Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

News from Prometeus (IperWeb Ltd.)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

News from Prometeus (IperWeb Ltd.)

janjan Member
edited December 2012 in Providers

Just received an e-mail from @prometeus saying:

(...) Our plans for the next year are ambitious and we plan to deploy a big cloud IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) in the first quarter of 2013. (...) To prepare for a more international presence, in the last October we incorporated IperWeb LTD in England with the company no. 8243758.

Sounds interesting! The e-mail also announces availability of two new storage plans ("KVM vps with a large disk space on our Coraid SRX SAN (RAID 5)"): 200GB (256MB RAM) and 400GB (512MB RAM).

Comments

• I could see this thread coming very soon.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

http://www.companiesmadesimple.com/company-services-registered-office.html - they used that as far as I can see - seems quite cheap for what they offer tbh.

Sounds like it'll be awesome anyway, not sure why they need a UK registered company status though.

• @Infinity said: not sure why they need a UK registered company status though.

Curious, too. I e-mailed @prometeus to ask about this before posting here. The prices for new IperWeb services were announced in GBP, we'll see if it's possible to be billed in EUR (prometeus.net are currently in euros).

• Only weird thing is the bigger plan has 5TB transfer, so you'd be better off buying 2xsmaller plan (except if you have really really large files...)

• @averell said: you'd be better off buying 2xsmaller plan (except if you have really really large files...)

...or (if you don't need 512MB of RAM and all that transfer) you can upgrade the 200GB/256MB machine's disk space to 400GB and your price per GB will go down about 20%

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

Yes, the plans are really flexible to take into consideration most possible usages.
    There will be even lower prices per GB as the Xen IPv6 only plans will also have a discount at the end of the year.
    So we will have all kinds of storages, from free 10 GB FTP only to ultra configurable SAN KVMs passing through IPv6 only Xen ones.
    If this is not complete storage offer, I dont know what will be :)

• tsantentsanten Member
    edited December 2012

@Maounique
    Im interested about cloud IaaS offer can you offer some details ?

• The other part of the email is the 10 GB free FTP offer for existing customers! Yay!

• @Maounique said: Yes, the plans are really flexible to take into consideration most possible usages.

Francisco mentioned at LowEndBox that some people use their storage boxes "even as cheap SSHFS space for their other BuyVM’s". Would this work here as well? What would the latency be? This would probably eat the BW pretty quickly though (assuming that LAN transfers are counted as standard bandwidth usage)... :-)

• Getting incorporated in the UK sounds like a smart move. It gives them some tax benefits, plus they get can get a google checkout merchant account too.

• They also can get a .eu .. if anyone uses them

Why not Ireland, isnt that where everyone registers?

• @HC_Ro they could get .eu now too (Italy). But google checkout only works with merchants from USA and UK. Besides the UK has some nice high threshold for VAT registrations.

• @rds100 said: @HC_Ro they could get .eu now too (Italy). But google checkout only works with merchants from USA and UK. Besides the UK has some nice high threshold for VAT registrations.

Lithuania, Luxembourg or NL would be better choices. It's quite easy to hit UK VAT registration limits.

edited December 2012

@rds100 said: Besides the UK has some nice high threshold for VAT registrations.

Looks like you studied the problem :)
    We also needed to move this business away from the Italian one for big corporate customers as it was set before (accountants started to complain about the number of bills and stuff).
    The VPS for the masses business sprung from some unused resources from that business but soon grew as a business in it's own right and has own demands now.
    UK seemed like a good choice and we considered a few, even Romania.

Im interested about cloud IaaS offer can you offer some details ?

For now we are only evaluating a few variables. Will be either CloudStack with Xen or Open Stack with KVM as it looks like it now, with OpenSwitch and what will be offered will probably be something along the lines of Virtual Office maintained by us or IaaS directly self managed.
    This is why Hostbill, also, in theory will be more suitable for that.
    It will not be at LEB prices tho as it will include multiple VPSes for corporate needs, internal networks, complex routing as we got requests lately and was not so easy to offer with the current infrastructure.
    Storage will be Hitachi state of the art SAN with maybe the Coraid SAN as a secondary cheaper storage layer.
    Uncle has a lot of experience with big companies and uses various other systems such as rhev and vmware, but a really open and fully scalable cloud for smaller businesses and more flexible IaaS offers could be needed.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2012

• @jan said: (...) Our plans for the next year are ambitious and we plan to deploy a big cloud IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) in the first quarter of 2013.

