Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lets give back something.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

lets give back something.

TazTaz Member
edited July 2012 in General

This has been discussed a lot of time here.
But seriously, it is time to leave hypervm and proxmox and start a better alternative.
@Frcorey @miTgiB and many other mentioned before. @subigo started once but unfortunately got sold. We have seen many people with bug talks and designs but nothing ever came out.

Lets start a community driven vps panel. A modular based one maybe? So every one can contribute just what they know. Not limited to ovz but kvm and Zen and what not!

I am willing to throw out test nodes and domain and such. I know a lot of folks here would help with funding and rest. We have a lot of good coders here. Come on guys! I know you guys can come together and throw something.

Cutting cost on panel is another way to save money and offer better LEB for the $$.

Lets see who we got here! Lets do it!

Thanked by 1Amfy

Comments

• I swear, you have some seriously random topics.

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

I'll help out on some of the designs if needed :P (although nowadays you can get a good CSS coder to take care of it)

I swear, you have some seriously random topics.

Inception

• TazTaz Member

@thehackbox that's me!
    @pie coding can stay minimal! BOOTSTRAP!

• @NinjaHawk said: BOOTSTRAP!

Bootstrap my buttux! Bootstrap still needs a designer D:

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Bootstrap my buttux!

hahaha :))

• TazTaz Member

@halfeatenpie Lllllooool.

• @NanoG6 & @NinjaHawk: Don't hate. Ya'll just jelly.

• TazTaz Member

I am not jelly! I am peanut butter!

Any how back to topic, do we have anyone?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

yea you're just pie.

• Why not join joepie91's project?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • The problem is money and commitment. I don't want to take on the behemoth task of creating a panel, and organizing other developers just for pocket change.
    I don't want to be rude about it, but there has to be mutual benefit.

Your best bet if you're 100% serious is to collectively hire 1 or 2 programmers. Have them code the base platform/code.
    After the base code is completed, open source it and everyone else can add in modules.

• I like what Telephone's saying. I'd suggest we put someone who is trusted by the community to hold onto the money.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Panel is a huge project. You need committed developers.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@joepie91's project looks really nice and it's open source. The code is readily available for anybody who wants to contribute.

• @KuJoe said: @joepie91's project looks really nice and it's open source. The code is readily available for anybody who wants to contribute.

LINK MEH!

• antivenantiven Member
    edited July 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: LINK MEH!

cvm.cryto.net

• TazTaz Member

@telephone while I agree with you, the only issue that comes with hiring dev is, once they gets paid delivers what they were supposed to, they will disappear. And we all know that working with some ones code is a pain without them being there.
    I really do not know about Joe's project. Can any one link? And tbh we already have a lot of OS panel available but what is lacking is the active developmenent While I can throw 5k tonight to get a panel done, I barely doubt we will have a active dev team. While being community driven and moduler means, anyone can contribute and people are active ( specially the original dev team).

• subigosubigo Member

I didn't want to say anything yet, but after zensix is officially sold, I'll be getting the BoxCtrl name back. I already have some plans that include it, but I can't say much yet.

• TazTaz Member

@subigo if you need any help, I will try my level best!

• @subigo: you have my support if you need anything.

• PatsPats Member

@subigo count me in too...

guys, instead of re-inventing from scratch, can't we take the existing code of say Proxmox (Proxmox cuz its quite solid IMO) and add the features/stuff missing...

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Pats said: existing code of say Proxmox

No, it is too tightly intertwined with the OS

• @telephone said: Your best bet if you're 100% serious is to collectively hire 1 or 2 programmers. Have them code the base platform/code.

After the base code is completed, open source it and everyone else can add in modules.

We are actually doing that exact thing right now. We will be releasing our code under GPLv3, when it's ready.

• TazTaz Member

@Pats the way proxmox works (hardcore tie with OS) freaks me and I would say a lot of people out.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

On the note of CVM, I'm currently dealing with a personal situation, I expect to resume development in approximately 2-3 weeks.

• PatsPats Member

i thought of downloading the source cvm.cryto.net and going thru it to understand... thre's no link to download like github etc.? or i'm missing s'where..

• PatsPats Member

umm... where got the download link? (all files zipped like github etc.)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2012

There's no zip download link yet (that feature is broken in Trac for Git repositories, I'm planning on moving to another project management platform soon), but you can simply use Git and do git clone http://git.cryto.net/repo/cvm, and you will clone the repository.

EDIT: For clarification, Trac was originally designed for Subversion repositories; they have a different structure and inner working, and it seems the developers of the Git plugin didn't change around the downloading feature to actually work properly for Git repositories.

• @joepie91 said: There's no zip download link yet (that feature is broken in Trac for Git repositories, I'm planning on moving to another project management platform soon),

Indefero? :)

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie