Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers, what got you started?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers, what got you started?

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited July 2012 in General

Genuinely curious to hear the stories. As a low end provider, what made you want to start doing this? Money? Enjoyment? If you had to sum up the first month of your business, what would you say about it?

Curious what kind of stories this brings about ;)

Comments

• Experience around this industry. And especially since HostRail failed.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Maybe you should create Users

?

what made you not start a company?

I did :)

• IntcsIntcs Member

I was running a small shared hosting years ago without WHMCS, but when I thought of starting hosting business providing VPS, I've then did a VPS company virtually :p means just ideas, but for some reason I didn't proceed. Even though VPS is more interesting IMO than dedicated servers.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

I havent started a business because I hate to be responsible in front of my customers and be so dependent on other ppl's services.
    It would be too hard for me to let anyone down, let alone ppl that pay me, I provide for free now and still have a big problem with myself when ppl call me to say it is down...
    M

• Enjoyment mostly. I have an obsession with servers so I said, "why not". The first month was a little rough, I mostly got frustrated because I only got about 4 signups during the first month. On the first month, I was only offering shared cPanel hosting. Money wasn't an issue as I had $500 to begin with for this project.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

winning.

Thanked by 2Surge jar
  • luke_hluke_h Member

Enjoyment is the main thing for me ;P I've tried looking all over to find what I enjoy doing, I used to flip burgers, and hated it, met someone with the same passion and now I work under him.

• DamianDamian Member

Got tired of BurstNET sucking horribly, we figured we could do better. And we do.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Got tired of BurstNET sucking horribly, we figured we could do better. And we do.

That's kind of how we felt about GoDaddy. It wasn't until after we started making plans that I learned of the existence of sites like WHT and LET.

• @Maounique said: I havent started a business because I hate to be responsible in front of my customers and be so dependent on other ppl's services.

This. I like playing around with Linux but i don't like having to answer to idiots so i just give stuff away for free.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

Well the insanity finally drove me to it... that plus I like supporting cool projects :)

• CoreyCorey Member

@Damian said: Got tired of BurstNET sucking horribly, we figured we could do better. And we do.

As did we :)

• @Damian BurstNET? Did you colo with them?

• DamianDamian Member

@Jeffrey said: Did you colo with them?

No, we VPS'd with them, when we did only shared hosting.

• @Damian, oh really? I have been with BurstNET now for many months and so far so good. What exactly made you want to leave them? We are currently expanding into other datacenters.

• @jeffrey are you with VD or Burst? VD Doesnt check their invoices for VPS's often... I had a VPS for 4 months without paying... Then they detected some high network load, suspended me :P

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I do it for the chicks. :P

Thanked by 1jar
  • AsadAsad Member

@Nick_A How's that working out for ya?

:P I'm already married.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I enjoy it. Plain and simple. If I wasn't running SD then I'd be running a free shared hosting company.

• @Nick_A said: I do it for the chicks. :P

And he's still got it.

Bow chica bow wow.

Also, @Nick_A I bought one on July 5th and I still haven't touched it yet. I need to get to it haha.

@HalfEatenPie said: Also, @Nick_A I bought one on July 5th and I still haven't touched it yet. I need to get to it haha.

For real!