Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US Hosts Owners - Insurance on your Gear
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

US Hosts Owners - Insurance on your Gear

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited July 2012 in General

Since my new datacenter required us to have liability insurance which was pretty cheap with liberty mutual, but they said the server insurance would be more difficult to figure out. What providers do you know of that would insure servers and what are the general costs you're seeing for this.

Comments

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited July 2012

Not just US hosts Any host that owns there own equipment should have some kind of insurance for it. its completely stupid if they dont

• All depends on how much gear you have, when you have more gear that you could easily replace with the money you have, then it's time to get insurance.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited July 2012

Probably

Cost per server
    +
    Cost per server to maintain

• Income from server
      x12
  • qenoxqenox Member
    edited July 2012

http://rpsins.com/

We've been going through them for years now; no hassle. Servers/IT equipment are insured based on replacement cost. Our coverage is with the Hartford and Great American.

• DamianDamian Member

Our stuff's insured through http://usli.com

• Got a 1 million liability policy, 50k server coverage, and a few other addons for 500 a year through the hartford. Through techinsurance.com

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

Does your DC require 1Mil in liability?

• Yes, it appears to be pretty standard. If you have them rack your servers and it falls on their foot they can sue you. If you accidentally nock a laptop of theirs or trip over a cable causing an outage they can sue you. 500 a year is not a lot and it came with disaster insurance and coverage etc as well.

• @HC_Ro said: Does your DC require 1Mil in liability?

Most do.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

I know it is required, I was asking about the amount specifically.

• Here's the coverage I was quoted @ 500yr. Insurance backed by the Hartford.

Liability Coverage: Bodily Injury and Property Damage
    $ 1,000,000

• General Liability per Occurrence
      $ 2,000,000

• General Liability Annual Aggregate
      $ 1,000,000

• Personal & Advertising Injury per Occurrence
      $ 2,000,000

• Products Completed Operations Aggregate
      $ 1,000,000

• Damage to Premises Rented to you
      $ 10,000

• Medical
      Property Coverage: Your Property and Your Client's Property in Your Possession
      $250

• Property Claim Deductible
      Address Removed
      $10,000

• Business Property (Including Computers & Media)
      $50,000

• Business Computers & Media *
      $5,000

• Laptop Computer - World-Wide
      *You have requested $10,000 in computer coverage. A package endorsement has been added to provide this coverage for the optimal price/value. To see a summary of all property coverage, including computers and media, visit (http://www.techinsurance.com/quote/coverages/TECHX.pdf)
      Address removed
      $10,000

• Business Property (Including Computers & Media)
      $50,000

• Business Computers & Media *
      $5,000

• Laptop Computer - World-Wide
      *You have requested $30,000 in computer coverage. A package endorsement has been added to provide this coverage for the optimal price/value. To see a summary of all property coverage, including computers and media, visit (http://www.techinsurance.com/quote/coverages/TECHX.pdf)

• JacobJacob Member

Jeesh, It's not like that over here.

• PADPAD Member

@Jacob

USA & 'sue the s%#* out of you' go hand in hand

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

Its liability insurance not full coverage, cheap cheap. I pay like 8$/m for my motorcycle liability.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@FRCorey

I went through their quote process to compare rates and I got the same quote.

A day later they emailed me and said they could not cover because we have adult content hosted.. lol