Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuickPacket review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuickPacket review

curtisgcurtisg Banned
edited February 2013 in Reviews

TL;DR
Network - 5/5
Support - 3.5/5
Response Time - 5/5

@qps

Long version:
Network is very good and stable.
Support is a different issue, see below for ongoing issues(server-related/technical support).
Response time is very fast from Technical Support, I submitted a ticket today, 5 minutes later I got a reply.

Now, for the ongoing issues:
Disk speed - since day one, the disk speed has been crappy, been as low as 1.7mb/s (but that was due to bios issue), then the highest I ever got it (2x 1TB HDD RAID1) was 96mb/s
OS Issues - network fails to work on operating system - technical support does not know how to troubleshoot it(I gave it a shot, but its the network card I believe)

However, I'd still recommend them to anyone looking for a fast server set up thats good and a decent affordable price.

I've decided to no longer continue with QuickPacket due to unsolvable issues and have decided to find a new provider due to these ongoing issues.

This has been my review.

Speeds(Note: I got a unmetered 100mbit):
[root@atl speedtest-cli-master]# ./speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from QuickPacket, LLC ()...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Colo@ (Atlanta, GA) [0.43 km]: 19.63 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 90.41 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 52.27 Mbit/s
[root@atl speedtest-cli-master]#
[root@atl speedtest-cli-master]# ./speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from QuickPacket, LLC ()...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Colo@ (Atlanta, GA) [0.43 km]: 19.709 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 62.74 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 50.52 Mbit/s
[root@atl speedtest-cli-master]# ./speedtest-cli --simple --share
Ping: 20.663 ms
Download: 89.59 Mbit/s
Upload: 51.91 Mbit/s
Share results: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2504054668.png

Comments

• @curtisg said: 96mb/s

And why is that a problem? it's not RAID10 or SSD.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited February 2013

Already mentioned.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

We are still waiting for a response from you about the disk issues. We offered to swap out the drives (and gave you several options of alternate drives), but you never responded and it appears that you closed the ticket, so I'm assuming that is resolved.

As for the OS issues, the server was online and accessible with CentOS (which is what you ordered with) prior to your request for an OS reload. VMWare is not a supported OS (it was not listed on the order form for a reason - our techs are not experienced with it). We advised we would install it for you, and we gave you a KVM over IP to resolve the networking issue, which is a OS/config issue, not a hardware issue. I will also note that we have several customers with identical servers running VMWare with no issues. Since you also closed this ticket, all we can do is assume it is now resolved or you're not going to pursue a resolution any further.

• @qps Yeah, I know that, however there appears to be no solution, so I decided to move on to a different provider that has support for esxi.

• @curtisg said: so I decided to move on to a different provider that has support for esxi.

Did you purchase the "Fully Managed" option from QuickPacket?

@MiguelQ said: Did you purchase the "Fully Managed" option from QuickPacket?

No, this is an unmanaged server.

• How much are you paying for this unmanaged server?

I have had no issues with quickpacket so far.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: I have had no issues with quickpacket so far.

I didn't either when I had one of their dedis, this sounds to me like a PEBCAK

edited February 2013

This is the 16 GB Dual Xeon L5420 with 2x 1 TB drives in Atlanta, so it's $69.99 per month plus $30 for the 100 Mbps Unmetered option.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

Then TBH, your getting a steal of a deal. Its not there responsibility to install a thing, once that OS is installed its your problem.

If they got your disk issues cleared up, i don't think you can ask for much more.

• I've been using a QuickPacket VPS for almost a year. Not the best in terms of performance, but definitely one of the most stable.

edited February 2013

@antiven said: I've been using a QuickPacket VPS for almost a year. Not the best in terms of performance, but definitely one of the most stable.

Thanks for your business. We're planning some great things for VPS in the coming months which should take it up a notch in terms of performance (both CPU and disk I/O).

