Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup Full VPS for Quick Restoration, please suggest me a way
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup Full VPS for Quick Restoration, please suggest me a way

sktanmoysktanmoy Member
edited September 2012 in Help

I've a very busy website which is hosted in a Xen Box with 2GB/60GB. Daily visit is about 10 thousands. As it's a e-commerce based website, I need a reliable backup system. I need your suggestion to backup full vps with OS so that I can sync to restore if any accident is occurred.
If rsync is good for it, please help me to learn how to do that.
Accept my apologize for bad English and silly question.
Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Backing up / restoring whole 60GB is not going to be quick, no matter what backup method you choose.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Your best bet is to replicate the data to a 2nd VPS and use it as a backup. If your primary VPS dies then you just change the DNS to point to the 2nd VPS. This is not full proof but is the fastest way to recover from a failure.

• @rds100 said: Backing up / restoring whole 60GB is not going to be quick, no matter what backup method you choose.

I've a box with 60GB but data is about 5GB with OS, according to the value from SolusVM :)

• SolusVM calculates disk usage after a reboot, so I would start by running df -h to get an accurate figure.

Does SolusVM let you specify an FTP backup server to backup the entire VPS in one go?

• What KuJoe said, set up MySQL replication to the second vps and set a cron job to rsync your web files daily maybe? I think you can use a web monitoring service like Uptime Robot with a DNS provider to switch over the DNS records to the second server if the first one dies.

• sktanmoysktanmoy Member
    edited September 2012

[root@tanvm ~]# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/xvda1 60G 2.0G 55G 4% / [root@tanvm ~]#

No, in SolusVM, there isn't any option for backing up data.

• Used 9.9G and Avail 55G seems strange on a 60G file system.

• @AsadHaider said: What KuJoe said, set up MySQL replication to the second vps and set a cron job to rsync your web files daily maybe? I think you can use a web monitoring service like Uptime Robot with a DNS provider to switch over the DNS records to the second server if the first one dies.

Good idea, but as DA is installed in my VPS, it's a bit costly for use 2nd VPS, because I've to purchase another license for the box ;)

Anyway, can you please help me to sync database and files, II mean commands. I'm pretty novice here :(

• @rds100 said: Used 9.9G and Avail 55G seems strange on a 60G file system.

http://ScrnSht.com/ozvxaj
    Something went wrong while I copy pasted. :)

• @sktanmoy ok, this makes much more sense. With just 2GB used backups should not take too much time.

• @rds100 said: this makes much more sense. With just 2GB used backups should not take too much time.

So which way should I use? Currently I keep backup database using a PHP script via email, and files manually.

• I'm using this simple script to automatically backup my /etc/, /vhosts/, and all mysql databases to FTP server. It's pretty stright forward easy to understand and implemented;
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-backup-mysql-databases-web-server-files-to-a-ftp-server-automatically.html

• If downtime has significant economic damage, maybe you could switch to a more costly vmware virtualization with vcenter access. You could manually hot-clone the virtual machine. The hot-clone backup could be scheduled with a specific VmWare additional license or third party backup software such as Veeam. The @KuJoe solution is another good idea that could be cheaper, if you are happy to mantain two servers.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@pcan
    Veeam has releases their free VeeamZIP which is good enough for most people (no scheduling). If the provider has vmware, I bet they have something else then the free vsphere license. (which wouldn't work with Veeam).

I'm working with those products on a daily basis.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2012

I think having 2 VPSes is the best solution especially if the space is not big, can get a cheap SSD one. You have load balancing AND redundancy and the price should not be higher than using a HA solution or an expensive one just to have snapshots.
    It might be complicated to setup load balancing but replication and fail-over is certainly not a problem.
    M

• @sktanmoy said: I need a reliable backup system. I need your suggestion to backup full vps with OS so that I can sync to restore if any accident is occurred.

I installed Proxmox inside a KVM with Hostigation, then mounted some space on the NAS as /backup and had the OpenVZ dumps each night backup direct to there. I could then either restore the whole container, or do a vz migrate of the whole container.

Thanked by 1djvdorp