Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow Racknerd.. so Disappointed "HELP NEEDED"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Wow Racknerd.. so Disappointed "HELP NEEDED"

edited October 4 in Help

After researching VPS providers for days, I gave up and decided to just trust Racknerd.

Dustinc (from Racknerd?) is active in this community and everyone seems to love him.

However, long story short, customer support wouldn't provide support for a Phishing warning.

I know Racknerd is not Cloudways, but aren't Phishing attacks supposed to be handled by the hosting provider?

Am I being a Karen?

Comments

• HavyHavy Member

@UnicornsAllDay said:
    After researching VPS providers for days, I gave up and decided to just trust Racknerd.

Dustinc (from Racknerd?) is active in this community and everyone seems to love him.

However, long story short, customer support wouldn't provide support for a Phishing warning.

I know Racknerd is not Cloudways, but aren't Phishing attacks supposed to be handled by the hosting provider?

Am I being a Karen?

If you are talking about the abuse happening within the VPS and resolving within the VPS itself then yes you are being quite demanding. Seeing as it is a unmanaged service (typically speaking).

Now if they won't even give you the content URL, domain it's on or stuffs like this? Then I would agreeing with you and RackNerd should at least give you ENOUGH data to be troubleshooting this yourself within the VPS.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@UnicornsAllDay said:

Am I being a Karen?

(I think that you've misunderstood the notion 'Karen')

You bought an unmanaged VPS. What exactly would you expect RN to do?

Thanked by 2bdl newfulluser
  • HavyHavy Member

@angstrom said:

@UnicornsAllDay said:

Am I being a Karen?

This is why I commented so much. I don't know if they means WITHIN the VPS itself. Or if their abuse department is so vague they have ZERO clues on where to start within the VPS environment.

@Havy said:

@angstrom said:

@UnicornsAllDay said:

Am I being a Karen?

This is why I commented so much. I don't know if they means WITHIN the VPS itself. Or if their abuse department is so vague they have ZERO clues on where to start within the VPS environment.

We'll see if the OP tries to clarify

(I'm always skeptical about a first post like this one)

Thanked by 2Havy devp
  • jarjar Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2

That'll be for you to handle, and not very difficult either. My yunohost box keeps getting flagged by Google and it's entirely my fault because I chose to use the software that happens to be triggering it (false positive). If yours is also a false positive or based on the previous IP user, just request removal from the system that flags it. This is just stuff you have to do sometimes when you host stuff yourself.

• defaultdefault Member
    edited October 2

@yoursunny said:
    Thread will be moved to Offtopic after Dustin pays extra @BilohBucks.

Is it possible to invest in @BilohBucks now, for easier management of my own server later on?

Thanked by 2BilohBucks Egyarmy
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hi @UnicornsAllDay -- I noticed you just joined the LET community today, I'm sure that you'll enjoy your stay here, and thank you so much for choosing us as your provider :) As you've pointed out - we're very active within this community and do our best to provide a reliable service that our customers can rely on.

Once we get past this initial hiccup (which I'm sure we will), I am confident that you'll enjoy the services that we provide. If you'd be so kind to please send me a DM (or email me at [email protected]) with a ticket number so I can further investigate the context of this matter, as at this time it is not clear if this was something you're reporting that is hosted on our network or what the context is here.

Either way, I'll be happy to personally step in and oversee the resolution of this. I look forward to hearing from you.

• Too short to describe your issue clearly...

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • BilohBucksBilohBucks Member
    edited October 2

@default said:
    Is it possible to invest in @BilohBucks now, for easier management of my own server later on?

Absolutely! Be fast, @BilohBucks price is rising every day!

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • @UnicornsAllDay said:

Yep definition checks out

• GhtGht Member

@dustinc , Does it matter when this person was registered in here ?
    And it seems to me that you have more access to this forum than everyone else because you know all the things, and it's important because you are a top host[tag], and the best thing is that you also host this forum. And what is even more remarkable is that as far as I have seen, you have the biggest sales here. And with as much reputation as you are, it is your duty to give public responsibility to the problem he has. I'm not saying you don't offer good services or anything against you. But it seems to me that you are in control of everything and everyone here , correct me if im wrong.

Thanked by 2Egyarmy bdspice
  • @Ght said:
    And it seems to me that you have more access to this forum than everyone else because you know all the things,

You know everyone can see this right?

