Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Internxt 1TB Lifetime 99€ is back - Decentralized Zero Knowledge Cloud Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Internxt 1TB Lifetime 99€ is back - Decentralized Zero Knowledge Cloud Storage

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited April 13 in General

Back when I ordered pCloud a couple months(?!) ago, I thought it would be nice to also have gotten Internxt Decentralized Zero-Knowledge Cloud Storage lifetime deal but back then the deal had expired shortly after (iirc). pCloud serves me well for what I purchased it, that is as hot storage of documents and personal data/files/media which I frequently access and I am happy with both, Koofr and pCloud, however while the reviews for Internxt are still somewhat of a mixed bag, I now ended up purchasing their 99€/1TB lifetime deal which seems to be available again on https://internxt.com/lifetime . Internxt had been often bundled with the FastestVPN/Ivacy deals in the past and they are definitely using lots of social cookies on their site, however the whole project seems to be going somewhat "well" and the idea of a decentralized storage solution similar to Tresorit etc seems interesting.

They recently were backed by Telefonica (according to Twitter) and overall I realize they still need to improve lots of things, but betting on the future here :)

Some more info if you also wanted to give it a try:
https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/17/internxt-gets-1m-to-be-the-coinbase-of-decentralized-storage/

Tl;dr: Lifetime deal addict just bought into another storage deal to use as additional cold backup.

Comments

• the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited April 13

Hmm maybe I shall try this too. I'm also a Koofr and Pcloud lifetime customer. ;-)

Addicted to both lifetime deals and storage.

Can also recommend the Filen.io lifetime deal, €29.99 for 100GB (stackable, found under the 'Starter' tab).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 13

@the_doctor said:
    Hmm maybe I shall try this too. I'm also a Koofr and Pcloud lifetime customer. ;-)

Addicted to both lifetime deals and storage.

Can also recommend the Filen.io lifetime deal, €29.99 for 100GB (stackable, found under the 'Starter' tab).

Give it a try if you want :) The mobile app is still very basic but again the future will show.

They also work on smth called Internxt Mail:

"Internxt Mail is a secure email service. You can configure it with your own domain, or under a @internxt.com email address. You can use Internxt Mail for free with your Internxt account, and it also features zero-knowledge client-side encryption to ensure that only you can access your emails. We, nor any other third party can access emails sent within the Internxt ecosystem. Internxt Mail is currently in beta and will be made available to the general public within the next few months."

They also added smth new in the app called "Photos" which seems to be their photo backup solution.

Internxt Photos is a zero-knowledge photo storage service that's based on absolute privacy and uncompromising security. Your uploaded files are client-side encrypted and then fragmented into small pieces. Only you hold your decryption key which retrieves your fragmented files.

Services like Google Photos have permission to access your data. Internxt Photos features zero-knowledge encryption, meaning that only you can ever access your files. Internxt Photos is available on Mobile and Web. You can create a free Internxt account here. Your Internxt account includes access to Internxt Photos, Drive, Send, Mail, etc.

lVetFL.jpg

Filen is no longer available as LTD rn iirc, but was another I set my mind on. Very small team but promising project. Of course quite the difference between a company like Internxt backed by investors and millions $ budget, however that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing and gives Filen more freedom in their decisions.

• frakassfrakass Member

i have sugarsync 250g lifetime.

• @Ympker said:
    They also work on smth called Internxt Mail.
    They also added smth new in the app called "Photos" which seems to be their photo backup solution.

Sounds interesting, my biggest issue so far (using the free account) is that it's very very slow. Especially when compared to my other file storage services. But as you say, it's zero-knowledge, like Filen. Which is nice.

Filen is no longer available as LTD rn iirc,

You just have to select the "Starter" tab. Lifetime is found there.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NekkiNekki Member

I would like a lifetime deal on storage, but I have serious commitment issues.

Has anyone checked out icedrive (https://icedrive.net/plans)?

• @Nekki said:

Icedrive is ok. They seem to have slower development than pCloud and only real advantage over pCloud is they give the "encrypted folder" service for free. But personally I prefer to encrypt my data using rClone or Cryptomator anyways.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 13

@the_doctor said:

@Ympker said:
    They also work on smth called Internxt Mail.

Sounds interesting, my biggest issue so far (using the free account) is that it's very very slow. Especially when compared to my other file storage services. But as you say, it's zero-knowledge, like Filen. Which is nice.

