Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crashplan slow as hell?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crashplan slow as hell?

FreekFreek Member
edited January 2013 in General

I'm trying to backup about 2TB of data to Crashplan. My upload speed is about 50Mbit but yet it doesn't go over 3Mbit.
What's up with that? I removed all throttling settings but still it's slow as hell. This is going to take ages (1.4 Years to be exact)
I remember several people using Crashplan. Do you guys have this issue as well?

Thanks

Comments

• What normal, sane person has 2TB of personal data? Really?

• @gubbyte said: What normal, sane person has 2TB of personal data? Really?

What normal, sane person browses LET? Really? ;)
    I know, it's a lot of data, mostly TV Shows. I am backupping them since I've put hours and hours into organizing them, correct formatting and subtitles etc.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@gubbyte
    I think of myself as a sane person and I have more then 2 tb of data that I would like to keep safe. Its not 2tb of data that is crucial to me but would take alot of time to recreate/find if lost.

I don't use crashplan myself but what kind of data is it? Large files or many smaller ones?
    Is this kind of behaviour new, have you been able to use full speed before?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Might be all the new users they pulled in with the super cheap promo all doing a backup as a new years resolution. Give it 24 hours, if it still doesn't improve contact crashplan. Im doing, I found crashplan to be slow, although not that slow.

Now trialling cloudcopy

• @MikHo said: I don't use crashplan myself but what kind of data is it? Large files or many smaller ones?

Is this kind of behaviour new, have you been able to use full speed before?

Mainly large files, about 500MB each
    I just installed Crashplan but was dissapointed to see it's so slow.
    I also trailed Carbonite (Very buggy, old software) and BackBlaze (Sleek Software but no ETA or Techy Data available) but they had the same behaviour.
    Could it be due to the fact I'm located in NL and their DC's are in the USA?

@ShardHost said: Might be all the new users they pulled in with the super cheap promo all doing a backup as a new years resolution

Haha good thinking ;)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Could be, I see very different speeds to the US depending on location.
    Are you encrypting the backups aswell? I've seen this with other backup software when the encryption is slower then the internet speeds

• I'm in the UK and was suffering from slow speeds. I set up a proxy on a LEB located in the US, and set the crashplan client to use the proxy. I got a fairly good boost in speed (although still not super fast). This lead me to believe that the problem was the cheap transit they were using - Cogent if I remember correctly.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Freek
    I managed to upload about 2.5 TB at 4-5 Mbit (on a 50 Mbit Internet plan too), but
    1) the speed was falling rapidly towards the end of that;
    2) the CPU load was rising to the point it was utilizing 100% CPU all the time;
    3) at around 2TB the client started simply crashing, and the solution to that was to raise Java memory limit in its config;
    And here's the real kicker: at some point the upload speed suddenly plummeted to around 0.6...1 Mbit (and stayed there from then on for a long period, I suppose forever); it looks like they have throttled me, and that's how their "unlimited storage" actually works. So I'm keeping the data that's already there, but not adding anything more; and will not be paying them any money after my free "carbonite switcher" year runs out.

I have now found a much better deal for remote backups, specifically the OVH Kimsufi special, $13/mo for 2TB and you get a whole dedicated server to yourself (can not only use it for backup, but cancel a bunch of VPSes and move various other things there). http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6670/ovh-canada-ks4g-yearly-deal-119.00
    Also can use any upload or backup tools you like, not having to deal with a monstrous proprietary Java client running all the time on your machine.

• @Robert said: I'm in the UK and was suffering from slow speeds. I set up a proxy on a LEB located in the US, and set the crashplan client to use the proxy. I got a fairly good boost in speed (although still not super fast). This lead me to believe that the problem was the cheap transit they were using - Cogent if I remember correctly.

Thanks for this plausible explanation :) I'll see if I can set up something similar! Thanks again!

@rm_ said: And here's the real kicker: at some point the upload speed simply plummeted to around 0.6...1 Mbit; I suppose maybe they have throttled me, and that's how their "unlimited storage" actually works.

Yeah and that's why I'm not a big fan of 'Unlimited services'. Nothing is unlimited. I would rather have an hard limit.

@rm_ said: Also can use any upload or backup tools you like, not having to deal with a monstrous proprietary Java client running all the time on your machine.

True...I was thinking of buying one of those Kimsufi deals as well but I have 2 problems with it
    1. It only has 1 HDD so no RAID... Does backupping even make sense then?
    2. What client would you recommend as an alternative to use with this setup?

edited January 2013

@Freek said: 1. It only has 1 HDD so no RAID... Does backupping even make sense then?

Sure why not. The point of having a remote backup is to prevent data loss in case your local storage fails (or you delete files, etc). What are the chances of your local storage failing, AND your dedicated server disk failing at the same time (or within a short period). I'd say very low.