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

@curtisg said: Disk speed - since day one, the disk speed has been crappy, been as low as 1.7mb/s (but that was due to bios issue), then the highest I ever got it (2x 1TB HDD RAID1) was 96mb/s

I'm confused. The slow 1.7 MBytes/sec disk speed was a BIOS issue and fixed, then you got 96 MBytes/sec in RAID-1 and think it was bad? Seems pretty good to me. Were you expecting more? In comparison, I have a similar server elsewhere with a pair of WD Black 2TB drives in mdadm RAID-1 and I get 99.0 MBytes/sec and I'm pretty happy with it. Are you confusing RAID-0 with RAID-1?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Love QuickPacket. Network is the best I've had on a dedi in the price range.

edited February 2013

When we originally gave him the server, it was accidentally in IDE instead of AHCI mode in the BIOS because we updated the BIOS to the latest version and it reset the settings to defaults. Once we switched that to AHCI, his server performed much better. He was looking for higher performance, so we swapped the drives over to a different server, and the I/O speed went up a bit higher.

While the performance was within range of what is expected, we did offer to swap out the drives to try to satisfy the customer.

Thanked by 1javaj
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@Qps i cannot see you doing anything wrong here from what i gather, no offense @curtisg

@jarland said: Love QuickPacket. Network is the best I've had on a dedi in the price range.

Thanks Jarland.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@jarland said: Network is the best I've had on a dedi in the price range.

+1 the network is awesome, especially from the UK on Virgin Media. Great prices too.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

My review of this review

User expectations: 1/5
    User ability to comprehend what is included 1/5
    Ability of users to cause own problems then blame them on the host 5/5
    Quality of overall review style 4/5

It is obvious to anyone reading this that support should also be 5/5 ... now take your lumps!

• @AnthonySmith said: My review of this review

User expectations: 1/5

User ability to comprehend what is included 1/5
    Ability of users to cause own problems then blame them on the host 5/5
    Quality of overall review style 4/5

It is obvious to anyone reading this that support should also be 5/5 ... now take your lumps!

Love it

@Infinity said: +1 the network is awesome, especially from the UK on Virgin Media. Great prices too.

Great to hear. We're actually adding Inteliquent/Tinet (hopefully sometime this week) which should improve things even further.

• curtis if it is the network card how did. u run the benchmarks then?lol bad network card hahaha this funny

• imperioimperio Member
    edited February 2013

@ZinnVPS

He first ordered with centos and the network card was ok so he were able to do that speedtests..

As for the OS issues, the server was online and accessible with CentOS (which is what you ordered with) prior to your request for an OS reload. VMWare is not a supported OS (it was not listed on the order form for a reason - our techs are not experienced with it).

• Ive been using @QPS since I was having issues with my Dacentec disk IO,

I am getting 100MB/s from the disk (2 x 1TB Raid 1) no less than I expect from Raid 1
    Network Speed is good,
    Support ticket response time is good
    Server was setup QUICK (Before I even got my dacentec properly cancelled)

@curtisg If it has a "Faulty NIC" how did you manage to run speedtest-cli, obviously the connection issues are somthing you are doing wrong.

@BenND said: Ive been using @QPS since I was having issues with my Dacentec disk IO,

I am getting 100MB/s from the disk (2 x 1TB Raid 1) no less than I expect from Raid 1

Network Speed is good,
    Support ticket response time is good
    Server was setup QUICK (Before I even got my dacentec properly cancelled)

Thanks for your business - glad we could help.

@Jack said: Just ordered the last Q9550 with 8GB RAM.

Thanks for your business!

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I also received a quote from @qps for dual quad core xeon with 16 gigs of RAM, that I am currently happily using for internal stuff. Rock solid so far, not a second of downtime. The @qps guy here in LET was also extremely friendly and helpfull. We pretty much settled a deal in minutes.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

They're just crazy fast, they need to slow down ;)

@Alex_LiquidHost said: I also received a quote from @qps for dual quad core xeon with 16 gigs of RAM, that I am currently happily using for internal stuff. Rock solid so far, not a second of downtime. The @qps guy here in LET was also extremely friendly and helpfull. We pretty much settled a deal in minutes.

@jarland said: They're just crazy fast, they need to slow down ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Glad we could help.

This discussion has been closed.