Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Evil server ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Evil server ?

edited February 2013 in General

So I've never run into such a problem like this before. I can only call it an evil server. I thought maybe data corruption, but that wouldn't account for the mystery.

I have VPS which I got sometime last month and no matter what I do; I can't configure it. It's like the thing is possessed or something. Installing a working copy of LAMP is something I can do in my sleep and yet nothing works on this server. It's as if it doesn't want to obey ..... Well anything.

For example, I installed Debian Linux on it and used only the apt-get command to install everything. Very basic, nothing configured out of the norm. Yet php files would not run, no matter what configuration I tried. Had 2 administrator look at it and even they couldn't figure it out. Repeated the whole process on another VPS and it worked flawlessly.

Tried Direct Admin. Which is an automatic install that requires no configuration except for user name, password, and domain name. Point and click. Could not get it to run without issue. Last issue I couldn't even change the password. But did everything exactly the same on another VPS without issue.

Installed a pre-configured, pre-imaged copy of cPanel. Can't go wrong. Except it would not function on this VPS, but would on another.

Anyone have any clues?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Need some insight on where it's breaking down. Forgive me if I'm missing it but the most powerful detail I'm getting is "doesn't work." There are just too many potential points of failure. Can you display HTML? Does PHP attempt to download implying that it's not enabled on the VPS?

• @jarland said: Need some insight on where it's breaking down. Forgive me if I'm missing it but the most powerful detail I'm getting is "doesn't work." There are just too many potential points of failure. Can you display HTML? Does PHP attempt to download implying that it's not enabled on the VPS?

The php issue was it would load php files and would give a "Forbidden Error". We checked the permissions on the server, the owner on the server, the user group, the configuration file, ect.... Would not work.

We even made a clone of another working VPS and put it on this VPS and suddenly it was as if the laws of computer physics no longer applied.

I've never seen anything like it.

• DamienSBDamienSB Member
    edited February 2013

For some reason selinux comes to mind. When you try the same config on "another vps" is it on the same physical host node, or separate?

• @DamienSB said: For some reason selinux comes to mind.

I had to Google that. lol

I wouldn't be surprised at this point. I feel like someone else is puling my leg or something. If this was "offline" in the "real world".... I'd think I was in some kind of hidden camera show. lol

It's like everything I or anyone else did was basically useless or a waste of time. We had just installed a fresh copy of CentOS 6 and couldn't even get yum to update. And on another install, Debian Linux wouldn't load Apache, Ubuntu wouldn't make a symlink, and the list goes on and on......

Been feeling like a total noob on this VPS. It's unreal.

• Ah. Maybe you hardwired the gigabix to the ziplink and burned the flux capacitor.

• @DamienSB said: Ah. Maybe you hardwired the gigabix to the ziplink and burned the flux capacitor.

LMAO.

Thanks I needed a good laugh.

• OVZ?

edited February 2013

When you say you took a backup of a working VPS and moved it over there, do you mean a working VPS on the same node? I'm getting the feeling that the culprit could be host node or templates...all of them.

• @jcaleb said: OVZ?

Yes, OpenVz with SolusVM

• @jarland said: When you say you took a backup of a working VPS and moved it over there, do you mean a working VPS on the same node? I'm getting the feeling that the culprit could be host node or templates...all of them.

Both. Same node and we were trying to use their templates. As soon as something hit that VSP, it stop working.

I'd destroy that container and create a new one. I'd like to see the container config files but sharing that typically makes people uncomfortable.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

There could be lots of things but I guess you have already seen most of them, all I can say that you may create one such VPS and then let other see it :)
    May be it just need a fresh approach to troubleshoot .

• You and 2 admins are scrubs.

• Is it self-aware?

@jarland said: I'd destroy that container

• @Saahib said: There could be lots of things but I guess you have already seen most of them, all I can say that you may create one such VPS and then let other see it :)

May be it just need a fresh approach to troubleshoot .

I've setup dozens of VPS's before this one and I just helped 2 friends setup theirs.... No issues. Easy as pie and walk in their park.

But this one VPS we've reinstalled, reconfigured, and have wiped out and started over so many times that I've lost count.

I got a few people here (4) who have sent me a PM saying I must be doing something wrong or maybe I don't know what I'm doing. Funny claims seeing I've just completed 2 perfect setups for friends & have done several before them..... BUT.....

....I did wipe out the VPS and gave access to all 4 people (fresh install of CentOS). One of them has already given up. The other 3 are still cracking at it the last I knew.

• @kro said: You and 2 admins are scrubs

I feel like it on this 1 VPS.

• @Paul said: Is it self-aware?

LMAO

I needed a good laugh. For all I know... Maybe. It doesn't work like normal VPS do. lol

• edited February 2013

@Socially_Uncensored said: One of them has already given up. The other 3 are still cracking at it the last I knew.

Correction. There are 2 people working at it. Seems the other one gave up sometime last night.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: Correction. There are 2 people working at it. Seems the other one gave up sometime last night.

Am I the only one that wants to try it now?

• edited February 2013

@taronyu said: Am I the only one that wants to try it now?

Send me a PM and if they are not successful. I'll forward you the account details.

• **SOLVED **(I think)

Hardware issue .....

Anytime I or anyone else downloaded an update or uploaded something or saved a setting it mildly was getting corrupt. Not enough to tell you so, but enough that ever effort I or anyone else made seemed foolish.

Insisted on being placed on different server.... Installation of LAMP successful without issue.** Finally.**

Importing from backups (website) and if there is no follow up..... Assume I was successful.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: Assume I was successful.

Or that the evil server killed you. ;)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@DamienSB said: Ah. Maybe you hardwired the gigabix to the ziplink and burned the flux capacitor.

Could be mynochs chewing on the power cables.

• I had a lot of people asking me WHERE was this hosted?

Now that we've moved our site, we can publicly answer this without fear.
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/9567/review-new-wave-netconnect/p1

The reason why our VPS seemed "evil' was due to a lot of hardware issues and OpenVPS config issues.

• lol this dude again! ^

• sighs

• twaintwain Member

@Socially_Uncensored said: The other 3 are still cracking at it the last I knew.

LOL you had 3 people "cracking" at it at the same time? That may not always go well...