Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Safety Deposit Boxes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Safety Deposit Boxes

eastoncheastonch Member
edited January 2013 in General

Hey guys.

Just wondering, I've heard some of you say that you own 'bank deposit boxes', upon thinking, I've been thinking about looking into one; y'know, to keep a 'very safe backup' of something critical that I can't afford being touched by anybody but myself and a tiny metal, fireproof box.

Though; once I've looked into it; it appears there's no longer these sorts of services in the UK, atleast, not unless somebody wishes to travel two and a half miles, or to London.

Does anybody here have a SDB? Do they use it? What for? How much do you pay?

Thanks.

Comments

• I know @william had one and used the contents of it to buy a new computer after he was raided.

• @Taylor he was my source actually; he also mentioned he had a second passport in another country.

In the US, It's illegal to store money (tax?) please correct if I'm wrong. However, in the Uk, I'm unaware of any laws, I was really, just wanting something, where I knew, that if i slapped something inside, that NOBODY could touch it.

I think if I can't get this; the only other option is a fireproof safe ^^

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

@eastonch, buy a box and dig a hole in your garden. What's so important that you need to keep it in a deposit box? And unless you're paying top dollar I doubt any facility is going to be overly secure.

/Win

• @eastonch banks should allow you to have safety deposit boxes, if they don't then.... do what @Jacob said

• @eastonch said: atleast, not unless somebody wishes to travel two and a half miles, or to London.

You aren't willing to travel two and a half miles? wtf. I live in town and the nearest bank is OVER 2 1/2 miles away.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

travel two and a half miles

Is that really considered far there? It's 10 miles from home to work for me, previously 30. No wonder people over there lecture us about our oil consumption, everything must be 15 feet from your front door :P

• @jarland said: Is that really considered far there? It's 10 miles from home to work for me, previously 30. No wonder people over there lecture us about our oil consumption, everything must be 15 feet from your front door :P

Not true for most of us. I'm sure he meant hours

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hours makes more sense, was about to say, you'd have to be cuddling with strangers if everything was that packed together ;)

• My wife has a couple primarily for jewelry.

They aren't super expensive, a few hundred+/yr.

• @jarland said: Hours makes more sense, was about to say, you'd have to be cuddling with strangers if everything was that packed together ;)

Yea that was crazy.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited January 2013

They are pretty much in every bank back here in the US.

I keep a Yubikey with my lastpass master (like 100 something chars long) - passports, birth cert, some critical stuff on a small drive.

Generally like 30 bucks a quarter or something.

• Yeah, wait till you go to the bank (in the US) and they tell you -- Sorry you can't access the safety deposit box because of x legal action / etc. I'm with @jacob, box + hole in the garden / flower bed.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm disappointed this thread was not titled LowEndVault.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@raindog308 said: I'm disappointed this thread was not titled LowEndVault.

inb4: I registered the domain

• ^^ done

• @Jacob said: @eastonch, buy a box and dig a hole in your garden.

That's just security through obscurity, unless your garden has an electrified fence and security guards :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@sleddog said: That's just security through obscurity, unless your garden has an electrified fence and security guards :)

Make sure it has no metal in it or the metal detectors will pick it up, also dont access it once you dug the hole or it may be seen with various means because of ground different disturbance.
    I would only bury something important in a distant wood, certainly not in my backyard. Make sure it is deep and under some tree roots small enough not to dislocate the ground if the tree would fall.
    Should not be metal but also rodent proof, some kind of plastic.

• It would be interesting to know what the archelogists that find your box after 2000 years would think about it :)

• True, If your house is on a hill. Then you have a big problem as the ground will move overtime...

@rds100 said: It would be interesting to know what the archelogists that find your box after 2000 years would think about it :)

• Just image in which case you would need to access the box.
    And when this time has come, do you think this box is safe in your own garden? :D

• A bank?

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I have one. I don't know what the number is though. It's embedded in a small chip in my hip and the number is shown via a projector type lamp inside the chip.

It's in a bank in Zürich and contains my 9 other passports, about 500,000 USD in cash in 6 different currencies, and a Glock 9mm.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Oliver said: It's in a bank in Zürich and contains my 9 other passports, about 500,000 USD in cash in 6 different currencies, and a Glock 9mm.

Bourne, Oliver Bourne I suppose :D

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Problem is, to the left in London less and less banks are allowing people to deposit crap.. Lloyds TSB don't do it at all now afaik.

• DeanDean Member
    edited January 2013

In some of their branches Natwest do as far as I know.

• If im going to deposit it something, the last place its going is the bank.

• ZiggaZigga Member
    edited January 2013

@Oliver said: 9 other passports

Jeepers! Disappointed that you don't have safe houses/cars stashed in there though.

• That's strange - safety deposit boxes are usually inside banks. How are people allowed to walk in a bank with a gun?