Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk Selling Rules (Updated April 2023) - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk Selling Rules (Updated April 2023)

Comments

• @Clouvider said: If you limit this back to $49 then it means I can't sell you

Not LET's problem.

@Clouvider said: Thus potentially robbing LET of members who would stick around if they had a choice between crap and a sustainable service not limited to the crap service only.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 1.99 euro kidechire for the whole time it existed (~ 3 yrs i guess). Never once it went down, nor did I ever had to contact support for anything. If a specific price range that LET is all about isn't sustainable for you, it doesn't mean there aren't shops who can do it and do it good. Virmach, DbD, Nocix, online.net, OVH, Hetzner and there are lots and lots of providers who have much to offer under $49. If you don't, just post somewhere else. simple.

@AnthonySmith said: I we need to go through them and discuss and make a decision which will be done soon.

Rules shouldn't be relaxed/bent to suit the ledgers of specific providers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Like I said it will be discussed, there are only 2 hosts on the staff of 9, the decisions like all decisions are made for the overall benefit of LET as a whole not to suit individual demands, the staff jointly have the best view of this in terms of impacts so are best placed to make the decision.

regardless of personal opinion, the change has added content and engagement to the site as a whole however on balance the dedicated servers sub section of offers is still pretty insignificant in the scheme of things.

My opinion is that the dedicated server offers have been so poor over the last few years and seriously declined because the price is just too restrictive, so all we have ended up with is the usual ovh, hetzner, online.net, nocix offers reposted by members rather than creating an actual market place we have created a sign posting to other market places service.

New with spectre and meltdown a lot of the offers we would have seen under $49 for old hardware will be gone too as those chips should rightly be in the bin.

Finally, I don't know which way it will go it is not my decision in isolation, but either way please understand, it is now such a tiny insignificant part of LET it really can't be argued that if the change was made long term it would have any measurable negative impact on you, if however in 6 months the dedi offers pick up again as a result, we can for sure look at dialing it back again, nothing is set in stole .... apart from $7

Thanked by 1beagle
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

If you’re spinning this to imply that it was done so we benefit, I’ll save you the trouble and tell you that not once we have posted an offer thread while the rules were relaxed.

Reducing the limit will, over time, reduce this community to a size of a small Facebook group. Limiting your membership when the trend is against you is silly.

Thanked by 1sithrebel15
  • @AnthonySmith said: please understand, it is now such a tiny insignificant part of LET it really can't be argued that if the change was made long term it would have any measurable negative impact on you, if however in 6 months the dedi offers pick up again as a result, we can for sure look at dialing it back again, nothing is set in stole .... apart from $7

I know that dedi offers are in any case very rare on LET and occupy very little space on the forum to affect the overall niche of it. My contention is more to do with how I perceive LET as and the concept about which this board was formed, of course a individual opinion doesn't matter though.

• @Clouvider said: If you’re spinning this to imply that it was done so we benefit, I’ll save you the trouble and tell you that not once we have posted an offer thread while the rules were relaxed.

Do you need to? In any case you can be found sailing & lingering in just every thread about dedicated servers, sometimes with a sales pitch, sometimes with some actual useful information and rest of the times belittling your competitors. The strategy might already be working enough for you in addition to the usual fan base recommending you every now and then.

Yep, cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time with a community this size.

Once decisions have been made on the trials I will probably clean this thread up a bit to get new perspectives on the new rule set.

• @Clouvider said: Reducing the limit will, over time, reduce this community to a size of a small Facebook group. Limiting your membership when the trend is against you is silly.

The community has thrived and developed into what it is today on being about low-end stuff. It should maintain that instead of being all-inclusive and inviting all kinds of business models to use it as a marketplace.

Actually it has been shrinking pretty significantly for about the last 3 years, it has only started growing again in the last 6 or so weeks.

Anecdotal but the only major thing that has changed is more offers being posted.

• @AnthonySmith said: Actually it has been shrinking pretty significantly for about the last 3 years, it has only started growing again in the last 6 or so weeks.

Anecdotal but the only major thing that has changed is more offers being posted.

Probably gotten more popular in China in recent weeks. That might be the only reason.

@dynamo said:

@AnthonySmith said: Actually it has been shrinking pretty significantly for about the last 3 years, it has only started growing again in the last 6 or so weeks.

Probably gotten more popular in China in recent weeks. That might be the only reason.

Even if, that's thanks to more offers =).

edited April 2018

new rule added for customer protection:

Misc rules

• If you are found to be misleading customers or using ethically questionable practices that may result in financial loss to customers, your provider tag will be changed to a host_rep tag and you will not be able to post offers.
  • imokimok Member

Hi @AnthonySmith
    It would be better if you try to simplify these rules in a single point, as they look like redundant:

Provider tags:

When applying please include a link to your public company registration in your country of registration, your company number, a link to your website and public whois information.

Misc rules:

You must have valid, public WHOIS info for your domain and/or provide proof of company registration on your website (publicly accessible on the website of your country's commerce authority).

• @imok said:
    Hi @AnthonySmith
    It would be better if you try to simplify these rules in a single point, as they look like redundant:

Provider tags:

When applying please include a link to your public company registration in your country of registration, your company number, a link to your website and public whois information.

Misc rules:

You must have valid, public WHOIS info for your domain and/or provide proof of company registration on your website (publicly accessible on the website of your country's commerce authority).

The first entry is so we can verify it easily, the second is so users can see it too.

If only the second was present, we'd have to dig around a providers website to find it, and then search whatever registration authority for the details.

So the duplicate part seems to be redundant, but it serves a purpose.

• williewillie Member

My understanding has always been that one needs a provider tag to open a new offer thread, but other offers (like responding in someone else's request thread) doesn't require the tag. Amirite? I just want to be sure. I'm seeing some posts of that sort getting flagged.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@willie said:
    My understanding has always been that one needs a provider tag to open a new offer thread, but other offers (like responding in someone else's request thread) doesn't require the tag. Amirite? I just want to be sure. I'm seeing some posts of that sort getting flagged.

Replying with an offer as a non-provider is allowed. However, some stipulations apply:

(Misc rule #3) -

It is not allowed to reply to request threads with "PM me" or "email me" without a provider tag or Host Rep tag.

So any offers must contain a link to a proper company's site/billing panel to purchase the offer and it must be clear what company that individual represents.

Thanked by 1willie

Update 08th may 2018:

• Domain auctions can be posted every 10 days just like any other offer type. - was every 30 days

• Minimum time registered to post domain auctions is now 30 days. - was 14 days

• Domain auctions no longer sink after 24 hours - this was manual and very rarely done in reality.

Thanked by 3Tom MikePT JackH
  • JackHJackH Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Update 08th may 2018:

• Domain auctions can be posted every 10 days just like any other offer type. - was every 30 days

• Minimum time registered to post domain auctions is now 30 days. - was 14 days

• Domain auctions no longer sink after 24 hours - this was manual and very rarely done in reality.

Sounds fantastic! I look forward to hopefully finding a three letter domain that I can pick up for short hostnames! :-D

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

All domains in the auction must be at least 6 months old.

@AnthonySmith, can this rule be amended?

Why the 6 months old limit? There shouldn't be any minimum limit :D

I mean, suppose I register a good domain name (I have) registered 2-3 days ago and I wish to list it here for the LETers to grab the opportunity of making use of the domain. But I'll need to wait for 6 months. Why?

Please state your point of view on the 6 months waiting period.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@BlaZe said:

I mean, suppose I register a good domain name (I have) registered 2-3 days ago and I wish to list it here for the LETers to grab the opportunity of making use of the domain. But I'll need to wait for 6 months. Why?

I believe the answer lies in your question, to prevent people buy and quickly resell it here?

edited May 2018

@FAT32 said:
    I believe the answer lies in your question, to prevent people buy and quickly resell it here?

