Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Configure-it-yourself VPS plans - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Configure-it-yourself VPS plans

Comments

• TazTaz Member
    edited July 2012

Can we get negative pricing :P

• blackblack Member

$0.58? Do want.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Damian said: Need to figure out how to do configurable options for less-than-1-cent per each.

I would not suggest allowing orders <1$ to pass. Simpply there will be a couple of cents left for you after taxes get paid.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

I've got a support ticket in with WHMCS. I expect to hear from them sometime next never.

@black said: $0.58? Do want.

We sell the same thing for $0.50/month.

@NinjaHawk said: Can we get negative pricing :P

Sure, but it'll be negative service :P

• DamianDamian Member

@LiquidHost said: I would not suggest allowing orders <1$ to pass. Simpply there will be a couple of cents left for you after taxes get paid.

That's another good point for manual activation: being able to mandate a minimum transaction, and then for orders that are less than $1, incrementing the payment interval for quarterly or more.

• blackblack Member

@Damian
    Order link?

• Sounds like fun @Damian!
    Still curious how you will pull this off though :]

• DamianDamian Member

@black said: Order link?

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3384/ipxcore-32mb-openvz-vps-for-50-cents-per-month

@eastonch said: Still curious how you will pull this off though :]

WHMCS is the one giving me grief now. If I can get it licked, then we'll be able to open it up for beta testing.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2012

I have opened a ticket at that guys selling the configurable options addon that I linked above. Appears it is not really usefull, as the scroller would not work for automatic provisioning (as already mentioned) and the drop-down menu seems ugly. It is easy to confgiure, though. Atleast from the SS I got. It might save you some time if you deside to check them out

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited July 2012

How is it going to work if someone wants like 500gb storage and 128 mb ram? Wouldn't that node bring in a lower average profit? I can't see this being profitable in the traditional VPS format.

Anyhow, I think WHMCS allows the creation of custom solus packages independently with their latest module. I know for sure it allows 1 package to be upgraded however you want.

So have one package and have upgrade able RAM, HDD, CPU, Bandwidth and IPv4/IPv6.

(LOL) Like solus support will say refer to this article http://wiki.solusvm.com/index.php/WHMCS_Module_v3#Version_3.2_Stable_.282011.2F12.2F08.29

• @BassHost ; Another reason for manual processing, they can see oh look, we have a node that has xTB left, and xGB ram left, we have this one order for that amount, we can do it by doing this.. and this...

I assume @Damian will be eventually getting a "storage" node; just for "Storage VPS's" like @Francisco has with BuyVM.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@eastonch said: I assume @Damian will be eventually getting a "storage" node; just for "Storage VPS's" like @Francisco has with BuyVM.

BuyVM, bringing you features everyone will copy and claim they innovated it months in advance.

See: SSD caches

Francisco

• @Francisco Hmm?

It's not something you've got "unique" by having a node just for storage VPS's, just marketing it differently.

• subigosubigo Member

@Francisco said: BuyVM, bringing you features everyone will copy and claim they innovated it months in advance.

See: SSD caches

lolwhat?

• KairusKairus Member

@Francisco said: BuyVM, bringing you features everyone will copy and claim they innovated it months in advance.

BuyVM: shoving their heads up their own asses.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • DamianDamian Member

@BassHost said: How is it going to work if someone wants like 500gb storage and 128 mb ram? Wouldn't that node bring in a lower average profit? I can't see this being profitable in the traditional VPS format.

It'll work because I will be able to better keep track of what's actually sold. Right now, the only thing that gets 100% resource utilization are the 32mb plans. People buy our larger plans, but don't use all of the resources. So can I sell the resources they're not using? What if they start using them? Then what? If I can sell custom plans that people purchase exactly what they want with the expectation(?) that they use all of what they purchase, it'll be MUCH easier for me to anticipate resource usage and buy/build new servers.

@eastonch said: I assume @Damian will be eventually getting a "storage" node

We've already got plenty of unutilized space on our nodes; no need for specialized storage nodes. (yet)

@Kairus said: BuyVM: shoving their heads up their own asses.

