Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk Community Rules (Updated April 2023) - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk Community Rules (Updated April 2023)

Comments

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited March 2018

@Rhys

ffs :/

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

I mean, we do!

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yep, I appreciate that, what you can't see is the conflict catalyst that was removed which prompted this response to begin with :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2018

AnthonySmith said: the conflict catalyst that was removed

Was just an innocent piece of the usual LET-style meme'ing and banter. What makes LET what it is, giving it its soul, compared to countless WHT wannabes and lookalikes, and the WHT itself. If you want to crack down on and eliminate that,

then I would like to wish you good luck, but sorry I just can't. I'll just hope that for the next admin (6th or 7th by now?) we get someone who... gets it.

Well maybe when the time comes you can step up to the plate and show us how it's done, until then I am doing my best to keep the peace and reduce the pointless trolling that the loud and aggressive minroty think is cool.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

Severe warning for an opinion.

Thanked by 1rm_
    edited March 2018

@rm_

So the rules are updated, made pretty clear, even date stamped, most were in place before I took over.

You ignore them, no warning just standard modderation action.

You ignore them again, no warning just a standard modderation action.

You ignore them yet again, you are given a warning and the rules pasted in to your warning.

You then take it to another thread and keep pushing.

Don't troll offer posts, why is that such a big deal for you?

@Rhys, so far you have pretty much done the same as @rm_ in the past, and you have compared me to Hitler and now Putin, you jump on every possible opportunity to create drama and you have had fair warning in the past.

To everyone else: please understand, this is not a paid position, it is not a simple position, I am not your punching bag, I am here to guide and moderate, you cant please everyone all of the time, what you can do though is simply remove those who think its fun to go out of their way to make it difficult.

Thanked by 2MikePT cociu
  • compares someone to a fascist

gets banned

maldovia said: compares someone to a fascist

gets banned

Compares someone to a fascist twice, been banned in the past for generating drama and deciding the "dont be a dick" and "admins and moderators are people too" rules (set in place long before I took over) do not apply to him, gets banned.

Would be more accurate.

• WinneWinne Member

Fascists are people too !

Thanked by 1joeri
  • @AnthonySmith

Ah, looks like I was wrong. In my defense, there's literally no other way for me to tell if anything was deleted, so...

@FlamesRunner no worries, happens a lot :)

• FalzoFalzo Member

honestly... try not to over regulate if in any way possible.

I don't know what was posted in that offer thread(s) by @rm_ , maybe I wouldn't agree with whatever he wrote. but the community usually can take a lot and evaluate/handle opinions themselves, you should give them that.

I can't see how simply removing entire posts does any good to any discussion (besides if containing illegal stuff or serious harrassment and so on ofc).

warnings seem to be a good measure, but maybe better done in public and next to the post in question, stating that no further discussion is wanted?

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
    edited March 2018

The rules are pretty clear, as I have said over and over, its impossible to please everyone, someone will always think there was a different way of doing things, a warning was given.

On the other hand when people think its fun to constantly call the mods/admins fascist dictators despite past warnings then take the the LET ticket system to continue doing so and then take to discord to continue again, it completely justifies the actions.

The rules either way are clear, I will paste them again here:

Provider Offers

If you see an offer that is not right for you for some reason just move on, not everything will fit your individual needs and it may be a great offer for someone else, it is not your place to trash hosts offers.

While a certain amount of community self moderation has always been acceptable and is still acceptable apply common sense and try to be constructive. e.g. "OpenVZ is rubbish" or "I can get this cheaper at xyz host" is of no use to anyone, if you feel that way then just move on, do not assume your thoughts are welcome and widely accepted by the community.

I don't see that as over moderation at all, just keeping things clam, if you have something to say about an offer post then fine, make it constructive, but just popping in with "to expensive", "useless" etc is a complete waste of space and just serves in putting providers off completely.

-

On top of that then using the offer post to vent your feelings about censorship is completely out of line.

And is also clearly covered in the community rules (pasted below):

Moderators and admins are people too

You'll be expected to treat us like human beings. We are not robots that experience no emotion, we are not contracted third parties, we are human and members of this community.

We will not tolerate having our judgment or impartiality repeatedly called into question for the purpose of causing unrest in the community, addiction to drama, or manipulating us into reversing decisions (ex. "well if you're not hiding anything then bring back the thread you deleted").

We are just doing a job here, calling our actions 'censorship' is not acceptable, we are here to moderate and guide the community, if we believe something you have posted requires editing this is just us doing our job, if you have issues with decisions made open a ticket to discuss it, do not then re-edit your posts complaining about 'censorship'.

-

Much of this was already in place before I took over, this is not an 'Anthony' thing, they are so unbelievably lax anyway, don't be a dick pretty much covers it, some people just enjoy poking authority yet seem incredibly surprised when it pokes back on occasion.

I do this voluntarily, its not a paid role, I was chosen, I did not ask, I am doing my best to maintain balance where previously toxicity has been dominant, it is no surprise to me that these things are happening and no doubt this will not be the last, that said, new members getting beyond 1 post is up and the community is growing for the first time in literally years.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2018

AnthonySmith said: its impossible to please everyone, someone will always think there was a different way of doing things, a warning was given.

