Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mv -f /* ../ :/
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mv -f /* ../ :/

tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
edited August 2012 in General

what did i do ? cant access any file they are disappeared

Comments

• mv -f ../* /

should fix it

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • -bash: /bin/mv: No such file or directory

:( all two days work gone ?

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited August 2012

i think i move root to its upper directory :/ is it possible?

cd double tab gives this

root@(none):/# cd dev/ proc/ sys/ usr/

• what do you get for ls -l /

• try ../bin/mv

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited August 2012

you were moving all files and directories in root ( / ) to your upper current location ( ../ )

i remember i did that once.. :D if you can mount an ISO file better try it from rescue mode.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

What did you do?!

Tried this for the heck of it.. didn't work.

[root@loki ~]# mv -f /* ../ mv: '/aquota.group' and '../aquota.group' are the same file mv: '/aquota.user' and '../aquota.user' are the same file mv: '/bin' and '../bin' are the same file mv: '/boot' and '../boot' are the same file mv: '/dev' and '../dev' are the same file mv: '/etc' and '../etc' are the same file mv: '/home' and '../home' are the same file mv: '/lib' and '../lib' are the same file mv: '/media' and '../media' are the same file mv: '/mnt' and '../mnt' are the same file mv: '/opt' and '../opt' are the same file mv: '/proc' and '../proc' are the same file mv: '/root' and '../root' are the same file mv: '/sbin' and '../sbin' are the same file mv: '/selinux' and '../selinux' are the same file mv: '/srv' and '../srv' are the same file mv: '/sys' and '../sys' are the same file mv: '/tmp' and '../tmp' are the same file mv: '/usr' and '../usr' are the same file mv: '/var' and '../var' are the same file [root@loki ~]#

• @Damian said: what do you get for ls -l /

root@(none):/# ls -l / -bash: /bin/ls: No such file or directory
    i dont have a bin drectory anymore.. :(

@dmmcintyre3 said: try ../bin/mv

root@(none):/# ../bin/mv -f ../* / -bash: ../bin/mv: No such file or directory

Thanked by 2Asad klikli
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Your only solution is rm -rf /*

• i was tryşng to move the directorys content that i am in, to uper directory.

i should use a single dot?

sometimes learning is painfull

• @tridinebandim said: root@(none):/# ../bin/mv -f ../* /

You need to be in the directory from which you executed the original mv -f /* ../ :/ for that to work.

edited August 2012

rm remove ?

i removed all i can already

this is what i did ...

root@(none):/usr/share/nginx/www/wp-content/themes/turbotheme/hmtpro5# mv -f /* ../ mv: cannot move/dev' to ../dev': Device or resource busy mv: cannot move/proc' to ../proc': Device or resource busy mv: cannot move/sys' to ../sys': Device or resource busy mv: cannot move/usr' to a subdirectory of itself, ../usr'

• I guess you are fucked, if this is a KVM server just boot with a rescue image and fix it, if it's openVZ you'll have to ask the provider.

edited August 2012

no kvm

lesson learnt; dont use root if you dont know what you are doing

i see that /usr/share/nginx/www already there and nginx seems working

i ll try to download them,

thanks guys for your help..

• TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

@AsadHaider said: [root@loki ~]#

Avenger fan :P

• root@(none):/usr/bin# reboot -bash: reboot: command not found

:/

• @tridinebandim its surprising bash still works.

You need to completely re-install. Boot a recovery CD and get any personal data off, and re-install.

• TazTaz Member

@tridinebandim said: root@(none):/usr/bin# reboot

-bash: reboot: command not found

Boot your device into recovery mode. Recover data and reinstall. You are going to have fun today :)

• reinstalled...

thanks @Taz_NinjaHawk but i am not that confident about linux for now. maybe in future when i ruin my vps, i may try :)

• TazTaz Member

@tridinebandim said: but i am not that confident about linux for now. maybe in future when i ruin my vps, i may try :)

Still better then windows. You have a option to recover :P With win, once it is gone, ADIOS! Best of luck though buddy :)

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited August 2012

cd /usr/share/nginx/www/wp-content/themes/turbotheme/ mv -f ./* /

?

Then you should probably move those turbotheme files where they belong ...

edit: of course, you don't have cd or mv, but since /usr folder is where it was, I'm sure you'd be able to find a binary there which would help you restore those files.

Btw, you can always recover! http://www.lug.wsu.edu/node/414

• @tridinebandim said: thanks @Taz_NinjaHawk but i am not that confident about linux for now. maybe in future when i ruin my vps, i may try :)

Next time, never ever do anything as root. its disabled for a reason in most desktop distro's.

Thanked by 2tridinebandim Taz
  • @MrLabradoodle said: @tridinebandim its surprising bash still works.

It's in the memory. Once you log out and log in it's gone.

(Proven by a apt-get purge -y glibc6)

• krokro Member

Its a good common lesson . double chk when using forceful taggies!