Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

colocrossing: whats wrong with them?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

colocrossing: whats wrong with them?

im considering getting a vps with a provider that is hosted on colocrossing... it seems that many people see that a show stopper

may i ask you guys why?

Comments

• Some 8 years ago I had VPS and Managed VPS with HVH which was colocrossing's seller. Good performance, and reliable services. Later I moved to 2-3 hosts which uses colocrossing and by far they provided good service. CC lacks IPv6 and need few more improvement in connectivity (peering) with top-notch ISPs. But their Buffalo,NY location was quite good for me. Colocrossing does has diverse datacenters in various locations, east, west, central America, so if your host sells in all those locations you can diversify your VMs across U.S.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2021

Oh it’s fine. They’re generally of average network quality and just fine, but this is a pretty dramatic community and always has been. Old grudges die hard. Also their network wasn’t always fine.

Thanked by 1scooke
  • ScienceOnlineScienceOnline Member
    edited March 2021

One of the reasons is that a few years ago there were many one man band who used Colocrossing and were terrible amateurs, like BlueVm, and things like that, then it didn't help Colocrossing's reputation that a company employee, Chris Fabozzi, had created fake brands overselling vps. , for example "dollarvps" made out to a pizza chef in Buffalo, full of clues that led to Fabozzi, and he came here to deny the evidence pocketing the money without shame, if they haven't deleted them you will find threads from 5 or 6 years ago really embarrassing about that.
    For this reason Colocrossing was not well received a few years ago, today I use it through Virmach in Buffalo, I'm in Europe and apart from the lack of ipv6 I'm fine.

Thanked by 1DreamCaster
  • Depending on the IP address you're assigned, sometimes the reputation isn't as good, but otherwise they're alright. Lacks IPv6 but IPv4 is fine. Their network could be better but it's fine, it works, I can't have too many complaints for a budget service.

I'm using Virmach, which uses Colocrossing for their hosting services. It works, I got no complaints.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Exhibit 1

No IPv6 hall of shame

• GitHub
    • Google Cloud
    • Oracle Cloud
    • Outlook
    • MXroute
    • SparkPost
    • ColonCrossing - VirMach, RackNerd
    • XetHost
    • SoftShellWeb (San Jose only)
    • HostSolutions (unless you pay €69 sister setup fee)
    • IOFlood
    • KhanWebHost
    • Spearware Networks
    • Wishosting
    • Reprise Hosting
    • Limitless Hosting
    • HostWebis
    • Nexus Bytes (shared hosting only)

Include IPv6, by default, to get delisted.

Exhibit 2

Exhibit 3

https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/colocrossing.com

• Their problem is being too cheap which attracts bad customers.

• Some time ago, LET was full of crappy colocrossing reseller. Their customers were creating drama on a daily basis. Colocrossing itself is fine. Only their ip is blacklisted by many site include google.

• LeeLee Veteran

@smallbibi said: Their problem is being too cheap which attracts bad customers.

So every single low-end provider then.

• @Lee said:

@smallbibi said: Their problem is being too cheap which attracts bad customers.

So every single low-end provider then.

That's right. There's definitely a lot more people doing stupid shit like traffic exchange, spamming and even shoe proxies on low-end providers. After all, they would be losing money if they did those shady stuff on big name providers.

But why are low-end provider doing okay despite attracting these bad customers? Simple. They proactively weed out these bad customers. Does colocrossing do that? Probably not.

• gappergapper Member
    edited March 2021

@elliotc said:
    Some time ago, LET was full of crappy colocrossing reseller. Their customers were creating drama on a daily basis. Colocrossing itself is fine. Only their ip is blacklisted by many site include google.

so probably my site will not get indexed by google and/or will get penalized even if im not doing anything wrong?

• @gapper said:

@elliotc said:
    Some time ago, LET was full of crappy colocrossing reseller. Their customers were creating drama on a daily basis. Colocrossing itself is fine. Only their ip is blacklisted by many site include google.

so probably my site will not get indexed by google and/or will get penalized even if im doing nothing wrong?

Blacklisting means that if you use it as a VPN, a lot of sites will be blocked, or at least you have to "you're not a bot". Mail also affected. I'm not sure about SEO, but personally I don't feel that's the case. (I have some small sites on VirMach since 2018).

• deankdeank Member, Troll

They are strictly average in all aspects.

And they don't starve to be better. They do starve at something though which I can't say because this is their forum.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @deank said:

And they don't starve to be better. They do starve at something though which I can't say because this is their forum.