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Ght said:
    And it seems to me that you have more access to this forum than everyone else because you know all the things, and it's important because you are a top host[tag], and the best thing is that you also host this forum. And what is even more remarkable is that as far as I have seen, you have the biggest sales here. And with as much reputation as you are, it is your duty to give public responsibility to the problem he has. I'm not saying you don't offer good services or anything against you. But it seems to me that you are in control of everything and everyone here , correct me if im wrong.

Hi @Ght -- thank you for commenting. I'm not exactly following. Can you clarify? If you're referring to the beginning of my earlier reply, all I was saying there in other words, is welcome to the community.

Also, anyone, including you, can tell when a user was registered here on LowEndTalk, as long as you are signed in, select on the username and it'll tell you the "Joined" date/time on their profile page.

As for a resolution path - I am happy to step in and oversee the resolution of this matter, and will be able to once I get a better grasp on the situation/events that occurred here (pending OP's response to provide me with a ticket ID or some way to look up the account).

Thanked by 2Egyarmy newfulluser
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 3

@Ght said:
    But it seems to me that you are in control of everything and everyone here , correct me if im wrong.

You are very much wrong.

And in what world is someone expected to do something when the problem is intentionally not described?

• zedzed Member

you know for all the grief we collectively give @dustinc, if these personal responses he gives are genuine and he really helps these people that post issues that's pretty fucking cool, regardless. it's more common for public pleas for help on here to get shit on, by us if not by the provider themselves. or both.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited October 3

@UnicornsAllDay said: However, long story short, customer support wouldn't provide support for a Phishing warning.

Did your application on your vps was victim of phishing? It's not clear from your post but I assume so. Had it been managed vps, the support will look into it and even might scan and patch it. But for self-managed vps, support does not generally login to clients' vm unless root access is given to them by the client. Also helping self-managed vps clients is not their job, because that is what self-managed/unmanaged means in hosting industry. But Dustin and his team are quite supportive and could give you a helping hand.

• Dustin is the most patient person I've ever dealt with online and I get the impression he genuinely enjoys helping people, that's my experience.

• @UnicornsAllDay said:
    Am I being a Karen?

Nah, usually Karens are pretty straightforward with their demands.

support for a Phishing warning.

Too vague. Provide more details. Did Racknerd send you a phishing email? Did your VPS send one without your knowledge? Is your VPS IP flagged as used for phishing activities?

Thanked by 1Havy
  • lovelyserverlovelyserver Member
    edited October 3

I'm sure @dustinc will gonna make everything clear and will do something to cheer you up. Just cooperate with him, instead of fuming.

Cooperate, be nice (which is a rule of our community), be patient and again cooperate. Most of the time, the things are sorted out more quickly and pleasantly having a peacefully attitude.

Yes, maybe sometimes it's a good way to register and post on a forum. But if you have the chance to cooperate to sort out your problem, do it.

I hope we will gonna see the solution written here soon. And everyone happy :smiley: (let's hope).

All the best!

• OP is unsophisticated troll. That's just disgraceful... He should be banned ASAP and thread locked.

@UnicornsAllDay said:

We do expect you to return to clarify what exactly you're talking about

• To be honest, @dustinc is very helpful and i'm sure that he will fix the problem you're facing.

• @UnicornsAllDay - you are probably right about RackNerd.

However, for the fun of drama, we need a plot twist. Please provide some screenshots of the problem, including support tickets which contain the communication with RackNerd support staff (don't forget to blur or cover the names and confidential info). We need proof so that drama can explode and escalate properly.

Otherwise, the end will be nigh upon you, like it's said in the Bible, as mods "will carry out great vengeance upon you and punish you in their wrath, then you will know RackNerd is the lord" (adaptation from Ezekiel 25:17).

So please: screenshots! We need 'em screenshots!

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited October 3

@default said:
    @UnicornsAllDay - you are probably right about RackNerd.

However, for the fun of drama, we need a plot twist. Please provide some screenshots of the problem, including support tickets which contain the communication with RackNerd support staff (don't forget to blur or cover the names and confidential info). We need proof so that drama can explode and escalate properly.

Otherwise, the end will be nigh upon you, like it's said in the Bible, as mods "will carry out great vengeance upon you and punish you in their wrath, then you will know RackNerd is the lord" (adaptation from Ezekiel 25:17).