I agree to that.

still, if you don't like being compared to dictators try to not act like them. been there, done that.

also the russian president (for the moment) is just that. probably not the one to like or agree with, but still a living and acting president like Trump or Xi
    putting him next to Hitler and acting on that seems more like letting your personal opinion and emotions overrule your intelligence.

my intention is not to stir the pot, rather to calm you down and have you try and see how your actions might come across. especially with a lot of informations missing.
    hence my comment above, that removing things might not be that helpful...

I think it would be good if there is not need at all to justify your actions afterwards, because they've been transparent from the beginning.

AnthonySmith said: new members getting beyond 1 post is up and the community is growing for the first time in literally years.

if it wasn't the rules that changed (like you said, they've been there before), think about it for a minute what else did. I don't believe it's you finally enforcing them...

Thanked by 1rm_
    edited March 2018

@Falzo, your missing half the information, I have been called a Nazi, Hitler now Putin, and when warned they continue, what other action would you expect?

Falzo said: still, if you don't like being compared to dictators try to not act like them. been there, done that.

I fail to see how I am being a dictator, but either way, lets be honest LET was never a democracy to begin with.

putting him next to Hitler and acting on that seems more like letting your personal opinion and emotions overrule your intelligence.

Nothing to do with my feelings here, I am literally being called a fascist dictator, Nazi and Hitler.

Falzo said: my intention is not to stir the pot, rather to calm you down and have you try and see how your actions might come across. especially with a lot of informations missing.

I think people generally think I take this a lot more serious than i do, its just all underpinned by don't be a dick, Rhys is constantly trying to stir the pot, even after being warned and eventually banned for a month he decided to use the LET support desk to hurl more abuse, when that was shut down he took to discord to continue, there is a line, he crossed it several times.

rm on the other hand while he still broke the rules was able to express himself rationally with words.

Falzo said: I think it would be good if you there is not need to justify your actions afterwards at all, because they've been transparent from the beginning.

I am a volunteer I don't have time and frankly I don't feel the need to justify every action I take here, the thing you don't understand is that this is probably 1 of 100 moderation actions taken today, 99.9% of the time people just get on with it.

I really wish I did not have to sit and explain the same thing over and over again but sadly it seems I do.

Falzo said: if it wasn't the rules that changed (like you said, they've been there before), think about it for a minute what else did. I don't believe it's you finally enforcing them...

They have been modified slightly to lean more towards a balance, they are also for the first time in a while being enforced, removal of key trouble makers either by their own choice or by force means that we don't get a string of insults and $7 whenever a new member posts.

Anyway, that really is all I have to say on the matter, its not that big of a deal, a cheeky little shit kid that seems to genuinely think name calling qualifies as an opinion refuses to learn a lesson was banned, cheers in private have not been insignificant, life will move on, he will be forgotten.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

People always used to whinge that the rules weren't being enforced.

People are now whinging because they are being enforced.

Sometimes, I think people just want to be miserable.

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:
    If you see an offer that is not right for you for some reason just move on, not everything will fit your individual needs and it may be a great offer for someone else, it is not your place to trash hosts offers.

glad to see the toxic off putting "trolling" in provider offer threads is being stopped, that is why I haven't really posted a offer thread in a while actually, it means I have to actually be there to "babysit" the thread to handle the trolls. glad you are finally doing something about it ant.

cubedata said: glad you are finally doing something about it ant.

Thanks for the feedback, it is one of the number one complaints I got in private as soon as I took the role and in reality it was just a handful of people doing it in 90% of cases, a number of them are no longer LET members.

• BITWBITW Member

2 Lines Signature max
    How many links can be put there? Thanks in advance.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@BITW said:
    2 Lines Signature max

Probably 40 or so. How many can you put on two lines?

Thanked by 2MasonR lurch
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@jarland said:

@BITW said:
    2 Lines Signature max

I believe it can fits 300 (Example of 10 below)

• BITWBITW Member

@jarland said:

Already got cleared about this matter. Not a big deal. 3-4 is fine.

• why i cant post. when i try to post it shows me an error saying i m not allowed to post in this category. I have tried all categories.....

ahmadtalal0786 said: why i cant post. when i try to post it shows me an error saying i m not allowed to post in this category. I have tried all categories.....

Well you managed to post here?

I think you are telling lies perhaps?

Provide a screenshot.

• @AnthonySmith said:

ahmadtalal0786 said: why i cant post. when i try to post it shows me an error saying i m not allowed to post in this category. I have tried all categories.....

Provide a screenshot.

Don't think a member can post in the offers category.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@FlamesRunner said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Provide a screenshot.

Don't think a member can post in the offers category.

• Sorry, I broke a rule about replying to dead thread. I take old threads don't automatically lock. Some forum software does this... but I guess Vanilla forum doesn't have this feature? (hope May 2018 is not considered old thread).

• williewillie Member
    edited June 2018

We don't automatically lock old threads because some topics are of continuing interest and new posts can be relevant. Other times (someone asked a question years ago but it's long since lost relevance) it's best to not revive the thread unless you have something of real current interest to contribute.

Thread revival isn't a bad problem in its own right, but when new users do it without obvious good reasons, it's often simply someone cluttering up the board to get their post count up so they can ask for a provider tag or the like. That's why we tend to clamp down when that happens.

Thanked by 3joepie91 kassle Shazan
  • I got warning due to wishing cancer and I said why. So, let is not a place for free speech?

Anyway, I love LET. I think professional manner is what I need to maintain.

Regards