Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My First Ever Wordpress Integration- Feedback Please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My First Ever Wordpress Integration- Feedback Please

TazTaz Member
edited July 2012 in General

I like this community a helluava lot more than those spammy webmaster communities. As most of the feedback and reviews that I have received here were helpful and I have either implemented them or still doing it.
So please, post any constructive feedback.
https://blog.ninjahawk.net/

Also if you have any optimization suggestion/edit, please let me know.
Thanks.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't know if it's just on the iPad but the width on the right side seems way too small, causing overlaps and awkward line breaks. Figure in the side bar and content is fitting about 1/4 of the screen for me.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Looks good on full hd, must be caused by running it on the ipad.

• TazTaz Member

@jarland portrait or landscape mode?

edited July 2012

@NinjaHawk Landscape. Usually iPad is pretty good about Wordpress, I've not seen it do that before. In Safari the blog title area (grey bar) is black. The rest was actually first noted in Chrome on iPad but Safari holds the same + the black title bar. It's just iPad, obviously, not a huge deal. On the iMac it seems fine in Safari & Firefox (don't have Chrome installed).

Also it keeps forcing https which is annoying on Chrome or Firefox, but not a design issue. Otherwise looks good.

• Looks good from here :)

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

@jarland mobile is the new PC. so ya, I need to get back to it. (murphy waiting to strike)
    Regarding SSL, why would that be annoying? Do you get a popup warning?

@NinjaHawk Chrome and Firefox, by default, force me to authorize it while repeatedly warning me that it is unsafe. If I didn't have a good reason to view it, that would probably just cause me to hit the back button.

• TazTaz Member

@jarland hmm that is strange. Do you notice any error when you visit https://ninjahawk.net/

Nope, that one recognizes the signature. And now so does the blog. Bug on my end or you fixed it.

• TazTaz Member

did not do a thing. Hmm, Spooky error.

I'm tethering 3G, I tend to forget that has a way of making the most random things not work as intended.

• TazTaz Member

Happen to be on a t-mobile network?

AT&T, and not just that, I'm in the middle of no where. Population 1600...

• @NinjaHawk said: Happen to be on a t-mobile network?

Tested this whilst tethering on T-Mobile UK, no SSL errors for me in either FireFox or Chrome... oh, and on my normal connection.

The integration looks like it's been done cleanly, however I'm not too big of the theme in any case.

• TazTaz Member

@jarland said: Population 1600

jeezus, my block has more people than that :P

@ElliotJ said: The integration looks like it's been done cleanly, however I'm not too big of the theme in any case.

Thanks. Still cutting and removing unnecessary files and styles. Might take longer then expected.

After this is done, will need to look for a forum script. Not sure how to integrate any of those.

• Looks good, the right side looks a little under-loved.

• TazTaz Member

@eastonch said: Looks good, the right side looks a little under-loved.

Will probably theme it up with nice border and background color.

• Hm it looks nice, pretty well integrated into your main site.

One thing though is that the CSS totally breaks when I click on a blog entry. I don't know if this is happening to anyone else or if its just my browser's stupidity but yeah just double check to make sure that isn't the case.

• TazTaz Member

@halfeatenpie murphy gets mad when ever I switch the pretty urls (permalinks).

• I don't want to be too negative against your hard work, by why integrate your blog?
    In all honesty it looks pretty ugly being integrated with the sidebar (blog-wise).

To save a lot of hard work, you could just have the blog on its own. Use the same theme and have the hawk in the right corner. (Most websites tend to have their blog separate, and it tends to look better that way).

• TazTaz Member

@halfeatenpie fixed em. Thanks.

@telephone, thank you for your comment. Right hand side sidebar will get a custom look pretty soon. There is a reason we integrate something, so when users browse, they don't feel like they left the original site. Which gives a better feeling. TBH, sometimes, it frustrates me a bit when I go to some ones blog and it doesn't have a link that takes me back to the original site and the blog looks completely different.
    Better user experience.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • PhilNDPhilND Member

Eh, the whole left side ruins it for me... The nav and the text withoit it would look much better imo! Did you try see what it looks like with a different nav/removed?

• TazTaz Member

@PhilND said: Eh, the whole left side ruins it for me... The nav and the text withoit it would look much better imo! Did you try see what it looks like with a different nav/removed?

Are you talking about the left sidebar with menu?

• PhilNDPhilND Member

Yea, sorry about the crappy reply i was on my phone :p

Other than the menu... Its awesome!

• Looks very tidy, I love what you've done there. The website looks very unique too.

• Landscape mode on iPad looks really weird because the content box space is small? Hmm

• TazTaz Member

It has something to do with the fluid theme. I will probably make it mobile friendly using wp. would take out that funny squishy look.