Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIP server1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIP server1

NickMNickM Member
edited February 2013 in General

My longest serving server, an old Dell desktop with a 430MHz Celeron CPU and 384MB of RAM sitting in my bedroom, has finally succumbed to an accidental flip of a power switch on the power strip, while cleaning this evening. I was just... moving the power strip to clean behind it, and somehow the power switch just... flipped. It's a cheap power strip with a cheap rocker style switch. I think the plastic just wore out, since the switch seems to be very loose. Jostling it a bit to move it must have caused it to rock just far enough to break the connection long enough to shut everything down. Anyways, the "server" still works, it powered on just fine, but gone is it's 556 day uptime. I don't even use the server for anything any more since I have a fleet of VPSes, but I was trying to see how long I could keep it running without rebooting. I had hoped to get to at least 2 years, but alas, it was not meant to be.

RIP server 1

[nick@server:~]$ uptime
 18:16:15 up 556 days,  1:03,  1 user,  load average: 0.16, 0.03, 0.01

Comments

• Is long uptime something people masturbate to? Serious question.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Come on dude

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2013

@gubbyte: If I had the choice between most of your postings here and the uptime of my servers then I would choose the uptime to fap to. Serious answer.

@NickM: I feel with you. Shall it rest in peace.

• Let me get the funeral ready :P

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited February 2013

556 days uptime in a house?

Lucky.....usually there will be a few power outages during that time.

• Some funny following about uptime. Too many of those blue pills. Oh wrong thread :)

556 days was a good run. Had around 480 on a colo server last year. Eventually had to reboot for updates and OS crapola.

That Celeron probably still runs better and faster than many VPS offers...

• @pubcrawler said: That Celeron probably still runs better and faster than many VPS offers...

Nice .... :)

• NoxterNoxter Member
    edited February 2013

Can't believe your power hasn't had any blimps. Was the power strip connected to a UPS? Had to be.

My power goes every other day it seems. Need a UPS for my toaster, ha.

• I patch our corp servers every 30 days so uptime means nothing to us.

• +1 Noxter. Agree OP has a real good power company there.

• @Noxter said: Was the power strip connected to a UPS? Had to be.

Nope, no UPS. The only power blips we've had are a few instances where the lights would dim for like 5 seconds during a summer storm, but those were never enough to knock the server offline.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Where I live, in the year so I've lived in this apartment, we had one outage of about 8 hours, that was the worst. We've had a few blips but nothing bad. Most of them didn't even crash my computer(s).

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@Noxter said: My power goes every other day it seems.

Wow. I can't imagine something like that. My (residental) power go down once every 2 - 3 years when there's some maintenance on power grid or I need to change fuse. Power outages or even small power blips are very rare where I live and most people don't take them into consideration of daily living with exception of those who experience every few years some heavy flood or a lot of snow.
    It's most likely different if you live in small country somewhere in the middle of europe because short distances.

• Old celeron? I had freenas running for years on an old amd k6 ii 380mhz desktop... samba/nfs fileshare worked w/o issue until the hdd failed

• Nothing wrong with these old machines perhaps outside of the power amounts they draw.

Nice to see folks using perfectly operable old machines.

• @NickM said: 430MHz Celeron CPU a

Those must be the old slot 1 cpu's I don't think they make socket 370's at that Mhz

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I had a slot 1 333 celeron which was actually 370 adapted. Meaning the cpu was on a 370 socket on a slot 1 "card" The fan failed very fast but it worked that way without problems for some 6 years or so. Was a printserver at work till I decided to give a hw printserver a try, before I thought they are too slow and too little ram for our plotter, but better wait a minute than draw that power...

• @Maounique said: Meaning the cpu was on a 370 socket on a slot 1 "card"

Yes I remember these, it was a slot one board with a socket 370 on it I think you had to play with the pins to set the frequency..

@earl said: you had to play with the pins to set the frequency..

most cpus at that time were like that. Some had a "forest" of pins and the jumpers were both horizontal and vertical...
    Some people used those to severely underclock cpus to run xp at 8 mhz :)
    http://winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini.htm.en

• damn, i didnt notice you can do all of this with old cpu, last week i trow like 3 to the garbage. because i dont need them =(

• Some of the old Asus slot 1 board are worth quite a bit of money on ebay not sure why..

• @gubbyte said: Is long uptime something people masturbate to? Serious question.

>

Some people worship uptimes like that.

• I think uptime is interesting.

Glad kplice exists for patching new OS updates without reboots.

• Do CPUs ever really die? Like never work again?

I have seen cases of overheating, but never happened to me.
    Poorly seated heatsinks and the bad conductive early models of paste caused the death of cpus starting from pentium 2/amd k6, cyrix 686 till durons and socket a AMD CPUS\s, after that people learned more about heat disspiation standard heatsinks, boxed versions, etc helped aleviate the problem.
    CPUs died mostly because of heat, today this is not much of a problem anymore as the dies no longer generate such horrendeous amounts of heat usually and when they do, they have hardware ways to turn off or throttle past certain temperatures, but I can still see dead CPUs in laptops, albeit, quite older models.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Overclocking , overheating, cheap power supplies

• TommehMTommehM Member
    edited February 2013

@gubbyte said: Is long uptime something people masturbate to? Serious question.

I like masturbating to good uptime..
    In all seriousness, my power never goes out either. ;)
    Although my entire street had a power cut around Dec/11 although my house still had power for what ever reason..

@TommehM said: although my house still had power for what ever reason..

In my building with 6 flats there are 3 power cables.
    It sucks since the fttb converter is on another one which is powered by the stairway lighting system and whichever comes down leaves me without power or internet/tv.
    I had failover with the 3g but it doesnt like the always-on situation so had to drop it after burned 2 usb modems. I have redundancy with adsl but that doesnt have ipv6 and some of my tunnels are over IPv6...
    Power fails more often than internet here, unfortunately :(