Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CVM VPS panel, screenshots, info, and request for suggestions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CVM VPS panel, screenshots, info, and request for suggestions

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited November 2012 in General

As some of you may know I've been working on an open-source and free VPS panel named CVM for a while, and the project has had some delays due to some personal circumstances. However, it's finally starting to get somewhere! As such, I decided to make a thread, include some screenshots and info, and ask for some suggestions.

The screenshots and other info can be found at http://cvm.cryto.net/, which is a temporary site set up for this.

Future KVM and Xen support is already planned, the initial release will only support OpenVZ. Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions for things to do with CVM?

Comments

• YEY

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The hype is the "cloud". Clustering and HA, but it can grow up later.
    I am struggling with stuff to put up an ultra cheap storage scheme which does not allow for any payed solution (i.e. solus or WHMCS modules).
    So, of course will need to have an API and VNC to view consoles or some other thing.

• Completely awesome! Looking forward to migrating to it when it's ready.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Zen said: Any chance you will open-source while developing rather than doing it once you've got a basic working product done? I'de like to follow progress.

A link to the source is on the referenced site :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Major suggestion: Give me a price at which you'd provide some basic support for it ;)

Others: Take VM, shut down, compress, push to templates. Simple feature, huge time saver. Also backups of containers to directory or perhaps SFTP.

• Suggestions: Create template from vps, snapshot backups, iso backups generator, sql backup, clone vps

• api and whmcs plugin.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Nice to see this coming back to life, do you still need to server?

• CVM - Sponsored by BlueVM :)

@jarland - We're still working on a method to provide paid support... suggestions, as always are welcome.

@24khost - I know there's already a framework for an API and WHMCS support is definitely planned.

• The other suggestions above by me are the major ones I want to see.

• please make the username in WHMCS the username in CVM, let the user change the pass, but at least then people will stop bruting the master with their WHMCS credentials.

@miTgiB said: please make the username in WHMCS the username in CVM, let the user change the pass, but at least then people will stop bruting the master with their WHMCS credentials.

TTTHHHHHHIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• @miTgiB said: please make the username in WHMCS the username in CVM, let the user change the pass, but at least then people will stop bruting the master with their WHMCS credentials.

x500000infinity

(><)

x100000000000000000000000000000 infinity

• IMO, the success of the panel depends 50% on features and 50% on the integration it will have with the billing systems.
    So +1 that the API is highly needed.
    Also if it's going to support KVM+OVZ+XEN this will make it a great alternative of the existing solutions.
    I would like to congratulate you too for this.

@jarland said: Major suggestion: Give me a price at which you'd provide some basic support for it ;)

I will provide basic support on an as-possible basis myself (for free), and @BlueVM-Johnston, as he already said, is working on some form of commercial support :)

@jarland said: Others: Take VM, shut down, compress, push to templates. Simple feature, huge time saver. Also backups of containers to directory or perhaps SFTP.

So basically automated template creation from an existing container?

@jarland said: Also backups of containers to directory or perhaps SFTP.

Backup functionality will be included, I'm not yet entirely sure about the exact way I'm going to implement it. Needs some more thought.

@24khost said: iso backups generator

Can you elaborate on what you mean with that?

@24khost said: sql backup

You mean a backup of the database of the panel itself?

@24khost said: clone vps

Will definitely be having a look at that possibility.

@24khost said: whmcs plugin

This is also planned, but may not be part of the initial release yet.

@miTgiB said: please make the username in WHMCS the username in CVM

The API for CVM will just have an option to create a new user with a specified username (so you could just throw in the WHMCS username there if you want to) - for the WHMCS plugin I'm not entirely sure what to do yet. I can imagine some hosts would want to specify another kind of username, perhaps based on the real name.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited November 2012

Well I guess for KVM and Xen they are based on iso's correct? I am an openvz guy.
    So basically some type of backup you can move or reinstall from.

Never mind on the mysql thing.

• Basically some way to dump an ISO to a .gz file, probably with DD or snapshot if possible.

I gather there will be an OpenVZ importer @joepie91?

Otherwise, its looking sweet :)

• be able to set rdns.

@24khost said: Well I guess for KVM and Xen they are based on iso's correct? I am an openvz guy.

Well, yes (although I believe both can do some form of templates). However, these ISOs aren't just images - they are normal installation disks that you'd run the same way as you would, had they been in a local machine sitting right next to you. In other words, there's not really one standard way to 'export' a VPS to an ISO.

@24khost said: So basically some type of backup you can move or reinstall from.

I'd imagine there's some way to backup containers - I'd have to look into this in detail later on, though.

@GetKVM_Ash said: I gather there will be an OpenVZ importer @joepie91?

Both HyperVM/SolusVM scripts will be available, and there will be an option to just add an existing OpenVZ container to a user in some way (for setups where you never had a panel before).

• Security with attention to detail: PDO, SSH-based master/slave communication with full logging, slow password hashing, existing and proven algorithms, separated administrator and user APIs, openly visible code allowing for review, ...

Reliable and good code practices: Clean consistent code, clear naming conventions, framework-based, high amount of code reuse leading to less implementation differences throughout the codebase, ...
    Well-documented: Full API documentation, documentation of concepts, underlying technology, and aspects of the supported virtualization technologies.

I love you. Can't wait to start tinkering around with it and design some themes.

• I'm keeping my eye on this panel :P

• @24khost

Xen PV is not based on ISO's but on simple compressed barebone systems.

@GetKVM_Ash

OpenVZ containers can be backed up from the vzctl tool which just gunzip tars your private container files.
    OpenVZ containers is just a config file and a directory representing the "hard disk"

ISO's are INSTALLERS they are meant to be executed from a removable storage so the setup wizard can write the actual OS to the disk.
    You are looking for templates, not ISOs, OpenVZ has tons of free templates.

• Yes but this panel does xen and kvm I was thinking of things

• @24khost

It doesn't do neither of them, he is only planning on doing it.
    In fact I am working on a Xen control panel as we speak (SaaS)

• Dear Lord, thank you for HostBill, Proxmox and SolusVM.

This panel looks like Windows 8, Bill Gates and Linux had a 3-way...

• @marcm

Care to explain?

• I would love it if it had a lock feature. That way you can lock a VPS so you can accidentally reinstall the wrong OS on it.

• @marcm said: This panel looks like Windows 8, Bill Gates and Linux had a 3-way...

And that's why it being open source is great - You can modify it however you like, including it's appearance.

Great to see how it's coming along @joepie91, I remember you showing this a while back :)

• As I promised a while ago to the developers, I am willing to make a design for it when its close to release.