Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

better VPS for my needs - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

better VPS for my needs

2»

Comments

• Dedicated CPU @ $25. Yeah, that sounds a bit problematic @Taz. But, sure there probably is something out there or at least a situation where CPU priority is high enough and CPU resource contention wars are rare to non existent.

VPS servers seem to be two varieties in my experience: 1. Oversold and total contention for disk IO and CPU or, 2. Undersold or underutilized where all resources work alarmingly fast and well.

Situation #2 is ideal, until the company see idleness and excess capacity as oversell opportunity.

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: Oversold and total contention for disk IO and CPU

Let us put things in real life perspective. A nice e3-1230 box with around 32 GB ram, after a decent colocation and 1.5 years ROI, will cost around 200$/mo. Add ip and management and additional costs, you are looking at around 250$/node and not to mention, you are in this business for profit. You have 4 physical + 4 hyperthreat = 8 cores. Unless you want to pay a minimum 40$+/vps, you will not get dedicated core nor can expect one. Average Sata has 100 iops, with 4 hd (we are doing minimal costs not 8-12 drive arrays) in raid 10, you have 200 iops, you need calculate what you want and what you need and how much you are willing to pay.

As a provider, we care about our clients and clients should also care about their provider. If you want to pay 7$ for a vps that you know is not possible (I.e 2GB on, e3 nodes), you know it is being oversold and yet you signup and will complain later on. If you are realistic and want dedicated resources such as CPU, you will need to raise your bar above LEB/budget range or get a budget dedicated server, which at the end will cost you same for the same quality vps.

• Just flip coinds dude. But for me, either buyvm or ramnode, because its a little cheaper than rocket.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Situation #2 is ideal, until the company see idleness and excess capacity as oversell opportunity.

Most of our nodes are at 30% or below CPU usage, at times even below 10%. Even the SAS2 raid ones.
    This simply means the wait states are few, short and far between, from my experience an oversold node will use most CPU in io wait.
    A node is built from storage up, putting up SATA even in big arrays is probably going to put strain on CPU due to the low IOPS and high wait states, that will occupy any cpu, from atom to latest E5, a core will wait the same amount of time for the data because cannot get it faster, no matter how good the CPU.

• I got lot of suggestions/commercials, thanks to all guys. Now I am located in Italy but likely my business will be in center america, so I have to cover both america and europe. I am not necessary with one of those three providers I mentioned but it is very hard to pick up one of the plenty of offers available. I am at the very start of my business so one server is what I need now, I may want to get another one in the future.

I will investigate further on your suggestions, thanks.

• IOWait time is the main culprit for lousy VPS performance. That's why folks like Ramnode, BuyVM and Prometeus are leveraging SSD as much as feasible.

IOWait = horrible experience and inevitable failure.

@Maonique hit the issue squarely.

Yep, colo, servers, software, overhead, etc. all cost cashola @NHRoel.

I've seen plenty of stories by @Jarland and others about their loaded nodes sitting mainly idle. So either some providers attract the riff-raff (Tor exits, IRC servers, torrents) or they are over-over selling. Legitimate business use tends to be, well sparse.

As far as budget, we are seeing 3GB plans starting in the LEB range now. Earlier than I thought they would. With large RAM servers (128GB and up) this is feasible.

LEB is $7/mo, @ledzigo was over 3x more than that $25. Might not buy a dedicated CPU, but it can but a dedicated server with own dedicated CPU(s) and own dedicated IO....

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Tor exits, IRC servers

1. A Tor be it exit or not will use the same amount of resources. And that is the alloted traffic mainly. Will not use much CPU/disk. I run 2 at home on a via c7 and when not doing anything else the load is at 0.02 at most including top.
    2. IRC servers also dont use much CPU/disk. However, they are DDoS magnets.
      We dont allow Tor nor IRC on Biz plans but this is mainly to avoid DDoS and keep the 1 gbps port always ready for big bursts.

@pubcrawler said: As far as budget, we are seeing 3GB plans starting in the LEB range now. Earlier than I thought they would. With large RAM servers (128GB and up) this is feasible.

Yes, RAM is cheap and it does not make a big impact on node performance, actually, the more ram a vps has, the more caching will do and less IO.

@pubcrawler said: LEB is $7/mo, @ledzigo was over 3x more than that $25. Might not buy a dedicated CPU, but it can but a dedicated server with own dedicated CPU(s) and own dedicated IO....

Yep, a kimsufi qualifies.