So please: screenshots! We need 'em screenshots!

Praise our lord, blessed be the fruit.

• First of all, I would like to see a picture of Karen

• Post and run, typical reverse shill behavior.

• @Carlin0 said:
    First of all, I would like to see a picture of Karen

Karen would now like to speak to the manager.

• emgemg Member

@UnicornsAllDay said:

Am I being a Karen?

"Am I being a Karen?" Yes.

Why? Because you dumped a big public complaint about a provider without providing sufficient details and without telling the provider or us what it is that you need or want.

-> Be detailed and specific. What is the exact problem? What do you want Racknerd to do about it?

I have an ordinary, low-cost Racknerd VPS. What Racknerd gave me was:

• A typical "server" computer. It has an internet connection, some RAM, and a drive like most computers. It has no display, keyboard, or mouse, just that skinny wire to the internet. In my case, Racknerd rents me a Virtual Private Server, a "VPS", but it doesn't matter. Let's call it a "server."
    • A public IP address assigned to my server. You need that to know where to connect and how to setup the DNS for the domain(s) you want to use with your server.
    • A server control panel to manage my server. I can use this to setup my server. I can also use it to deal with problems if I lose access to it or want to start over with a new configuration.
    • A separate account panel to manage my Racknerd billing and accounting. I can pay my bills, order new VPSs, etc. (There are also a few links for major controls on your server, but that is not the main purpose.)

The server control panel includes the tools you need to install a basic operating system, ready to go. Racknerd provides a list of operating systems to choose from.

-> It is up to you to keep your Racknerd server (VPS?) secure. Once you install the operating system, you must take steps to secure it. This is something you must do for yourself. Racknerd does not do it for you.

You have not been back since your original post. I hope you respond with additional details and what it is that you expect from Racknerd. Otherwise, you will leave me to wonder why I wasted my time.

(Disclaimer: @dustinc is the CEO of Racknerd. He and an associate have been charged with felonies related to the hosting business. They filed not guilty pleas. The criminal charges are still pending a trial or other resolution. The next hearing in the case will take place in November 2022. Dustin posted a statement here on LowEndTalk asserting that the ongoing case will not affect the Racknerd business. I signed up for my Racknerd VPS before I learned about this criminal case.)

Thanked by 1gamb1t
  • @emg said:

@UnicornsAllDay said:

Am I being a Karen?

"Am I being a Karen?" Yes.

Why? Because you dumped a big public complaint about a provider without providing sufficient details and without telling the provider or us what it is that you need or want.

-> Be detailed and specific. What is the exact problem? What do you want Racknerd to do about it?

I have an ordinary, low-cost Racknerd VPS. What Racknerd gave me was:

• A typical "server" computer. It has an internet connection, some RAM, and a drive like most computers. It has no display, keyboard, or mouse, just that skinny wire to the internet. In my case, Racknerd rents me a Virtual Private Server, a "VPS", but it doesn't matter. Let's call it a "server."
    • A public IP address assigned to my server. You need that to know where to connect and how to setup the DNS for the domain(s) you want to use with your server.
    • A server control panel to manage my server. I can use this to setup my server. I can also use it to deal with problems if I lose access to it or want to start over with a new configuration.
    • A separate account panel to manage my Racknerd billing and accounting. I can pay my bills, order new VPSs, etc. (There are also a few links for major controls on your server, but that is not the main purpose.)

The server control panel includes the tools you need to install a basic operating system, ready to go. Racknerd provides a list of operating systems to choose from.

-> It is up to you to keep your Racknerd server (VPS?) secure. Once you install the operating system, you must take steps to secure it. This is something you must do for yourself. Racknerd does not do it for you.

You have not been back since your original post. I hope you respond with additional details and what it is that you expect from Racknerd. Otherwise, you will leave me to wonder why I wasted my time.

(Disclaimer: @dustinc is the CEO of Racknerd. He and an associate have been charged with felonies related to the hosting business. They filed not guilty pleas. The criminal charges are still pending a trial or other resolution. The next hearing in the case will take place in November 2022. Dustin posted a statement here on LowEndTalk asserting that the ongoing case will not affect the Racknerd business. I signed up for my Racknerd VPS before I learned about this criminal case.)

You really typed this much to reply to a fake review troll?

This discussion has been closed.