Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many VPS?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited January 2013 in General

Providing I've got a Gigabit link, RAID10 with four SATA disks, and no limit to IPs, how many VPSs can I host on this?

Comments

• Mature company owner right there.

• @curtisg said: Mature company owner right there.

Because all of the other LEB hosts are so "mature", right?

• I have one server with 48gb of ram with a dual quad e5560 the 2.4ghz HT Xeon. I keep it capped at 175 VPS's, seems to do fine, but we migrate in VPN users and migrate out the large mem users to other nodes to keep it stable. With 16gb of ram just do the math, 16535/base plan ram to get an idea. With 16GB of ram you wont be able to put enough users on there to seriously degrade the CPU, but you could wire up a good SSD inside the case and enable flashcache which will help on the IO front.

• @NickM said: Because all of the other LEB hosts are so "mature", right?

Just saying he could of edited the post instead of posting again, plus saying "Derp" like really?

• @curtisg said: Mature company owner right there.

hahaha
    hahaha
    you're an idiot

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@FRCorey: thank you, I appreciate your post. I could put about 60 VPS with 256MB each, of course I can oversell RAM so you're saying, that the CPU is good enough for 60 OpenVZ VPS?

• @shovenose said: oversell RAM

oh no... please don't.

edited January 2013

@curtisg: what the fuck is your problem? Overselling RAM by 10% or so isn't going to hurt anybody. I'm not talking about allocating 16TB of RAM on a 16GB server or anything ridiculous. Just 20GB or so.
    Let's face it, most LET/LEB VPS customers either don't do anything close to max. resources. Sure, there are those that run Firefox on VNC and use up all my bandwidth but since I get it unlimited for free anyway I really don't give a crap.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If it were me, I'd put 30 people on it. By LEB standards I under sell a lot.

• I have a problem with you overselling. I thought that was clear?

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

@curtisg said: I have a problem with you overselling.

then get out

@jarland: I like to end the day with profit :)
    But yeah, overselling this server isn't the greatest idea, and I can still probably fit about 50-60 people on it without overselling any resource.
    Thanks for the input guys.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@shovenose said: I like to end the day with profit :)

Well don't sell VPS for pennies then :P

Performance > Profit

Yes I agree that performance is important as is reliability. And If I go broke, the servers will be shut down and go away, so there's no point?
    I carefully balance price and profit to make life possible. Trust me, I can pull this off. Sure I might make the occasional silly LET thread but seriously in May 2013 something AMAZING is going to take place!

• @shovenose - You'll probably be able to put between 50 and 80 customers per node (dependent on plan) with a server like that. If you do KVM probably in the 30 - 40 range.

OpenVZ definitely :)

• @shovenose said: OpenVZ definitely :)

Then you'd best do better than ChicagoVPS!

@gubbyte: I already do! Want a free trial?

• @shovenose said: @gubbyte: I already do! Want a free trial?

Thanks, but no thanks :)

Oh, OK :(

• @shovenose - I can testdrive it if you want ;)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@shovenose said: Providing I've got a Gigabit link, RAID10 with four SATA disks, and no limit to IPs, how many VPSs can I host on this?

Depends what the VPSs are doing...

• Im worried about disk performance more like FRCorey said put an ssd to cache all . Start with 60 VPS with 256MB each plan and move users around other servers depending on their use to equilibrate all.
    But you have to start first and see what users you get maybe can do 100 vps who knows only don't be greedy.

• <

pre>
    @curtisg: what the fuck is your problem? Overselling RAM by 10% or so isn't going to hurt anybody. I'm not talking about allocating 16TB of RAM on a 16GB server or anything ridiculous. Just 20GB or so.
    Let's face it, most LET/LEB VPS customers either don't do anything close to max. resources. Sure, there are those that run Firefox on VNC and use up all my bandwidth but since I get it unlimited for free anyway I really don't give a crap.

<

pre>

This comment right here, is the pure reason why @aldyic left. Childish bullshit.

• ^ That's not exactly true. Aldryic left because he couldn't stop himself getting into childish arguments with those children :)

• @GetKVM_Ash said: ^ That's not exactly true. Aldryic left because he couldn't stop himself getting into childish arguments with those children :)

Won't you agree that on the flip side, there has been more children around since when Aldryic first started, till he left, and now even more than before?

• You can fit around 50 VPS if they're on low usage.

• Dual L5420s, running 4 x 1TB w/ HW RAID, 24GB RAM. We're running around 120 to a server. Can be a combination of 256MB VPSs, all the way upto a 2GB VPS.

When I do work on servers, I often just check IO wait and the amount of Idle CPU.

• @shovenose said: isn't going to hurt anybody

Yes, it'll hurt people. You wait, you'll oversell then someone will come in, use the ram almost 24/7, make all of your oversold customers mad. You wait, it'll happen.