Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB Tor hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB Tor hosting

giannouggiannoug Member
edited September 2012 in General

Does any LEB host allow Tor? I know BuyVM does but they require +$96 for a /29 subnet from SWIP. The VPS itself cost much less.

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2012

Depends. I think most LEB hosts don't like exit nodes, but I've seen a few that are fine with relay nodes. Best way is usually just to send a sales ticket and ask, and make clear that you don't intend to run an exit node.

• Not too many people are gonna let you run a tor exit, it's a ton of abuse complaints waiting to happen for not much money, the manhours spent dealing with those complaints, valid or not, will be worth much more then $7. Relay shouldn't be much of an issue for most providers. Even most dedicated server providers won't allow tor exits.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, some allow, about half relay (non-exit) and one of them is Prometeus at very low prices and huge quality bandwidth.
    They dont allow on business plans, only regular.
    I use hosts for relays and home for exits.
    M

• I think Edis.at allows relays but i can't find the list of what's allowed and what isn't on their new website.

• Yea relay is fine, exit is not.

• wait what is tor exit?

• internet
    |
    entry
    |
    middle
    |
    exit
    |
    internet

As you can guess exit gets lots of Abuse.

Thanked by 2winston klikli

Tor works this way:
    You connect to a router using encrypted or not traffic in the sense that it is http or https not that the traffic remains unecrypted when it leaves your computer, it is already encrypted when hits the first node. That is the entry node (it can be any type of it, whether allows exit or not, but, usually, is a non-exit node as the network saves bandwidth on the exit ones only for exit), it encrypts it again and sends to the middle node, which encrypts it again and sends it to the exit node, the exit node decrypts the Tor network encryption (if it was encrypted from your browser remains like that, if it was not encrypted, it is left unecrypted too) and sends it to the destination.
    Each of the nodes alone cannot decrypt the traffic. The entry node does not know what you send, it knows only the next hop, the next hop does not know what the traffic is, it only knows the IP of the entry node and the exit one. The exit one has no idea where the traffic came from, just where it has to arrive and if it is https traffic, nobody along the chain can tell what it is, some will know the original IP, some will know the destination, but none will have all the information necessary to track down the original IP.
    It will resist compromizing of any node along the way, for example, if the entry node is seized and traffic analyzed, will only see some ppl connect tot he Tor network, not their traffic, nor the destination of it. You need at least 2 nodes to mount such an attack.
    But the network is vulnerable to other, much more complex attacks that need a lot of nodes.
    M

• Yes I know Tor exits are a huge pain to run. I'm interested in running only a relay though, sorry for not mentioning before.

Any more recommendations for a LEB provider? I'm interested in those $15/year packages.

Thanks for all the answers!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@giannoug said: Any more recommendations for a LEB provider? I'm interested in those $15/year packages.

Only EXIT nodes require a SWIP, middle nodes don't :)

Just log a ticket to Aldryic so he's fully aware. While he wrote some scripts to monitor our subnets, we always ask clients to be as proactive as possible when it comes to TOR/DDOS ACL's/etc.

Francisco

Thanked by 1giannoug
    edited September 2012

@giannoug said: Any more recommendations for a LEB provider? I'm interested in those $15/year packages.

The best network I know is from @prometeus. He has a 10 Eur a year plan, VZ0, or a 15 Eur a year plan, VZ1. They include 256/512 GB traffic and if you want can buy 2 TB at 5 Eur.
    No additional work is necessary, he will know if you run an exit node :P
    M

Thanked by 1giannoug
  • @Francisco said: Only EXIT nodes require a SWIP, middle nodes don't :)

Out of interest, do you SWIP to customer (aka WHMCS) data or can we pick the data to be used?
    (As some, like me, have Limited companies to be used for Tor exits to avoid to be personally liable)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@William said: Out of interest, do you SWIP to customer (aka WHMCS) data or can we pick the data to be used?

(As some, like me, have Limited companies to be used for Tor exits to avoid to be personally liable)

As far as I know the few people that have picked up a SWIP have let Aldryic know what details to use. So long as the details can be verified (online directory, a scan, etc) then he's pretty willing to work things out.

The SWIP is just to take the abuse complaints mostly off us.

Francisco