Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for feedback on our OnApp Cloud setup. Free stuff! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for feedback on our OnApp Cloud setup. Free stuff!

Comments

• LAKidLAKid Member

@ElliotJ vmhosts.co.uk is using exactly same setup.

• @LAKid said: @ElliotJ vmhosts.co.uk is using exactly same setup.

With the OnApp/WHMCS integration? Interesting. I personally haven't come across another provider on LEB using it before.
    Aside from that, we are using KVM instead of Xen, and hopefully the SSDs will play nicely.

We're really deliberating on whether to use the current WHMCS integration setup, or fall back onto the standard OnApp panel. Hopefully this will give up some insight.

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited July 2012

[root@ ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.10039 seconds, 346 MB/s

wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin
    --2012-07-26 01:05:57-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 140.99.94.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|140.99.94.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `100mb.bin'

100%[=====================================================>] 104,857,600 10.7M/s in 9.7s

2012-07-26 01:06:07 (10.3 MB/s) - `100mb.bin' saved [104857600/104857600]

IOPING
    [root@~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=testfilex bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.66566 seconds, 403 MB/s

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.1
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 3292.704 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 245 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    System uptime : 4 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 10.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 2.44MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 2.23MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.39MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 8.68MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 971KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 1.31MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.29MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 2.01MB/s
    I/O speed : 467 MB/s

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

@LAKid said: 403 MB/s

Not as fast as I'd hope to be seeing, although I'm presuming it's the initial hit with people (re)installing stuff and running benchmarks.

Hopefully by tomorrow it'll stabilise and hit 600MB/sec+

• @jhadley said: Let us know if you need any articles which aren't in there and we'll get them written.

So you own This or @ElliotJ ?

• jhjh Member

Just to add, we're not just looking for lots of dd tests, but some thoughts on the control panel, any bugs, general usability etc., and most importantly, whether having tried the server you think the prices are reasonable.

• @DanielM said: So you own This or @ElliotJ ?

@Jhadley owns VirtIO.

• jhjh Member

@DanielM said: So you own This or @ElliotJ ?

I own it at the moment and Elliot's helping out. Elliot has helped out an awful lot so it may well become joint ownership fairly quickly.

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited July 2012

@ElliotJ I have one of those free vps from Vmhosts, I thought you are a cousin or something, because the control panel is exactly same. Based on my experience, if you want to make clients feel comfortable, don't use WHMCS integrated control panel, it's a crap and slow even though it works.

• @LAKid said: @ElliotJ I have one of those free vps from Vmhosts, I thought you are a cousin or something, because the control panel is exactly same. Based on my experience, if you want to make clients feel comfortable, don't use WHMCS integrated control panel, it's a crap and slow even though it works.

Thanks for your input @LAKid, I had a similar first impression, but it's nice to hear it from other people too.

Depending on how things go, we might be able to try out the OnApp portal too, so you can compare/contrast the two experiences.

• The centos 6 template isn't that good. (ext3 filesystem, too much crap running by default)
    It's slow to reboot/reinstall
    There doesn't seem to be a way to change OS templates (click "Rebuild Virtual Machine" and it just reinstalls the same template)

• flyfly Member

archlinux template is all kinds of fuxed up

• @dmmcintyre3 said: The centos 6 template isn't that good. (ext3 filesystem, too much crap running by default)

It's slow to reboot/reinstall

As discussed on IRC, the templates aren't ideal at the moment. I'll be looking at rolling our our own templates shortly.

Changing OSes is a little awkward at the moment - You need to stop and then delete your virtual machine, and then re-deploy it.

• flyfly Member

ain't nothing wrong with ext3

• LAKidLAKid Member

Debian 6 is fully functional without any problem: Centos is a crap.
    Below is after webmin/virtualmin installation:

Debian Linux 6.0
    Kernel and CPU Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 on x86_64
    Real memory 243.42 MB total, 121.85 MB used
    Virtual memory 1023.99 MB total, 16.92 MB used

• azizmbazizmb Member

Can I give it a test run if there's any slots left? I've read the terms and conditions and accept them!

• I like OnApp, please send me one. thanks.

• namename Member

@ElliotJ said: Our everlasting love.

I only want it, : )

• @jhadley said: I own it at the moment and Elliot's helping out. Elliot has helped out an awful lot so it may well become joint ownership fairly quickly.

Ahh, well good luck :)

and btw i was going to reply other day but ive had to reformat the infected servers! and i lost your email :(

• jhjh Member

@dmmcintyre3:

• could you please let me know which template specifically you're using and what is running that should not be running?
    • how long is it taking to reinstall? It queues the request so when 10 new servers have just been created, the node doesn't crash.
    • the rebuild thing, see Elliot's comment for now but making this easier is a priority

@fly please go into more detail about the Arch template - what is wrong with it?

@azizmb and @jeffpan last night there was 1 slot left. It's up to Elliot who it goes to ;)

@DanielM no problem

Looking at the comments here well probably ditch the WHMCS controls :)

• @jhadley said: @azizmb and @jeffpan last night there was 1 slot left. It's up to Elliot who it goes to ;)

Actually, @vahe posted first. :(

I'll send him a message about it first, but if I spot anyone not really using their test VPS after a couple days, I'll let you guys know to see if you're still interested.

@jhadley said: @fly please go into more detail about the Arch template - what is wrong with it?

I'm presuming that it ins't following 'the arch way', whereby everything's minimal and hipster and stuff, the OnApp templates tend to load up unnecessary things.

I'm not too experienced with Arch, but I'll have a go at rolling out a minimal template. :)

• flyfly Member

no.

they commented out package signing, which is obviously a very big no no, among other things. I can make a walkthrough of what you need to go from a 2011 netinstall cd to a fully working arch template.

• @fly said: they commented out package signing, which is obviously a very big no no, among other things. I can make a walkthrough of what you need to go from a 2011 netinstall cd to a fully working arch template.

Yeah that kinda sucks.

That'd be awesome, I'll try and work on a few templates today.

• vahevahe Member

@jhadley @ElliotJ

Looks like the OnApp bug is not resolved yet, I'm having the same problem as @eastonch.

Anyway, here is some feedback on the usability of the CP.

1) The login button on the top right is visible even when user is logged in. Don't show it or change to logout, when the user is logged in.

2) I hate how the "Virtual Machine Details" page refreshes automatically. First of all, the delay between refreshes is really short, thus annoying. Instead, I'd recommend using an ajax request every x seconds to update the status.

3) The elements on "Overview | CPU Usage | IP Addresses | Disks | Backups" pages seem to be too cluttered. Some spacing between the above links and the paragraph below would be nice, and maybe a min-height for the whmcs pages.

4) "Order new services" page (under "Services" menu) only says "(Choose Another Category)". Makes no sense.

I think that's it for now. I'll provide some more feedback on the vps once it's active...

• flyfly Member

@elliotj hit me up when you wanna chat on irc

• I just tested the io :

# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.00514 s, 535 MB/s

535 MB/s

Almost similar with my Prometeus VZ3

• cnzhhicnzhhi Member

May be the CPU is a little poor, I advice two core at least. In fact, I have never been tried onApp, could I have a try?

• It appears that WHCMS canceled my VPS, its status at the moment is "terminated".

I received two emails about payment and after that it was terminated.

Will wait for a follow up.

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2012

@thekreek were you using the server? Elliot is deleting unused servers from the trial.