Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gridspot - Free Ubuntu instances...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gridspot - Free Ubuntu instances...

subigosubigo Member
edited July 2012 in General

...for now anyway. I've been using it all night and never had to give a credit card:

https://gridspot.com

Pretty interesting idea.

Comments

• why it asking me to download something?

• @DanielM: I think you want this: https://gridspot.com/compute/

Although looking at that I wouldn't say "Free"

• subigosubigo Member

@DanielM said: why it asking me to download something?

No, that's the software that people use to create the system, you don't download it. Think SETI. You'll want to create an account, setup a key pair, and then create your bid. Within a few minutes, instances will show up and you can ssh in.

• subigosubigo Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Although looking at that I wouldn't say "Free"

Again, it's free for you if you create an instance. There is no requirement to run their software and contribute to the network.

• subigosubigo Member
    edited July 2012

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hum, that is really interesting :o
    M

• hienhien Member

Which 's virtualization tech they're using ? Maybe VirtualBox ? 0_0

• not bad. But network is very slow :|

• hienhien Member
    edited July 2012

@DanielM said: not bad. But network is very slow :|

Maxium speed is 8000kbps. Choose your speed when create bid.

Thanked by 1DanielM
  • dnomdnom Member

@subigo can you run geekbench for -me- us?

• Our users volunteer their idle compute resources because they want to be part of something valuable to the world. We believe that this is a motivator far more powerful than paying people a small amount of money every month.

For a for-profit company? Yea, right.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited July 2012

So they have probably installed hidden software on peoples computers, and are using all that to run the VPSs?

Sounds like a rent-a-botnet.

• subigosubigo Member

@dnom said: @subigo can you run geekbench for -me- us?

That's kind of pointless, since each new instance is going to have different specs.

@antiven said: For a for-profit company? Yea, right.

Yes, but the concept is cool. I was waiting for something like this for a long time.
    When I will have some time (damn... when will that be :P) I will look into it, maybe there will be and OS project soon.
    M

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

what can you do with this? no root access.

• Do calculations that require much CPU usage.

• You have root, NanoG6.

Largely useless though, no ports are forwarded.

• root@inst-xV9zAwgaK-F-TayCQnDI0Q:~# lspci 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02) 00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II] 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter 00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02) 00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Guest Service 00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08) 00:0d.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)

They use VirtualBox.

• subigosubigo Member

@NanoG6 said: what can you do with this? no root access.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Do calculations that require much CPU usage.

What @gsrdgrdghd said. Maybe I shouldn't have posted it on LET, because people are going to compare it to a regular VPS, when that's not what this is for at all. You're not going to create one instance and host a website on it... you're going to create thousands and use all of that processing power for multiple things.

• @Maounique said: Yes, but the concept is cool. I was waiting for something like this for a long time.

When I will have some time (damn... when will that be :P) I will look into it, maybe there will be and OS project soon.
    M

The concept has existed for a while. There used to be this other company that used to actually pay people to hand over their computer's spare resources, but that idea failed due to lack of demand (not supply).

edited July 2012

It is not long till someone will do this as a p2p app and will use Tor or something or even be self-contained, some kind of a freenet in it's own pseudo-IP space built on top of everyone's connection. A free internet using public's internet infrastructure.
    It is the next logical step, IMO.

@antiven said: The concept has existed for a while. There used to be this other company that used to actually pay people to hand over their computer's spare resources, but that idea failed due to lack of demand (not supply).

That is not what I had in mind, rather a virtual net on top of the existing one opening a whole new range of opportunities. There will probably be different implementations but they will be routed somehow to talk to each other.
    M

• Freenet already does that.

Not really. Making the computers virtualized too and floating around using random resources with secure login and all is a whole different thing.
    It wont be easy to do but it is possible and it will be done.
    M

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited July 2012

@Maounique said: A free internet using public's internet infrastructure.

If people managed to do that, it'd be awesome given it has a decent speed and security.

edited July 2012

It is theoretically possible. Perhaps it wont be at first a real cloud, i.e. resources polled together and the vms running "out there" completely, but it can be done, build a real crowdsource supercomputer and divide that in "VPS-es". It wont be fast, but good enough for hosting.
    Sure there will be abuse and all, for a while will be much less secure, but it could allow different implementations and the best one will gather pace while the others fade away. Important is to route them together, i.e. make gateways between the grids.
    M

• TaylorTaylor Member

@liam said: Mine bitcoin?

>

@Liam it wouldn't be worth it mining with CPUs I believe you have to use GPUs to make it very worth while.

• antivenantiven Member
    edited July 2012

The instances are ridiculously cheap though. I think I might try that.

• DamianDamian Member

@subigo: what's the output of ps -aux?

• subigosubigo Member
    edited July 2012

@Damian said: @subigo: what's the output of ps -aux?

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=W90Lvbir

After researching it a bit more, it looks like most of these instances are running on systems that had gridspot.exe embedded in another install. Most people probably don't even know they are hosting a VM. I've seen everything from old Celerons to i7-2600s.