ping from different countryes.

• I am using serverbear.com to get (if it announced on serverbeaer) benchmarks test.

That's all.

Anyway, not for advesrting. but i was surprised by IperWeb services. It's really have all:

• good support.
    • quality hardware and vps on that.
    • not overloaded.
    • good internet connection.
    • good informative and easy website.
    • good benchmarks
    • good reviews from different guys (i do not belive to "someone" reviews);

I think many providers here must get in example Iperweb services.

P.S. sorry for my worth english.

• own hardware
    own ip
    lots of good reviews
    owner knowledgeable and carries himself well

• @jcaleb said: own ip

With the current IPV4 situtation, it will be really difficult for startups to get their own IPv4s and getting them from DC is easier as well.

• @serverian said: Also wondering this.

+1

• JacobJacob Member

@seriesn It'll be easier in July when ARIN lower the fees.

There's still plenty of options out there.

• @Jacob said: ARIN lower the fees.

Sounds like an utopia?

• The quarterly polls on LET.

• @Jacob said: ARIN lower the fees.

Finally.

• @seriesn said: With the current IPV4 situtation, it will be really difficult for startups to get their own IPv4s and getting them from DC is easier as well.

that i understand. but its a big plus

• @jcaleb said: that i understand. but its a big plus

Gotcha.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013
    1. Sustainability. I have never bought a $7 for 2-3GB + of RAM. It's either unsustainable, extremely oversold, or (very likely) both. I don't want that.
    2. Reviews, of course.
    3. Network quality/datacenter.
    4. IPv6, or at least serious plans for it. Not ChicagoVPS "IPv6 coming soon" type of plans. Either that or KVM where I can fairly easily tunnel it, by I obviously prefer native. IPv6 is the future, and a host that doesn't want to bother with future proofing doesn't have any future with me as a client.
    5. Reasonable price/performance/specs ratio. For OpenVZ (most of my VPSes), I consider $5/month for 512MB a max, scaling up and down from there. See also number 1.
    6. Refund policy. Not crucial, but for obvious reasons there's a decent chance I'll pick up a VPS if I know I can get a refund.

With all of that said, I'm still a big sucker for cheap yearly VPSes, especially 512MB ones. If it's cheap enough, I'll bypass a lot of that, though I do have some companies with a mental AVOID sticker stuck on them. (ChicagoVPS, mostly.) The reason I can bypass number one in these cases is that these are precisely the type that LEBers buy and leave idle the whole time, so even though it's oversold I'll probably get decent performance.

As to keeping me as a customer, if I get good support times, friendly support, and a "personal" feel, you've got me hooked.

• wilbowilbo Member

I research the host on Google, WHT and here. Then I look for instant activation. I want my server NOW, not in an hour or two when you get good and ready, NOW!!

• I don't have any problem with non-instant activation, at least if it's intended to prevent fraud. Of course, then there's the type of activation that doesn't happen, but that's a different story. Still, most of the providers I've been with have just happened to have instant activation, so that's fine by me.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Ishaq said: Reputation?

That's it.

@jcaleb said: owner knowledgeable and carries himself well

Yep - high correlation between arrogant jerkhood and deadpoolery.

• lots of templates too. sometimes its nice to learn installing things, but sometimes you just don't have time and want certain template (e.g. gitlab) and be done with it. very convenient.

• @jcaleb said: that i understand. but its a big plus

Why having own ips is a big plus? Can someone tell me?

• Everything mentioned above, plus 24/7 customer support is big deal for me.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2013

@serverian said: Why having own ips is a big plus? Can someone tell me?

means provider is bigger, and more invested into the business. it means less likely fly by night

• @jcaleb said: means provider is bigger, and more invested into the business. it means less likely fly by night

It also means that they are not tied to a datacenter. They have the ability to move to a new one and have their IPs re-announced.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

@derrys said: 24/7 customer support is big deal for me.

I just aim for a provider in the same timezone as me, so in all likelihood they will be awake doing support at the same time as I am. But really, are your problems that pressing? Are your VPSes mission-critical, as in, if they go down you will lose substantial amounts of money? If so, 24/7 support or no, you shouldn't be on a LEB.

• @jcaleb, How would you know if they rent the IPs from a broker with their info listed on the IP whois?

• @jcaleb said: carries himself well

+1 which is another reason I love the forums being too misanthropic is never a good thing and has swayed me already