"The end is bonk"

• naingnaing Member

@yoursunny said: No IPv6 hall of shame

Maybe you should first put Cogent or HE onto your hall of shame. Networks singlehomed to either of these will have broken IPv6 which IMO is even worst than no IPv6 at all.

Thanked by 2boernd BrianHarrison
  • Maybe because of summer hosts in the last few years (NFP hosting, AlphaRacks,...etc) .

@naing said:

Maybe you should first put Cogent or HE onto your hall of shame. Networks singlehomed to either of these will have broken IPv6 which IMO is even worst than no IPv6 at all.

My residential network is HE tunnel and it works well.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • short personal answer is they fail to support older clients properly from perosnal experience. longer answer they likely created or facilitated many fake hosting buisnesses and promoted them with intent to fold shop in a few months and got away with the fraud.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

In other words, ipv6 is not that important. Your list proves the point. Some of the biggest hosting companies/cloud providers on the planet and their customers do just fine without it.

@yoursunny said: Exhibit 2

You're saying @VirMach is a scam? Proof?

Thanked by 3jar jsg BrianHarrison
  • nurexnurex Member

The major problems are:

• They claim they will support IPv6 soon™, but it's been 5 years, still no IPv6.
    • Their IP space is highly polluted.
    • Many provider sell colocrossing VPS for dirty cheap and after some time, deadpool.

If you do not care about IPv6 and IP quality, then colocrossing is OK.

@raindog308 said:

Virmach is a ColoCrossing provider, except the new Ryzen service.
    @SCAM_DONT_BUY made the comic.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@raindog308 said:

Virmach is a ColoCrossing provider, except the new Ryzen service.
    @SCAM_DONT_BUY made the comic.

No, you don’t get to weasal out on that basis. You quoted it and hence are presenting it as your opinion.

What is your evidence that @VirMach is a scam?

• SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited March 2021

@raindog308 said: You're saying @VirMach is a scam? Proof?

It had more of an "everything comes to an end once" meaning rather than they're scammers. Anyways, their relationship with ColoCrossing isn't as flawless as I thought back then.

@yoursunny said: @SCAM_DONT_BUY made the comic.

I just edited parts of it. The original comic was themed for Black Friday, which can be found here.

Ontopic: ColoCrossing doesn't have to do anything with this forum! Nothing at all! - sometime back in the 2010's.

Edit: I recall now! They were doing a 5 IPv4 deal when ColoCrossing just had a bunch of ranges listed on Spamhaus.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @nurex said:
    The major problems are:

• They claim they will support IPv6 soon™, but it's been 5 years, still no IPv6.
    • Many provider sell colocrossing VPS for dirty cheap and after some time, deadpool.

These all sound very serious. IP quality should matter much for hosts.

• @ankursharma8715 said:

@nurex said:
    The major problems are:

These all sound very serious. IP quality should matter much for hosts.

No IPv6 is serious? Oh my god, get off the damn bandwagon.

Thanked by 1kalimov622
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@ankursharma8715 said: >These all sound very serious. IP quality should matter much for hosts.

And cheap colo price too, which they offer.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@naing said:

My residential network is HE tunnel and it works well.

Until you try to reach a destination single-homed to Cogent, like for example anything hosted at FDC.

Thanked by 2skorous naing
  • LeeLee Veteran

To be fair, back in the day when I had services with CVPS they were decent, never really had issues with them.

Thanked by 1babibubebon
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@yoursunny

No IPv6 hall of reasonable companies[¹]

• GitHub
    • Google Cloud
    • Oracle Cloud
    • Outlook
    • MXroute
    • SparkPost
    • ColoCrossing - VirMach, RackNerd
    • XetHost
    • SoftShellWeb (San Jose only)
    • HostSolutions
    • IOFlood
    • KhanWebHost
    • Spearware Networks
    • Wishosting
    • Reprise Hosting
    • Limitless Hosting
    • HostWebis
    • Nexus Bytes
      ¹ at least wrt IPv6

Btw. If IPv6 really was so great and necessary there would be no need for propaganda trumpeting. IF you like propagandizing I suggest you lobby all them companies, institutes, agencies (like the one you work for) and organizations with ridiculously - and irresponsibly! - large IP4 allocations to limit themselves to reasonable ranges and to free IPs.

• I never use ipv6, so no biggie for me.
    I generally dislike CC due to the amount of scam hosts that use them (or come from them?).
    With that being said - their network, specially in Atlanta, seems to be very well connected and peered, so if you put the dirty dirty IPv4s aside - its a great location with awesome network connectivity.

• @deank said:

The word is "strive".

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint