Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large backup solution LEB perhaps?!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Large backup solution LEB perhaps?!

ATHKATHK Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hey Providers!

I am looking for a large storage solution to backup some files of mine, I am in need of around 2 or 3TB the files will be rsync'd (limited speed) to the server so I don't believe I will need a system with a lot of RAM or a large CPU, bandwidth would be limited as I only get 200GB on my home connection. I plan on using maybe 50GB to 100GB a month of that to upload to the server accompanied with my poor upload speed of 100kb/s (to Australian servers sure it'll be a lot slower to the US).

This is purely just a backup solution, I would love a yearly plan in the LEB range if possible!

If you could just reply to this post with an offer that'll be fantastic :D

Comments

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited March 2013

Kimsufi!!

2-3TB storage for 7$ won't happen unless it is a miracle.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I believe @fliphost could set you up with something like that.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited March 2013

@seriesn not sure what that is :P, I googled it. I think I would rather something in the US as it's a lot closer to Australia.

Plus that website is a mess ... http://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/ nice large banner taking up the entire screen ... very professional lol!

@RobertClarke thanks!

• ATHKATHK Member

@DestroyeRCo not really what I am looking for, I was hoping for the storage to be on one server again 2 -3 TB's worth of hard disk space and not in the UK, with the specs I want I should be able to get a better price as I do not need much RAM CPU or Bandwidth, If I was to purchase one from that site it would be a complete waste.

• @ATHK would be difficult to find somebody that would sell you a VPS with 3TB. That's why I'm saying that you should go for a cheap dedi. (OVH has more locations e.g. Canada)

• The best price I could do for RAID60 2TB is $45/month. Not overselling is a problem :(

Located in Los Angeles.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited March 2013

Wow I thought bandwidth/cpu/ram would be more expensive than hdd space? I'll let the offers flow in (hopefully) and see what happens $45 a month is out of my budget I could just buy a NAS at that rate and do it myself :P

But thanks for the offer @concerto49

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I would as well be around $45 with $40 being the best I could do

• @ATHK said: Wow I thought bandwidth/cpu/ram would be more expensive than hdd space?

Not really. Ask anyone hosting anything and it's HDD if it's NOT oversold. You have RAID cards and disks for RAID.

What is your budget?

• ATHKATHK Member

Sorry wrote that on my mobile, what's NOT oversold? sorry never heard that before.

I was hoping for around a yearly price somewhere in the $50 - 100 range, but now that you've explained somethings I don't see it happening... :(

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ATHK said: I was hoping for around a yearly price somewhere in the $50 - 100 range, but now that you've explained somethings I don't see it happening... :(

Good luck.

Most of the storage offers are based on OpenVZ and that's a bag of retarded waiting to let loose.

If you don't need to PULL the data out much you could check with amazon glacier?

Francisco

• @ATHK just remote hands cost to replace a failed drive or 2 might cost more than what you've quoted.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

I would also think that 2-3 tb warrants a local NAS. It will be very slow over internet, i have a problem with my dedi in my own town and 7-8 MB/s, it still takes some good hours for 300-400 GB files to upload. It will probably be months on your connection.
    Invest in a big drive and a small USB NAS unless you wish to put the drive directly in the PC. Or get 2 and make a mirror to be sure.

• ATHKATHK Member

Yea thank guys, looks like a NAS is the only option at this time! :(

• @Francisco said: If you don't need to PULL the data out much you could check with amazon glacier?

This, Amazon S3 and then have old archives or backups go to glacier.

http://s3tools.org/s3cmd

Though it still won't be $7 but I think it is still relatively cheap.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

2 TB means 20 dollars a month.
    It is not that cheap, even if we do not consider the extras, like the overcharge if you ever need that back.

• Check out Crashplan, I pay $4 month and have 3.2TB as of their last weekly email. Putting it up took 2 months but I could have opted to have them send me an HDD and mailed it back.
    I've had them for 2 years and I'm pretty happy with the service.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@talsit said: Crashplan

+1. I have 1.9TB on my CrashPlanPro account and 130GB on my CrashPlan+ account.

• @KuJoe said: +1. I have 1.9TB on my CrashPlanPro account and 130GB on my CrashPlan+ account.

How much is CrashPlanPro?

• I don't know, I just use the plus version, run my backups from networked PCs to an ArchLinux server, push those up to CP so I'm only technically backing up one PC to their service.

@HalfEatenPie said: How much is CrashPlanPro?

I'm paying $7.49/month.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: +1. I have 1.9TB on my CrashPlanPro account and 130GB on my CrashPlan+ account.

I have CrashPlan+ and have:

273201 2.2TB

• ATHKATHK Member

Thanks guys!

• earlearl Member

Why do you need a NAS can't you just use an external HD? something like the WD elements.. then you don't have to worry about bandwidth being too slow or going over your cap..

I think they are cheap enough!

• @earl said: Why do you need a NAS can't you just use an external HD? something like the WD elements.. then you don't have to worry about bandwidth being too slow or going over your cap..

Its definitely possible he wants a dedicated machine to handle the backups. It could also be his personal preference. Personally, I'd hate to work with an external USB solution especially because USB 2.0 is limited to 480 Mbit/s (on a good day).

Unless its USB 3.0 (which I doubt it is) which has an awesome limit of 5 Gbit/s.

But like I said before, personally for me its because I'd rather have an internal network with the NAS and make it available to any computer on my own network (if required).

@earl A lot of people like off-site storage for security. If somebody breaks into my house and steals my computer, they'll most likely steal my home NAS, server, and external hard drives also. If my house burns down then all my data inside will go with it also.

I like having multiple copies of my backups around the country just as a precaution. I backup all of my important data in at least 4 different locations across 6 different devices.

• @KuJoe said: they'll most likely steal my home NAS, server, and external hard drives

cough I was never planning on raiding your home. Why would I even think of that?

I do like your backup system and the way you do it all.

• ATHKATHK Member

Fact is I already a NAS which is we're everything sits, I was hoping to have something offshore as a backup of everything.

I'm running CrashPlan on my Synology NAS.