Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS, are they good? and can they handle my requirements? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS, are they good? and can they handle my requirements?

2»

Comments

• @HalfEatenPie said: I haven't had any issues like that before.

You mean extra 2X memory allocation with the SAME host, or different one?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited July 2012

Having burst is not relevant for me, so CVPS only sells guaranteed ram is ok. Because you wouldn't want to leave your server eating beyond guaranteed, as there is no guarantee that burst is available. i.e. i only want to work within guaranteed.

@rev3rse said: Anyway, I think 128MB is not a valid option anymore, since my in reality i only have 64MB, which is too low for such a website.

I have 4 blogs and 1 forum with light traffic. and it is under 128mb all the time. plan is OVZ.

• rev3rserev3rse Member
    edited July 2012

@jcaleb said: Having burst is not relevant for me, so CVPS only sells guaranteed ram is ok. Because you wouldn't want to leave your server eating beyond guaranteed, as there is no guarantee that burst is available. i.e. i only want to work within guaranteed.

Agree with you, working within guaranteed only isn't a bad thing.

@jcaleb said: I have 4 blogs and 1 forum with light traffic. and it is under 128mb all the time. plan is OVZ.

Interesting, I got few questions, if you don't mind at all.

1. are you using ChicagoVPS? since other hosts might use different setting.
    2. how many users you can handle at peak moments for total websites?
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@rev3rse said: are you using ChicagoVPS? since other hosts might use different setting.

Even if they are using different settings, OVZ is still OVZ. I'd say jcaleb probably has a pretty minimal approach to it and doesn't let a single mb of memory go to waste.

• azizmbazizmb Member

@rev3rse said: Well, after doing some lil Googling, I guess you're running some kind of IRC. Maybe that's why you're using too much RAM.

Also, how many users you're getting at peak moments? If you don't mind.

And thanks for sharing your experience!

My sites aren't the busiest. Usually around 1,000 a day but I've had 20k views on some days when there's big news.

Only iRC software at the moment is ZNC (iRC Bouncer which hosts 5 users) and Eggdrop.

• @azizmb said: My sites aren't the busiest. Usually around 1,000 a day but I've had 20k views on some days when there's big news.

Only iRC software at the moment is ZNC (iRC Bouncer which hosts 5 users) and Eggdrop.

Thanks for sharing. Have you done any performance tuning?
    besides, can you please tell me how many users you're handling at peak times?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited July 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: Even if they are using different settings, OVZ is still OVZ. I'd say jcaleb probably has a pretty minimal approach to it and doesn't let a single mb of memory go to waste.

@rev3rse Yes, use any script around here, pick your choice (original LEA script, tuxlite, minstall), and should be fine on 128mb.

I say if you have some $$$ just pick a higher memory vps and save on peace of mind and lots of your questions. there are so many good offers nowadays.

Also, communicate directly with providers that you shortlisted that you like. Many providers are very accomodating and kind. Assuming that you are not an abuser.

• yomeroyomero Member

/s/dedicated/guaranteed/

And still isn't the right word...

• rev3rserev3rse Member
    edited July 2012

Hmm.. I think I'll just get more than 128MB, will OpenVZ 192MB/ 192MB vSwap from iperWeb do the job? any good news about them?

Really appreciate your help/suggestions, it was useful!

edited July 2012

Prometeus owns iperWeb, and knowing Prometeus I'm sure you'll get great uptime and service with them. Just know that CVPS is in Chicago, Illinois and Buffalo, New York while iperWeb and Prometeus is in Italy.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@rev3rse said: Hmm.. I think I'll just get more than 128MB, will OpenVZ 192MB/ 192MB vSwap from iperWeb do the job? any good news about them?

192mb with vswap is already good amount of memory for webhosting.

I think some providers here hosts their site on iperweb. and also they are on top 3 in last poll.

• @jcaleb said: I think some providers here hosts their site on iperweb.

GetKVM for one :P

• happelhappel Member

@HalfEatenPie said: iperWeb owns Prometeus

I guess it's the other way around ;-)
    !(http://iperweb.com/site/images/logo.png)

edited July 2012

What? I said Prometeus owns iperWeb! What are you talking about?

Edit: Crud, you quoted me! You baboon! You've foiled me once again!

• happelhappel Member

:P

• LAKidLAKid Member

Prometeus IS the BEST provider out there, bar none.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@LAKid said: Prometeus IS the BEST provider out there, bar none.

Agreed :)
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Most people here have addiction to LEBs, but I believe many of those have addiction to iperweb in particular =)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

thanks for the appreciation :-)

Disclaimer:
    Our vps came with a pinch of sun, sea and Italian fun and can cause addiction, drunkenness and other unknown side effects.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
    edited July 2012

Our vps came with a pinch of sun, sea and Italian fun and can cause addiction, drunkenness and other unknown side effects.

I wish I was in Italy :(

• rev3rserev3rse Member
    edited July 2012

Thanks guys for the recommendations , actually iperWeb has much better ping for my targeted visitors (80 ping vs 200 ping) guess they're the solution.
    Thanks again, for being helpful for such a noob :P