Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New ARIN Fee Schedule Jul 1st
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New ARIN Fee Schedule Jul 1st

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited March 2013 in General

https://www.arin.net/fees/pending_fee_schedule.html

Not sure I dig it, they said it would reduce costs, but that's not entirely true. The entry cost is reduced, so for a Small you get charged 1000, then if you have 16 /24's your annual fee is 1600 dollars. I'm guessing the minimum annual fee is the initial fee as well.

Also those of us with /32 IPv6 allocations will be charged more if we dont give up a peice of it and turn it into a /36.

Comments

• @FRCorey said: Also those of us with /32 IPv6 allocations will be charged more if we dont give up a peice of it and turn it into a /36.

That's not very nice. IPv6 space is barely used.

• @TheHackBox said: That's not very nice. IPv6 space is barely used.

I think it is good that they are starting to be a little more strict with v6, otherwise we'll have another shortage soon™.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yeah better conserve those ipv6 so we've got enough to go around after we expand our race to 400 more planets!

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited March 2013

@jarland said: Yeah better conserve those ipv6 so we've got enough to go around after we expand our race to 400 more planets!

It might not come within the next 50, 100, or 500 years, but we'll burn through three hundred and forty undecillion, two hundred and eighty-two decillion, three hundred and sixty-six nonillion, nine hundred and twenty octillion, nine hundred and thirty-eight septillion, four hundred and sixty-three sextillion, four hundred and sixty-three quintillion, three hundred and seventy-four quadrillion, six hundred and seven trillion, four hundred and thirty-one billion, seven hundred and sixty-eight million, two hundred and eleven thousand, four hundred and fifty-six ipv6 addresses at some point in human history (big number, eh?). No one ever thought we would burn through all of ipv4, but look at where we are now...

edited March 2013

@mnpeep Not really. You know they can be reused right? They're not consumable.

Here's some reading: http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPv6AddressSizeandAddressSpace-2.htm

Highlight:

The earth is about 4.5 billion years old. If we had been assigning IPv6 addresses at a rate of 1 billion per second since the earth was formed, we would have by now used up less than one trillionth of the address space.

The earth's surface area is about 510 trillion square meters. If a typical computer has a footprint of about a tenth of a square meter, we would have to stack computers 10 billion high blanketing the entire surface of the earth to use up that same trillionth of the address space.

• texteditortexteditor Member
    edited March 2013

@jarland said: @mnpeep Not really. You know they can be reused right? They're not consumable.

It's a hassle to get them back once you've given them out.

Seriously, Apple, Eli Lilly, Haliburton, Ford, General Electric, Xerox and others are sitting on /8s

@texteditor Yeah but let's test that theory over a billion years. I think after a company has crumbled to ruins like the Roman Empire we might get them back.

• @jarland said: Not really. You know they can be reused right? They're not consumable.

It might not happen in 5 or 10 years, but EVENTUALLY(maybe eons), ipv6 will be exhausted.

• @mnpeep said: It might not happen in 5 or 10 years, but EVENTUALLY(maybe eons), ipv6 will be exhausted.

And ColoCrossing still wont support it :(

• Ouch they basically put in a progressive charge, large corporations that had /8's used to only pay about 40k a year for that ip space.

Their renewals for a /8 will be 256,000 dollars because there's 256 /24's assuming that's the block they speak of in address block.

Otherwise they can just mete out /24's to small companies, and they pay 100 per /24, but I can get /22's and I only pay 100 per /22.

• ChrisKChrisK Member
    edited March 2013

Removed

• Aw screw them, if we want a /36 we have to renumber out of our /32's.

• earlearl Member

@FRCorey said: but I can get /22's and I only pay 100 per /22.

so you pay $100/yr for 1,000 IP's?

• Interesting, RIPE since this year charges 1800 EUR / Year, regardless of the number of addresses you have.
    IMHO the ipv6 charge and ARIN wants is just stupid.

• we'll they can turn our /32's into a /36 without us having to renumber as long as were within the initial /36 of our allocation.

I have a question out to ARIN concerning the allocation fees. One case is I pay 200 for 2 /22's and in another case I pay 800 for 8 /24's depending on how they see this. Though I think it would be sick that a billion dollar corporation gets off just paying 100 for a /8 if that's how they view it.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2013

@FRCorey said: Their renewals for a /8 will be 256,000 dollars

No, Internic space holders got a special deal with ARIN/RIPE (RIPE now charges them the normal 1800EUR but did before not charge more either) - They just pay a base fee, no fee per network.
    (They can't take the space back either or charge more - Internic/Milnic space is NOT OWNED BY ARIN/RIPE, it is OWNED by the enduser which basically forms it's OWN ARIN/RIPE for his subnet).

• The pricing isn't all that bad really.

• I doubt anyone is going to be able to fill a /48 anytime soon. Unless we get another full-blown star wars trilogy traceroute. Considering that, pricing ($500 / year) is acceptable.

• CoreyCorey Member

The pricing isn't bad... it appears they basically doubled the price on people that are holding the largest address spaces to try and get them to return some.