1. What client would you recommend as an alternative to use with this setup?

I use rsync to an EncFS folder, which is itself on Btrfs (for snapshotting). :)
    Some prefer easier solutions like duplicity or obnam. There's also rdiff-backup, which is rsync-based, but with integrated snapshotting.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

cloud backup != storing your files on some unmanaged, fragile HDD from ovh

edited January 2013

@gubbyte said: cloud backup != storing your files on some unmanaged, fragile HDD from ovh

That is correct, "cloud" backup is either less flexible and has very inconvenient limitations (the Java client), downright dishonest advertising ("unmetered" with throttling) with Crashplan and its likes, or simply massively more expensive, if you mean some Amazon S3 where you pay an arm and a leg for storage, then more for even listing your files and directories, then some more for transferring out.

Also last time I checked OVH didn't produce HDDs, "fragile" or not.

• @Freek said: I know, it's a lot of data, mostly TV Shows.

Do you own this media or are you pirating TV shows

• Crashplan is extremely slow. We signed up for their paid Business service, and were unable to upload our nodes over 5 mbit/sec or so, no matter what we did. Most of our nodes have 700+ gb of data, so it was going to take weeks to upload everything.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

My CrashPlan GUI says 60Mbps but their website says 1.7Mbps. That being said, it has saved my ass a few times when I need to find old code or an old database entry.

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2013

@bamn said: Do you own this media or are you pirating TV shows

Well well well. So I made a post in your thread, now you feel the urge to do the same in one of my threads. How mature. Who's calling who a man-child now? You need to back off a notch mate, maybe even seek some mental help. You take things way too seriously. Anyway, what has this got to do with the issue I'm having? Also, don't jump on the bandwagon and posting things before you get them verified on your blog/'fan club'.

@rm_ said: I use rsync to an EncFS folder, which is itself on Btrfs (for snapshotting). :)

Some prefer easier solutions like duplicity or obnam. There's also rdiff-backup, which is rsync-based, but with integrated snapshotting.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

@Damian said: Crashplan is extremely slow. We signed up for their paid Business service, and were unable to upload our nodes over 5 mbit/sec or so, no matter what we did. Most of our nodes have 700+ gb of data, so it was going to take weeks to upload everything.

Meh, it says 1.4 Years now for 2TB. Oh boy :(
    Thanks for letting know though!

• @Freek said:

Meh, it says 1.4 Years now for 2TB. Oh boy :(

Thanks for letting know though!

Try opening a support ticket with the Crashplan folks. We did, and they told us it was a bug that was going to be fixed "in a future release", which we waited 3 months for before dropping them. Maybe they've fixed it by now?

edited January 2013

@Freek said: I'm trying to backup about 2TB of data to Crashplan. My upload speed is about 50Mbit but yet it doesn't go over 3Mbit.

@Freek said: Meh, it says 1.4 Years now for 2TB.

I don't think it's the correct estimate. My 2.5 TB got transfered in maybe a couple of months.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2TB+at+3+megabit+per+second+in+days

= 61.73 days

• ReeRee Member

It's expensive, but you can get the first 1TB stored fairly quickly using their seed service.

• Look for backup software that make use of Amazon Glacier

• @joshuatly said: Look for backup software that make use of Amazon Glacier

Glacier is horrible.

• @rm_ said: My 2.5 TB got transfered in maybe a couple of months.

After posting, the speed plummeted down to just 350Kbit/s... this is going to take a long time.

I just mailed support. Let's wait and see. I got a bad feeling about this.

• @gubbyte said: Glacier is horrible.

It's pretty cheap

• @joshuatly said: Look for backup software that make use of Amazon Glacier

@ShardHost said: It's pretty cheap

This, though I'm not sure there are any clients for Linux yet...

@gubbyte said: Glacier is horrible.

No.

@Freek said: I just mailed support. Let's wait and see.

Let us know what they say!

While I am still happy with the Pro service, I have the + service at home that is perfect and what the service is designed for IMO.

• Crashplan is generally quite slow in my experience, but it varies quite a bit. Sometimes I get 3.5mbit/s sometimes it is only 300 kbits/s.
    I've also used Backblaze and found it generally faster and more consistent.
    But with the deals on crashplan I have stuck with that.
    If you really need to backup that 2TB, I would look else where.

CrashPlan was the only Linux friendly service I could find to run on a small OpenVZ VPS without a GUI.

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2013

@Damian said: Let us know what they say!

Hello Freek,

Thanks for contacting CrashPlan Support.

We are aware of recent issues that some of our CrashPlan+ users are seeing with lowered upload performance. While we are looking into the scope of this issue, and pursuing all available avenues to improve performance for affected users, we are unable to provide more details at this time. Support is receiving updates, and will inform you as soon as we know more and can provide further information.

Regards

@jrider said: I would look else where.

Any other services you would re command? Preferably EU based?

• Glad I didn't try crashplan....

@KuJoe said: CrashPlan was the only Linux friendly service I could find to run on a small OpenVZ VPS without a GUI.

dropbox does (get 20GB by hiring some guy on fiverr to refer the max for you)

• @Corey said: get 20GB by hiring some guy on fiverr to refer the max for you

There is seriously someone selling this 'service'? Really? How much does it cost?
    I know how you can do this by yourself for free. Just takes an hour or so of your time though.