Not helpful, be kind to your fellow human beings :)

• SatelliteSatellite Member
    edited July 2012

@damian It's probably not worth it to have customizability to the extent that people can select their plan down to the single digit MB. Go with 16mb or even 32mb.

Expand:

The only person I see making any claims is you. You're far from the first to use SSD caching, nice try. And claiming you're the first person to think about backing up to VPSes is just laughable.

Get over yourself, TIA.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Damian how much is storage per GB per month? I think hostigation is around 4 cents

• namename Member

@Satellite said: It's probably not worth it to have customizability to the extent that people can select their plan down to the single digit MB. Go with 16mb or even 32mb.

I agree, If it takes too much time tweaking whmcs and solusvm why not do it simple.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@name said: I agree, If it takes too much time tweaking whmcs and solusvm why not do it simple.

+1

• For the 32mb vps might be good if you can make minimum payment to your account eg $5 which act as credit to reduce paypal fee eat 1\4 of fee

• yomeroyomero Member

@hayhayday said: For the 32mb vps might be good if you can make minimum payment to your account eg $5 which act as credit to reduce paypal fee eat 1\4 of fee

100% Agree. I've tried to prepay some money to your site to forget about billing stuff a couple of months without success u_u

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@yomero said: 100% Agree. I've tried to prepay some money to your site to forget about billing stuff a couple of months without success u_u

I think @Damian is using paypal micro payment to handle small recurring....

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I still think a minimal plan with upgradeable options is better than really starting from 0.
    At least will make sure there will be a SSH working, to begin with. As ppl say that will also be more compatible with the panel.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Does it have worth if burst ram can also be configured? Or should be always double?

E.g. for git repos, 32mb is much more than enough. But sometimes when I need to run "git gc" i need around 256mb.

• DamianDamian Member

FWIW, I still like the concept of manual provisioning. Then I can ensure that we're not filling our servers "lopsided"...

@jcaleb said: how much is storage per GB per month? I think hostigation is around 4 cents

Our price is near the same. Right now it's set to 3 cents, but may bump it up to 4 or 5.

@yomero said: 100% Agree. I've tried to prepay some money to your site to forget about billing stuff a couple of months without success u_u

We got burned by the concept of "credit" in WHMCS in our early days. I was thinking about turning it back on but only accepting lke $20 at most.

@prometeus said: I think @Damian is using paypal micro payment to handle small recurring....

Yes. The break-even point for micropayment fees vs regular fees is $12, and most of our sales are less than $12. For the ones that are above $12, it's actually cheaper to eat the slightly-additional fees than to have regular fees for all sales.

@jcaleb said: Does it have worth if burst ram can also be configured? Or should be always double?

As it sits right now, burst ram is x2 guaranteed ram. As you mentioned, i'm not sure if there's any value to having it configurable. Anyone else have input on this?

• u4iau4ia Member

@Damian said: Anyone else have input on this?

Maybe a selector where you can choose the normal 2x RAM, or choose 4x RAM if you know ahead of time you will need it from time to time.

• u4iau4ia Member

@Damian said: FWIW, I still like the concept of manual provisioning. Then I can ensure that we're not filling our servers "lopsided"

I think that is a good idea.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@u4ia said: @Damian said: FWIW, I still like the concept of manual provisioning. Then I can ensure that we're not filling our servers "lopsided"

I think that is a good idea.

Me too, as long as you have the time.

Regarding burst, well, 2x regular should be ok, I think it would be too much to ask configurable parameter there, after all, it wont be such a problem to get 64 ram if you really need more. Even I afford a few more cents to have a worry less.
    M

• DamianDamian Member

Anyone know how to adjust the step of WHMCS sliders to a specific interval instead of 1?

@Maounique said: Me too, as long as you have the time.

After the initial run of "ooh cool new toy!" I don't really expect to get that many custom orders. If it does end up being extremely popular, then we'll revisit the issue.

@Maounique said: Regarding burst, well, 2x regular should be ok, I think it would be too much to ask configurable parameter there, after all, it wont be such a problem to get 64 ram if you really need more.

Since it'll probably just end up being another field, it can be configurable.