Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Not so )interesting (but pure BS) idea - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(Not so )interesting (but pure BS) idea

2»

Comments

• You have a lot of question! Wish my customers where that studious. If you want me to explain in more detail why I chose for this system send an email to sales as I am currently short in time.

@NinjaHawk said: You do not need a vps to control that. Iptables can take of mass emailing. If you have ever used Cpanel, this feature is actually built in (limit hourly email), if another panel, use strong firewall rules, block port 25 , suspend the client or simply disable mailin ability.

Edit: What makes you think that ovz won't get hacked and send spam? (Unless you have throttled mailing via iptables.

It is a matter of the right place to implement security matters. OVZ solves a lot of security problems in one because it's done on the proper level for sharing a server - the kernel. Of course you can use iptables, suphp, mod_security, open_basedir, safe_mode, and so on as well, but this is more likely to fail than strict kernel-level isolation. Using strict firewall rules also limits the capabilities of your customers, which I don't like.

@NinjaHawk said: But what stops a user from installing own server, mail server and more?

Nothing, they are allowed to. But it is recommended to use the shared servers since that saves them a lot of RAM.

• lennartacklennartack Member
    edited July 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: is there actually anywhere an explanation of what your site is supposed to do and how its supposed to work?

I agree we provide little information at the moment. We are working on better explanations in a FAQ and hope to learn more about how to do that from discussions like this one.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@lennartack
    The SSH does not seem to be working, as the server rejects my connections. Also I have requested a root upgrade at the support email, as you suggested somewhere in this thread.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

I cant figure out what this is, I dont see anything inventive or new.

In a nut shell, are you just enabling a jailed SSH? and for premium your giving away a VPS for every hosting account?

• @LiquidHost you were probably connecting to the wrong address, check your inbox.

• subigosubigo Member

Actually, if done correctly, this is exactly what OpenVZ was supposed to be used for... just sayin'.

• TazTaz Member

@gsrdgrdghd
    Thread title changed, Well to be honest, when i first read this, I thought it was something unique. Now when I read this again, It is nothing unique. All you get is small ovz vps with free sql and dns hosting(?). Nothing interesting, nothing new.

Reason for my hate,
    I have learned a lot of tricks regarding how to handle shared hosting servers, client and user. I have 0 negative feedback from more than 20k+ users that were hosted with my old company. All those limit/positive thing noted by the provider in question can be done on a shared hosting level with an ease. I know many would agree on that. To me this sounds like a (no-offense if you are not@provider) lazy shared hosting provider who doesn't want to deal with server optimization, security and rest. What he is doing here is nothing close to shared hosting. This is not what shared hosting client should do (note: 80% or more shared hosting clients are either webmaster or average guy next door, who have no idea about linu, never heard of iptables, apache, bash scripts and other fancy words. All they care about is having and mainting a website that "works".)
    This is false advertising and nothing else. Why not simply provide VPS hosting with free sql hosting? This is not a vps nor a shared hosting. This like halfeaten leftover pie from a strangers plate. Neither you want to throw it away nor you want to use it.

Appears to have plenty of access and you are placed on a 256MB ram vm...

What worries me, however is this: http://i.imgur.com/AX372.png

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@NinjaHawk said: What he is doing here is nothing close to shared hosting.

Actually it sounds like he is doing all of what you and I both assumed he wasn't, because it looks like we both had the same impression. What it looks like he is doing is providing shared hosting and a sandbox to sit next to it for some unknown reason.

Thanked by 1Taz

@LiquidHost said: What worries me, however is this: http://i.imgur.com/AX372.png

France? ;)

• TazTaz Member

@LiquidHost, can you install Apache PLEASE!!!

• AmitzAmitz Member

No... Not a Kimsufi Celeron?

• Hehe, should have put you on a newer node. Anyways, we provide low-cost hosting, that's what it is. What @NinjaHawk calls lazy I would call cost saving.

@NinjaHawk, sorry if the wording has misled you. We could not find any host with the same setup, so we used the word unique. I think our setup really solves a lot of issues with shared hosting and is an advantage for the customer and most system administrator I spoke with agree with that, but I understand you like the traditional way better.

This is really my last post, feel free to tear apart al that's left ;).

@NinjaHawk said: can you install Apache PLEASE!!!

Celeron will timeout during installation.

• Mods, give him his 15 points. Oh sorry i forgot im on LET now.

Thanked by 1jar
  • TazTaz Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: Mods, give him his 15 points. Oh sorry i forgot im on LET now.

15 for provider bashing with out using+ 10 for being rude +5 for not useful post. 30=I am banned lol.

@GetKVM_Ash said: Mods, give him his 15 points. Oh sorry i forgot im on LET now.

Dont tempt the fate.. The next time you are going to get banned not just 15 points...

/jk