Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ninite?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ninite?

eastoncheastonch Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hey all,

Just been looking into creating my own minimalistic version of Windows 7, stripping out all the junk and just having the essentials, install the rest later.

http://lifehacker.com/5894838/customize-your-windows-installation-to-create-the-os-of-your-dreams

I also found a nifty site:

http://ninite.com 

Where all you do is select apps you want, and it'll automatically, without any GUI, just install everything. All background downloads of the latest version of the app, silent installs if you wish.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has used this app before? And if so, why?

Comments

• I have used Ninite every time I have installed a new PC. It does sometimes install old versions of software but the programs usually auto update when you launch them anyway. I have never used it on Linux though so I can't comment on that.

• I used it yesterday - Saves a hell of a lot of time.

Check a few boxes, click run, grab a coffee. By the time I'm back it's usually done installing a dozen apps.

• I was amazed by it, I was looking at /Silent /Install switches for some of the apps I want to install on my new build, then Ninite was mentioned a few times and I was quite happy with the results. It's got a large range of software, nothing else you'd need really, including WINSCP, FileZilla, PuTTy, NP++, MSE, Chrome etc...

• I use it every time I reinstall Windows or setup a new Linux PC. It saves a ton of time since I can setup Ninite to install the programs I need while Windows does things like update itself after the initial installation. I only wish that they had a version for other platforms as well like Mac OS X, Android, and Windows Phone.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Might also be worth having a look at https://explodie.org/aranjepack.html (project of a friend of mine) if you need a downloadable offline alternative to Ninite :)

• This is awesome, I'm making a Windows without crap like Internet Explorer as we speak!

• Windows will be severely broken without IE, it's pretty much a necessary evil.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2012
  • @Wintereise said: Windows will be severely broken without IE, it's pretty much a necessary evil.

Unfortunaley, you are wrong.

Windows 7/8 N comes without IE and without media components such as Windows Media Player and so on and it works very well.

You can remove IE in normal Windows 7/8, too.

• I would honestly rather just install everything manually, especially in Linux. I <3 command line installs. :)

• @joepie91 said: Might also be worth having a look at https://explodie.org/aranjepack.html (project of a friend of mine) if you need a downloadable offline alternative to Ninite :)

That is actually very awesome.

Thank you for that.

• Hm, things changed then. :x

I tried removing it once in Vista and that didn't end well. Though, this was in its beta stage.

• @Jeffrey said: especially in Linux. I <3 command line installs. :)

This isn't linux. Its about windows now.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@eastonch said: Just been looking into creating my own minimalistic version of Windows 7, stripping out all the junk and just having the essentials, install the rest later.

So like Tiny7?

• One of my previous shops used Ninite professional with their active directory, worked just fine. They however removed ccleaner :( What is nice about it is that they do not install all those toolbars and shit. And, if you rerun the installer after a month or so, it will update all the apps...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Raymii said: with their active directory

Does work pretty well with that. Although I then learned that Panda AV and MS Security Essentials don't play well together, after effectively blocking everyone from internet access. Fun times.

• @joepie Thank you very much.

• Ninite is a real lifesaver. Saved me tons of time.
    Best of all is that it doesn't install any toolbars and such