Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Why Linode Sucks" - A Personal Rant - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Why Linode Sucks" - A Personal Rant

Comments

• FYI I've lost all my data due to hardware & power failure at Fremont twice, that hurricane electric DC is cursed.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • And another case with Bitcoin?

• @serverbear don't they sell backup plans?

• @jarland The way they treat customers when it comes to DoS attacks, no business should come near them, period.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@vpsnodebox I think my point still stands, the flower shop in Hallsville, TX would never know what that meant or care, nor should they. Not saying I'd suggest it, but I don't think I'd warn them.

• @jarland I am for the small provider, I don't care about someone like Linode... They do zero for the community. I understand that they are a business, but I will not defend them. They never bend backwards for anyone, so they shouldn't be defended. When a company goes out of its way to serve the customer, that's when they should be defended.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

Meh, learn to say something nice ;)

Everything doesn't have to be I hate this, I hate that. More than a few people here could use the ability to "look on the bright side." Everything is crap to somebody. That includes my services and yours.

• @jarland I have something nice to say: I have found other small providers like me here that I've purchased services from so that I could set up DNS servers in multiple locations. They are really good, friendly fast to respond. After what @Chief had to say about Linode, I couldn't care less for them. LET and LEB are nice, I love the community here and I hope to be around for many many years to come.

Thanked by 1jar
  • serverbearserverbear Member
    edited September 2012

@vpsnodebox said: @serverbear don't they sell backup plans?

Yep, I keep my own backups though so I was able to get back online. Just a pain doing the restore yourself.

My 2c on Linode:

Pros:

• Slick control panel
    • Bandwidth pooling
    • Global locations
    • Fremont has decent latency to AU (& AU providers are 2-3x more expensive)
    • Cloning
    • Stackscripts
    • Internal IP Addresses
    • Performance is consistent across DC's & locations
    • Fairly active community forums

Cons:

• Expensive
    • HDD space doesn't increase in comparison to cost well enough
    • Pricing remains stagnant, they don't generally need to run incentives to get customers
    • Seems like they are spending more time on expansion than infrastructure
    • Hardware is dated (but consistent), not sure if this is a cost saving thing or not.
    • 24 Null Route on DDOS (not sure how I feel about this, but it seems like a strategy that gives them staff/resource breathing space).

I'm sure there's more stuff that I haven't thought about, but if performance & hardware mattered to everyone (like it matters to us) there's no way they would be in the INC 500 (mind you if they did anything SSD related I'm sure fanboys would jizz themselves).

• @serverbear You nailed it on the head.

I have like 20 SSD drives home, 4 2600K, 2 3770K CPUs, and I am seriously thinking of putting them in a Charlotte, NC data center instead of selling them as gaming machines. The hardware is not enterprise level, but it's all ASUS motherboards, Corsair PSUs, Crucia and OCZ Vertex 4 SSDs. I also have WD RE4 drives. It would make for some nice Xen nodes.

• @vpsnodebox said: Resizing a server on @rackspace servers. 10 mins and still waiting for resource to resize. Resizing on @linode = INSTANT.

This is bullsh*t. Resizing a Linode is nothing like instant. They have a node-per-plan policy, so resizing is moving.

I used to be a Linode fan myself. Until I found this site. It's amazing that I can get double what I get from Linode for the same money (thanks to @BuyVM and @miTgiB) with an even better, more personal service. Linodes-pricing is premium but their service is lagging behind lately.

@vpsnodebox said: Their provider is SoftLayer Technologies, and SoftLayer is always upgrading. All of this "we have 40,000+ customers and we are getting more every day..." smells to me like a bunch of bullshit.

They don't use SoftLayer. They just have racks and own servers. They only use SoftLayer in Dallas because they got there when it was still ThePlanet. Source: linode.com/wiki/index.php/Network

@miTgiB said: Seeing how Linode is again handling a similar situation with PointHQ can only be it is there policy to do nothing and that has to only come from above.

I believe PointHQ are/were having ns1-4 on Linode, which isn't the smartest thing to do. I'm building my DNS cluster and I have ns1 with BuyVM, ns2 with you and soon ns3 with Prometeus. This way I am not dependent on one provider (though I honestly don't expect any trouble with any of them).

@serverbear said: My 2c on Linode

Completely agree with you.

I can partially understand why Linode sticks with the 2009 hardware: it gives every single Linode a similar performance (Amazon AWS has some sort of fake-CPU index for this). However, try upgrading all those nodes at the same time. It's gonna be a huge operations. A rolling upgrade model (like many here use), where you just add new, upgraded nodes every time you need to add a node, seems much better. You'll gradually replace old nodes without too much hassle.