What is wrong in it? I mean a lot of opportunities can go waste, just imagine.

Suppose you have a good domain name which honestly has no use for you but someone else from this community can make use of it.
    But, not everytime we can do charity, so you list it here for auction. You earn some small profit.

Think about it. Sometimes a quick resale would be beneficial for others.

EDIT: Oh and you'd get more than ~180 days left to make use of the domain names you buy off the auctions before ending up renewing them.

why did you buy it if you have no use for it then ?

@Clouvider said:

To sell it here.

edited May 2018

@BlaZe said:

@Clouvider said:

To sell it here.

And that’s exactly what the rule was designed here to prevent.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@BlaZe said:

What is wrong in it? I mean a lot of opportunities can go waste, just imagine.

Suppose you have a good domain name which honestly has no use for you but someone else from this community can make use of it.
    But, not everytime we can do charity, so you list it here for auction. You earn some small profit.

Think about it. Sometimes a quick resale would be beneficial for others.

EDIT: Oh and you'd get more than ~180 days left to make use of the domain names you buy off the auctions before ending up renewing them.

My intention is that if someone else want to get a domain name for a specific project, he/she can just search and get it from the registrar instead of bidding in forum, just because other people are squatting on a domain

Thanked by 1Clouvider
    edited May 2018

@Clouvider said:
    And that’s exactly what the rule was designed here to prevent.

:(

@FAT32 said:
    My intention is that if someone else want to get a domain name for a specific project, he/she can just search and get it from the registrar instead of bidding in forum, just because other people are squatting on a domain.

Partially agreed with this but still, there are scenarios where you must have (had) a lot of ideas to start/open/launch a service but wasn't getting a proper/brandable domain name idea for it.
    You by chance bump into the LET auction thread and hey! you'll be desperate to buy off the domain as it suits your "idea".

Example:
    You want to open a service similar to say LES (LowEndSpirit) providing NAT based VPS but you weren't any how motivated or were clueless as to what identity you need for the new venture. You saw that someone is selling a good brandable domain name and it has caught your attention. You bought it off! Enjoy.

Nope, not interested in generating a scalping market place, that is why general re-sellers were also written out in the rules.

BlaZe said: Example: You want to open a service similar to say LES (LowEndSpirit) providing NAT based VPS but you weren't any how motivated or were clueless as to what identity you need for the new venture. You saw that someone is selling a good brandable domain name and it has caught your attention. You bought it off! Enjoy.

I mean, if you are talking about it more as a kind service and if your wanting to sell it at cost to help someone out then I suppose the rules could be changed to say <6 months old must be at cost with proof of purchase.

@AnthonySmith said:
    I mean, if you are talking about it more as a kind service and if your wanting to sell it at cost to help someone out then I suppose the rules could be changed to say <6 months old must be at cost with proof of purchase.

Sorry, I did not understand this. What kind of service should be appended with the domain?

Also, what proof of purchase? Please elaborate :D this is getting interesting :)

• teamaccteamacc Member

@AnthonySmith said:

BlaZe said: Example: You want to open a service similar to say LES (LowEndSpirit) providing NAT based VPS but you weren't any how motivated or were clueless as to what identity you need for the new venture. You saw that someone is selling a good brandable domain name and it has caught your attention. You bought it off! Enjoy.

This stuff doesn't need to be in the rules. Contact the staff and we'll give permission (or won't) on a case-by-case basis.

@teamacc said:
    Contact the staff and we'll give permission (or won't) on a case-by-case basis.

Sounds good but won't it increase the burden on the staff? Practically, users shooting off tickets to staff for listing a potential domain name which they registered few days might put extra load on the staff duties which I assume might already be a hectic work due to the size of the community.

The idea is good but it'll put unnecessary load on the staff which in my eyes seem to be not good.

If there can be a work-around to this, say the user needs to be atleast registered on LET for say 2-3 years (or more) to lift the limit of the minimum threshold of domain age to list as auction. How does it sound?