Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free NAT KVMs! -- Twelve Locations! -- US, EU, GB, JP -- FreeVPS.org - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free NAT KVMs! -- Twelve Locations! -- US, EU, GB, JP -- FreeVPS.org

Comments

• Thank you guys, I'm waiting!

• Oh, too bad I don't have 50 posts

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Good morning!

A teensy drama on the Chicago server! One of the VPSes decided to misbehave by running at 102% CPU. Definitely zero blame on the user, since the logs show that he tried hard to fix the issue.

The Proxmox GUI's shutdown command failed. The web GUI's stop command also failed. Root had to use the command line to kill the VPS because root couldn't think of any other, more gentle options.

Right now, the server reports CPU usage at 2.48% of 24 CPUs and Load Averages at 0.37, 0.43, 0.71. Here's Brendan Gregg's great post on Linux Load Averages

Some of you guys might enjoy seeing the actual command that Proxmox used to start this VPS. Also the ps and kill and grep commands:

root@chi1:~# ps aux | grep 3260864 | grep -v grep root 3260864 102 0.6 1167164 432448 ? Sl Dec17 8849:15 /usr/bin/kvm -id 170 -name gtxr,debug-threads=on -no-shutdown -chardev socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/170.qmp,server=on,wait=off -mon chardev=qmp,mode=control -chardev socket,id=qmp-event,path=/var/run/qmeventd.sock,reconnect=5 -mon chardev=qmp-event,mode=control -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/170.pid -daemonize -smbios type=1,uuid=749f272e-6b4d-4dfd-981f-b99e652d45ef -smp 1,sockets=1,cores=1,maxcpus=1 -nodefaults -boot menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/170.vnc,password=on -cpu host,+kvm_pv_eoi,+kvm_pv_unhalt -m 512 -device pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e -device pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f -device vmgenid,guid=97d0764d-00a4-4435-a799-63255d7bf4d3 -device piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2 -device usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1 -device VGA,id=vga,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2 -chardev socket,path=/var/run/qemu-server/170.qga,server=on,wait=off,id=qga0 -device virtio-serial,id=qga0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8 -device virtserialport,chardev=qga0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -iscsi initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:b2bfeb15f230 -drive file=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/AlmaLinux-8.6-x86_64-minimal.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=io_uring -device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=101 -device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsihw0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5 -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/170/vm-170-disk-0.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,discard=on,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=io_uring,detect-zeroes=unmap -device scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0,rotation_rate=1,bootindex=100 -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap170i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on -device virtio-net-pci,mac=7E:89:84:EF:98:55,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=102 -machine type=pc+pve0 root 3260957 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S Dec17 0:00 [vhost-3260864] root 3260959 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S Dec17 0:00 [kvm-pit/3260864] root@chi1:~# kill 3260864 root@chi1:~# ps aux | grep 3260864 | grep -v grep root@chi1:~# date -u Fri 23 Dec 2022 05:09:38 PM UTC root@chi1:~#

This VPS is gonna get reinstalled. . . .

Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone!

@TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly @GTHost

Thanked by 1unfortunately

Hello!

I am delighted to report that FreeVPS.org just now was offered its third server, this one in northern mid-US!

When the new server is provisioned and ready, we're going to have a FreeVPS party! 🥳🍾

Best for the holidays!

Tom

Ooohh! Just got the specs for the additional FreeVPS.org server:

Thanks @crunchbits!

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2683 v4 - 128GB RAM - (2) 480GB SSD - (4) 2TB SSD - 1Gbps
    Operating System: AlmaLinux 9
    First Payment Amount: $0.00 USD
    Billing Cycle: Free Account

@TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly

ThanksGTHost

ThanksTheOnlyDK

ThanksDP

ThanksNot_Oles

ThanksFatGrizzly

Thanksyoursunny

ThanksPieHasBeenEaten

ThanksCloudie

Thanksrandom.org

ThanksLET

ThanksVirtfusion

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Thank you @crunchbits

Thanked by 2Not_Oles crunchbits
  • ThanksGTHost it would be nice to have this for some testing... but since I don't have 50+ posts, I guess my princess is in another castle (Super Mario reference)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Happy Holidays everyone!

Quick update from me (@Not_Oles might be sending another update soon, with more details).

Basically, FG is doing a good job at integration Blesta and Virtfusion together to set up our new nodes. We now have three servers, 1 in Chicago with GTHost (running Proxmox), 1 in Dallas donated by @PieHasBeenEaten, 1 in Coeur d Alene with Crunchbits. The two new servers will be running virtfusion starting day one on launch. We might convert the Chicago server to VF too if it goes well!

ThanksGTHost

ThanksPieHasBeenEaten

ThanksCrunchbits

We'll then decide a website template, add some information on there. Write "don't be a dick" on the tos page, then we'd be ready to go with all things automated!

Stay tuned everyone! Happy new year!

Thanked by 2Not_Oles FatGrizzly

@chitree said:

ThanksGTHost it would be nice to have this for some testing... but since I don't have 50+ posts, I guess my princess is in another castle (Super Mario reference)

Hi @chitree!

I looked at your profile, and, while you do not yet have 50 posts, you're certainly doing fine! Why not stick around and talk with us a bit instead of heading off to the other castle? Wanna tell us about your experience with OpenBSD and NetBSD? How much bandwidth do you need for your free VPS? Your post count will be up to 50 really soon! :)

Best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by 1chitree

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Happy Holidays everyone!

Quick update from me (@Not_Oles might be sending another update soon, with more details).

Basically, FG is doing a good job at integration Blesta and Virtfusion together to set up our new nodes. We now have three servers, 1 in Chicago with GTHost (running Proxmox), 1 in Dallas donated by @PieHasBeenEaten, 1 in Coeur d Alene with Crunchbits. The two new servers will be running virtfusion starting day one on launch. We might convert the Chicago server to VF too if it goes well!

ThanksGTHost

ThanksPieHasBeenEaten

ThanksCrunchbits

We'll then decide a website template, add some information on there. Write "don't be a dick" on the tos page, then we'd be ready to go with all things automated!

Stay tuned everyone! Happy new year!

Hi Guys!

@TheOnlyDK did a great job on the update! Thanks @TheOnlyDK!

@Cloudie has kinda taken us under his wing, adding FreeVPS.org to Route48.org's Discord. Also, the FreeVPS.org admin group has a little private chat session on Discord. @FatGrizzly has been doing a lot of work getting things set up! @TheOnlyDK has continued helping. @crunchbits is really generous and great to work with.

I keep saying, "Soon, soon, . . . soon." Well I don't know how long it will take until FreeVPS.org gives out its next bunch of free VPSes, but we really are working on it. And it keeps seeming more likely that it might happen.

Here's wishing everyone a Happy New Year and a great 2023!

Tom

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Well I’m glad to see things are moving in a good direction. If you’ll need anything please let me know. I’m more than happy to help out.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles FatGrizzly
    edited December 2022

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    Well I’m glad to see things are moving in a good direction. If you’ll need anything please let me know. I’m more than happy to help out.

Wanna join the FreeVPS team? :) Looking for a new Project Leader and also a Communications Manager / Public Relations Director. :)

Thanks for your kind words! Thanks again for your wonderful server donation!

• @Not_Oles said:

@chitree said:

ThanksGTHost it would be nice to have this for some testing... but since I don't have 50+ posts, I guess my princess is in another castle (Super Mario reference)

Hi @chitree!

I looked at your profile, and, while you do not yet have 50 posts, you're certainly doing fine! Why not stick around and talk with us a bit instead of heading off to the other castle? Wanna tell us about your experience with OpenBSD and NetBSD? How much bandwidth do you need for your free VPS? Your post count will be up to 50 really soon! :)

Best wishes!

Tom

Hi @Not_Oles,

I haven't sys admined a BSD system for 20 years now & wanted to get back into experimenting with BSD. I'm a Linux sys admin and use multiple different distros. I enjoy tinkering and learning. I honestly don't know how much bandwidth I will need as I plan on exploring NAT frontend to host servers & services which I have here. I'm almost to that magic number of 50 :smile:

• @Not_Oles said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said:

Wanna join the FreeVPS team? :) Looking for a new Project Leader and also a Communications Manager / Public Relations Director. :)

Can I be involved in any way? I really want to learn more about ipv6 and networking. Like for the last few days I've been trying in vain to make ipv6 work on my lxd containers in a kvm environment. Maybe I can learn while trying to contribute? I've a several decades old programming background mainly now related to ecommerce APIs , so I like to tinker. I wud be glad if I can contribute in anyway.

@raza19 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said:

Can I be involved in any way? I really want to learn more about ipv6 and networking. Like for the last few days I've been trying in vain to make ipv6 work on my lxd containers in a kvm environment. Maybe I can learn while trying to contribute? I've a several decades old programming background mainly now related to ecommerce APIs , so I like to tinker. I wud be glad if I can contribute in anyway.

Hi @raza19!

Thanks for your post and for your desire to contribute! You'd be welcome to join the team! I have two questions, to which you can please reply here or else send me a PM if privacy is needed:

• Do you have a resume, website, or other internet presence where we can learn more about you and your experience?

• Are you interested in the Project Leader Position, or the Communications Manager / Public Relations Director position? Or maybe both?

For help on IPv6 with LXD inside KVM, one good option might be to start a new thread with lots of details about exactly what you have been doing, specific commands, and error and log messages.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you! :)

Thanks again! Happy New Year!

Tom

Thanked by 1raza19
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Not_Oles said:
    @Cloudie has kinda taken us under his wing, adding FreeVPS.org to Route48.org's Discord.

AS924 free BGP session coming?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@yoursunny said: AS924 free BGP session coming?

Hi! Sorry! I thought you two were discussing this directly. I haven't any news. How can I help? Happy New Year! Tom

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2022

@Not_Oles said:

Hi! Sorry! I thought you two were discussing this directly. I haven't any news. How can I help? Happy New Year! Tom

I mean, BGP session for FreeVPS.org users.
    FreeVPS.org can get an ASN, and let every user become the downstream.

@yoursunny said:

@Not_Oles said:

I mean, BGP session for FreeVPS.org users.
    FreeVPS.org can get an ASN, and let every user become the downstream.

Oh! Sure! That's a great idea! I will ask Cloudie. Thanks!

• @Not_Oles said:

@raza19 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said:

Hi @raza19!

Thanks for your post and for your desire to contribute! You'd be welcome to join the team! I have two questions, to which you can please reply here or else send me a PM if privacy is needed:

• Do you have a resume, website, or other internet presence where we can learn more about you and your experience?

• Are you interested in the Project Leader Position, or the Communications Manager / Public Relations Director position? Or maybe both?

For help on IPv6 with LXD inside KVM, one good option might be to start a new thread with lots of details about exactly what you have been doing, specific commands, and error and log messages.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you! :)

Thanks again! Happy New Year!

Tom

Thank u for the opportunity, I'll be sending u a pm soon.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

I wanted to give a little update here,

As of now, We've gotten a node to nat V4(fully works and tested with Blesta) and we are the in process of adding dedicated ipv6 in. If this succeeds we'll launch on two nodes excluding the proxmox node, in which we are planning to convert it into a VF HV if all goes smooth.

Thanks everyone.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles Ympker

@FatGrizzly said:
    I wanted to give a little update here,

As of now, We've gotten a node to nat V4(fully works and tested with Blesta) and we are the in process of adding dedicated ipv6 in. If this succeeds we'll launch on two nodes excluding the proxmox node, in which we are planning to convert it into a VF HV if all goes smooth.

Thanks everyone.

Hi FG! Thanks for the update! Thanks for all of your hard work on the project! Happy 2023!

• mwtmwt Member
    edited January 2023

This is a cool idea. Sounds similar to MicroLXC. #ThanksGTHost, #ThanksPieHasBeenEaten, #Thankscrunchbits

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Hey! We just got our routed IPv6 /48 from Crunchbits! :)

ThanksCrunchbits

ThanksGTHost

ThanksPieHasBeenEaten

• noisycodenoisycode Member
    edited January 2023

Wow, it's cool. If I had one with 256MB RAM (yes, I don't actually need as much as 512MB), I would do some tests on distributed KV systems, say etcd, TiKV, which are not supposed to run stably on such a tiny virtual machine. I wouldvtry to figure out the best configuration for small vm and push it to the limit, and if something goes wrong, I might dive into the codebase, and make some modification.

Again, thanks for the great project!

ThanksGTHost

ThanksPieHasBeenEaten

Thankscrunchbits

#ThanksGTHost
    #ThanksPieHasBeenEaten
    #Thankscrunchbits

• Quick update on the new servers. We're making great progress! Currently on the last stages with v6 and stuff, should be ready soon(tm).

Thanks @FatGrizzly for the hard work!

ThanksCrunchbits

ThanksPieHasBeenEaten

ThanksGTHost

Thanked by 2FatGrizzly Not_Oles
  • me , when?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@Ganonk said:
    me , when?

We are getting everything up slowly, but steadily. We are performing tests as soon we set something up. Moreover myself and rest of the team are a bit busy with our everyday work and life. We will surely launch within a few weeks if everything goes as planned.

Thanks for your patience in waiting!

Thanked by 2Ganonk Not_Oles
  • not sure if i can qualify yet, but thanks anyways for offering the service.

ThanksGTHost

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • My posts might not be enough unfortunately :(

Thanked by 1Not_Oles