This will be interesting. Congratulations Iperweb! :-)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Thanks guys. I hope to be able to give more details about the IaaS in the next weeks.
    It was planned to be ready now, but my personal problems forced a reschedule.
    However all the hardware is sitting in the datacenter so it's only a matter of (free) time :D

• @prometeus said: Thanks guys. I hope to be able to give more details about the IaaS in the next weeks.

It was planned to be ready now, but my personal problems forced a reschedule.
    However all the hardware is sitting in the datacenter so it's only a matter of (free) time :D

It all sounds very interesting. How is the storage managed?

• @prometeus said: However all the hardware is sitting in the datacenter so it's only a matter of (free) time :D

So... you're saying we can throw money at you?

@ShardHost said: It all sounds very interesting. How is the storage managed?

@Maounique said: Storage will be Hitachi state of the art SAN with maybe the Coraid SAN as a secondary cheaper storage layer.

We are testing now the coraid with the storage KVM plans we just released.

• @Maounique @prometeus: You know what you guys should do?

Have a pre-sale.

• +1

• @zsero said: The other part of the email is the 10 GB free FTP offer for existing customers! Yay!

This is a nice and useful Christmas present: a big thanks to Uncle Sal.
    I already got mine and the speed to/from Prometeus VPS is very good:

ftp> put test
    local: test remote: test
    200 PORT command successful
    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for test
    226 Transfer complete
    1073741824 bytes sent in 96.76 secs (10836.7 kB/s)

Waiting for the new offers...

edited December 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: Have a pre-sale.

At most could have a pre-alpha in a couple of weeks :D
    The hardware is in place, but Uncle needs to go there, rack/wire it, then install something test internally, open a pre-alpha for some friends, then an alpha for more friends, then a public beta for our customers if everything works well and we dont have to switch something fundamental...
    It is not that easy to setup a cloud and if we go the Open Stack way it is gonna be even harder.

@pcan said: I already got mine and the speed to/from Prometeus VPS is very good:

The port is 100 mbps tho. But the storage per 100 mbps port is 2 TB so wont be much of a problem, I hope.

@jan said: Francisco mentioned at LowEndBox that some people use their storage boxes "even as cheap SSHFS space for their other BuyVM’s". Would this work here as well? What would the latency be? This would probably eat the BW pretty quickly though (assuming that LAN transfers are counted as standard bandwidth usage)... :-)

Well, will work as ftpfs maybe, but, indeed the bw is counted both ways.
    latency will be very low since they are in the same dc and maybe even same rack.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@HalfEatenPie said: So... you're saying we can throw money at you?

Yep! Please insert your coin to play
    :P

• @Infinity "not sure why they need a UK registered company status though."

Italy's corporate tax rate at 31.4% is the 3rd highest in Europe (only France and Belgium are higher). The UK has a small business tax rate of 20% for companies with less than £300,000 annual profits (the rate for larger companies is 24% but it's being reduced to 23% in 2013 and 22% in 2014)

• Congratulations for the 15th years in business :)

I'm just wondering, the company I worked is Asian based, and having server in Singapore, just if they want to move their system to Italy, maybe they will have better performance.

We always having problem in closing in the end of the month, sometime I peek at the machine they use, it's just 1GB RAM :( and serving south east asia

edited December 2012

For 1 gb ram a vps will have better performance than a dedi at a lower price.
    It depends what performance is needed. If network, that is debatable, we do have good link to asia, but not that good to compare to Singapore. Latency will certainly be at least 3 times higher if not 10.
    If you mean total BW, lower price and better hardware, that can be done easily :)

• Where are these new storage plans ("KVM vps with a large disk space on our Coraid SRX SAN (RAID 5)"): 200GB (256MB RAM) and 400GB (512MB RAM) located? Are there in Itali or new UK datacenter?

All our servers are and will remain in Italy for the time being.
    The company has been incorporated in UK for other reasons than vps location.
    While there is no current plan to expand in other locations as we will be busy enough in Italy, that is not completely out of the question for later on.