Filen is no longer available as LTD rn iirc,

You just have to select the "Starter" tab. Lifetime is found there.

The way I understand it is that it's so slow because of the Zero-Knowledge encryption AND the fact that it's stored decentralized. Reading the article on techcrunchy I posted in OP the data is split upon upload to be stored as several encrypted shards on multiple destinations (think Iron man suite) and to download then probably also has to be retrieved in a similar way. I'm sure they have "speed" on their roadmap though, as many people complained about this and the additional funding ba Telefonica and others will likely allow them to improve on this factor (if technically possible).

Regarding Filen: thanks will check again! But Filen is too "small" for me to buy into rn. Great project, though!

@Nekki said:
    I would like a lifetime deal on storage, but I have serious commitment issues.

I'd stay away from Icedrive. Can't put my finger on it, but I believe I recently read their service was stagnating and they are kinda MIA.

Thanked by 2the_doctor Nekki
  • elliotcelliotc Member

With my knowledge in blockchain, Internxt sounds like a scam for me.

Thanked by 3jmaxwell Chuck taizi
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 13

@elliotc said:

Maybe I should visit their office in València since I'm there atm :P knock knock

• @elliotc said:

For €99 might be worth the risk.

@Ympker said:
    Maybe I should visit their office in València since I'm there atm :P knock knock

Can you ask for e LET exclusive promo code? I know they give 50% off to their investors. :-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 13

@the_doctor said:

@elliotc said:

@Ympker said:

Can you ask for e LET exclusive promo code? I know they give 50% off to their investors. :-)

They are "big" enough for me to not just pull an exit-scam kinda thing tbh. But yeah 99€, let's see what the future brings :)

@the_doctor probably won't go their office today anymore since I got my flight tomorrow and gotta pack and some shopping for family in the city center. I come back to València regularly, though, so next time I'll check and ask. No telling if, by then, they will still offer the lifetime deal, though. Discount on anual sub is also nice but lifetime is prem :D

• elliotcelliotc Member

@the_doctor said:

@elliotc said:

@Ympker said:

Managing large amounts of data is not an easy task, take google for example, they used a lot of money and time to develop their own file system and still improving. Not to mention improvement, maintance itself requires a lot of professional manpower.
    Decentralized on top of a "Distributed file system". This needs to be a tech gients level company inventsing for years. And there must be a lot of relevant papers emerging before it shows in real world. I am not saying that internxt is scam, but that this type of company most likely is scam.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 13

Quick upload test on my phone: 100MB test file took about 30 seconds to encrypt&upload. 1,05GB Testfile timed out twice. I remembered reading about a limit regarding upload file size of 1GB for web/mobile and it appears this is still the case. Apparently using the Desktop App has no such limit. Will check with support if that's the case. No problem for me since I wouldn't upload anything bigger than 1GB from my phone anyway .

• LeftupLeftup Member
    edited April 13

Quite amusing to see that they mentioned Storj as competitor on the article, even though Internxt it self using Storj under the hood.

You can check the source code, Internxt is open source https://github.com/internxt/drive-server

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 13

@Leftup said:
    Quite amusing to see that they mentioned Storj as competitor on the article, event though Internxt it self using Storj under the hood.

You can check the source code, Internxt is open source https://github.com/internxt/drive-server

Haha that's open source for you :D Less secrets. Then again, I guess that's a good thing, still. Marketing comparisons (esp with competitiors) are always kinds iffy. I mean, the other day I saw Koofr comparing themselves to pCloud and obviously they would make it look like they are ahead of the game. I love Koofr, I like pCloud. Both are good for what they are. However, marketing department rarely tells the truth :P Otherwhise, I'd rather drink a Red Bull than catch a plane ;)

Thanked by 3the_doctor Leftup BBTN
  • NekkiNekki Member

@Ympker said:

@Leftup said:
    Quite amusing to see that they mentioned Storj as competitor on the article, event though Internxt it self using Storj under the hood.

Haha that's open source for you :D Less secrets. Then again, I guess that's a good thing, still. Marketing comparisons (esp with competitiors) are always kinds iffy. I mean, the other day I saw Koofr comparing themselves to pCloud and obviously they would make it look like they are ahead of the game. I love Koofr, I like pCloud. Both are good for what they are. However, marketing department rarely tells the truth :P Otherwhise, I'd rather drink a Red Bull than catch a plane ;)

I’d be more happy with a Red Bull advert that is honest about the fact that drinking more than 2 cans in 24 hours will make you shit yourself.