Don't get me wrong, I've been happy with Linode since 2008. They're just not what they were back then anymore :)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100 said: < offtopic > @Alex_LiquidHost it's 4:22 am, go to sleep :) < / offtopic >

Sleeping deprivation..since a long time ago. But as far as I can see, you were not sleeping either :P

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited September 2012

@mpkossen If you need to say something positive about linode please do it here:

lowendtalk.com/discussion/4718/why-linode-doesn039t-suck-a-non-personal-non-rant

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited September 2012

A lot of this has to do with Linode's scale at 60k+ customers. They have cages at each DC having 5-15k linode VPS' (rough guess). If one linode is seeing a DDos they can't let it hinder neighbors and their network.

• @bdtech said: A lot of this has to do with Linode's scale at 60k+ customers. They have cages at each DC having 5-15k linode VPS' (rough guess). If one linode is seeing a DDos they can't let it hinder neighbors and their network.

At Linodes scale then, they should easily be able to tell you more information.

• @MRLabradoodle I don't see why Linode can't just setup anti-DDOS filtering similar to how BuyVM have theirs? If they're so superior, why not make it bomb proof?

• @eastonch said: @MRLabradoodle I don't see why Linode can't just setup anti-DDOS filtering similar to how BuyVM have theirs? If they're so superior, why not make it bomb proof?

They don't have the magic of ponies behind them!

• They dont even have their own ASN!

• In that case, I highly doubt they have a cage at each location. :-)

@Spencer said: They dont even have their own ASN!

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

The hardware thing is interesting... Rackspace is using Opterons from 2008 or something. Even if you want a new container deployed (at least in the UK location) they will all get put on these now ancient systems.

• @Jacob said: In that case, I highly doubt they have a cage at each location. :-)

You dont need a cage. They have plenty of IP for one
    http://bgp.he.net/search?search[search]=linode&commit=Search

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited September 2012

@Oliver Zerigo is also using antiquated hardware, Opterons from 2008. What's interesting is that in over two years or so they haven't updated their Xen templates, still being stuck at CentOS 5 and Debian 6, Ubuntu 10.04 and that's about all they offer. (talking about Zerigo, another clusterf*ck).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Hardware age != company quality.

• @KuJoe said: Hardware age != company quality.

Exacto!

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Any company that own the hardware plan to use if for two or three years (and more I hope).

New hardware will be added over time so usually you have services running on a mix of old and new servers. Quality of services can't be judged looking how old or new are servers :P

• Id rather my provider didn't upgrade every quarter. Uptime ftw

• @prometeus said: New hardware will be added over time so usually you have services running on a mix of old and new servers. Quality of services can't be judged looking how old or new are servers :P

But when its so slow because they load so many people onto one, you start to notice.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

@MrLabradoodle said: But when its so slow because they load so many people onto one, you start to notice.

This is another matter. Even new hardware can be overloaded to a point nothing work, it's a responsibility / decision of the provider how much to load each server and when it's time to retire it.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2012

@prometeus said: This is another matter. Even new hardware can be overloaded to a point nothing work, it's a responsibility / decision of the provider how much to load each server and when it's time to retire it.

I think even Linodes new nodes however are still using older hardware. The ones I have been on, you can always tell they are overloaded. Slow Disk IO (30MB/s), hard to pull even 10Mbit through the port, long IO/CPU wait.

The solution they give you is to "move you to another server", which usually are just equally overloaded.

Even my BurstNET XenVPS is faster.

Although this thread was the last chance I gave to Linode, so I am moving everything over to @prometeus

• I liked the bit about Rackspace (a.k.a. Ratspace) and I remembered talking to someone that used to work there, and their cloud is more like a bunch of clusters... So he's not waiting on resource resizing, he's waiting on being moved to another node. Everything else described in those comments can be accomplished with WHMCS and SolusVM at any provider here.

Well for the most part cloud setups are a cluster. And yes in the case of upgrading a instance to have more memory, you are subject to the physical node your vps is currently on.

Cloud is a little bit of a misnomer. The problem is there is no way for the instance to reside in the middle of cyberspace yet.

So if the node your on doesn't have enough free resources then you have to move to a node that does. With our cloud we have load balanced mirrored servers so for example 7+7 servers in each cluster or cloud so a total of 14 servers but we only utilize 7 servers as the other server is a load balanced mirror. But are system is setup so that if all resoursces are in use we can float you to another cloud but only takes like 20 seconds so this seems wierd.