Thanked by 2Ympker iKeyZ
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

@Leftup said:

I’d be more happy with a Red Bull advert that is honest about the fact that drinking more than 2 cans in 24 hours will make you shit yourself.

We can still dream :D

• CabbageCabbage Member
    edited April 13

Do they have some sort of upload/download system like Mega where even if connection drops unexpectedly, you still can continue it without reset? Preferably on Android.

And slightly off topic, but is it a good idea to use 7z's compression partitioning to simulate such system?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 13

@Cabbage said:
    Do they have some sort of upload/download system like Mega where even if connection drops unexpectedly, you still can continue it without reset? Preferably on Android.

And slightly off topic, but is it a good idea to use 7z's compression partitioning to simulate such system?

Their whole system is still somewhat in baby steps and very basic, so I wouldn't rely on it to have this feature. You could ask their support, though. My guess is that in 1-2 years to come it'll be worth to start really using it, the 99€ now just being an (idle) investment in the future :) I'll drop some stuff there, but nothing really serious.

• @Cabbage said:

It's very basic and has a difficult time working. A lot of people on Reddit also claim they lose files often, but that was months ago.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited April 13

Hmm, I'm tempted. They are currently working on WebDAV support (https://help.internxt.com/en/articles/5550683-internxt-webdav-support), which would enable some syncing and backup options that otherwise wouldn't be there. But until it ships it isn't a reason to buy.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@TimRoo said:
    Hmm, I'm tempted. They are currently working on WebDAV support (https://help.internxt.com/en/articles/5550683-internxt-webdav-support), which would enable some syncing and backup options that otherwise wouldn't be there. But until it ships it isn't a reason to buy.

The reason I bought in now is because I am sure features like WebDav and other "standard" features will be added sooner or later giving their funding (financial backing). How long the lifetime deal will be around is another story, though. Hence I am fine idling it 1-2 years and then start really using it not having to worry about a sub :)
    I have pCloud and Koofr so this would just be an additional destination for some backups, anyway.

• I had them for free for a year, you had to sign up with creditcard and their cancellation method is "delete your account".

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited April 14

These things are scams. The more distributed, the more redundancy needed, which increases overhead and complexity. There's no cost, speed or redundancy advantage in practice.

Digital Lifeboat and several others tried this a decade ago. It doesn't make sense and runs on hope that people won't just randomly stop using it, have power, hardware or Internet issues.

Edit: I was referring to the distributed cloud using other user's "spare" storage. My bad.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 14

Do they scan your stuff like google and choose what they want to sell to other companies?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 14

@Chuck said:
    Do they scan your stuff like google and choose what they want to sell to other companies?

While their site has some cookie trackers, I don't think files are scanned upon upload if they are indeed encrypted before uploading. Then again, you never know. Fwiw, pCloud scans the hashes of files uploaded to their e2e Zero-Knowledge crypto fault, too. They then compare them to stuff they don't like or is against there ToS and take action respectively (according to what I've read on reddit). If you want to be "safe", encrypt the files yourself (7z/cryptomator/veracrypt...) prior to uploading them. If you don't have content that may be against there ToS and your data is not sensitive enough to justify an extra layer of encryption, I guess their zero knowledge encryption should be sufficient.

@magicvpn yeah, I also had my account deleted a while back when I tried their free plan. More because I settled with pCloud back then, though. Then again, I actually prefer having my account and all data deleted when not using the service anymore, so I wouldn't say that's necessarily a bad thing. Acc was deleted without problems.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Help recommend a few websites where you can buy this type of cloud storage lifetime package at an affordable price.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@haomingsi said:
    Help recommend a few websites where you can buy this type of cloud storage lifetime package at an affordable price.

Stacksocial.

• NekkiNekki Member

@haomingsi said:
    Help recommend a few websites where you can buy this type of cloud storage lifetime package at an affordable price.

What's affordable in your mind, slacknuts?

• DevilDevil Member

Checked on Reddit and Internxt has almost exclusively only negative experiences from users.

Has anyone used Filen and Koofr? What’s the comparison between the two? (Does final has a comparable lifetime plan?)

pCloud seems very heavy handed and they’re known to block accounts on false positives and they sell encryption as an add-on.

Thanked by 1Ympker