Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Javascript or no Javascript, That is the Question!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Javascript or no Javascript, That is the Question!

TazTaz Member
edited July 2012 in General

Trying to figure out if I should use jacascript on my website or no. ( Got some tabs and menu bar that uses Jscript). What do you guys think?

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Is it possible to do it without javascript?

• TazTaz Member

With out javascript, It is sorta impossible to do those nice accordion tabs.

@NinjaHawk said: With out javascript, It is sorta impossible to do those nice accordion tabs.

Right, but I'm not sure requiring Javascript purely for visual purposes is acceptable... You should probably figure out some way to by default expose all content, and then modify it using Javascript afterwards. That way someone without Javascript can still view all content, and someone with Javascript support can use your accordeon tabs.

• TazTaz Member

@joepie91 said: Right, but I'm not sure requiring Javascript purely for visual purposes is acceptable... You should probably figure out some way to by default expose all content, and then modify it using Javascript afterwards. That way someone without Javascript can still view all content, and someone with Javascript support can use your accordeon tabs.

Yes this what I have done. Without Jscript, Page gets Long with all the contents in one page while with jscript, It is nice and organized. Even works on Cell phone. But Stupid IE lol.

@NinjaHawk said: Yes this what I have done. Without Jscript, Page gets Long with all the contents in one page while with jscript, It is nice and organized. Even works on Cell phone. But Stupid IE lol.

Be careful, jscript is not the same as javascript ;)

Anyhow, that is a good solution imo. No need to change anything.

As for IE, I've personally decided not to pay too much attention to it. I'd much rather explain to people why IE is bad and how they can get a real browser, than waste 50% of my time on making things work in IE. I usually build in fallbacks for everything, so my code probably works in IE to a degree, but I don't give any official support for it, nor do I test it.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@joepie91 said: As for IE, I've personally decided not to pay too much attention to it. I'd much rather explain to people why IE is bad and how they can get a real browser

Keep in mind there is a not so insignificant number of people who are forced to use IE, either because they are completely clueless (good luck explaining them how and why they should use something else), or they simply just don't have access to change it (school, work).

While you're probably not targeting group #1, #2 is not that rare.

Anyway, using javascript for visual enhancements is fine as long as your site is still functional without javascript.

• aubsaubs Member

Unfortunately, our customers (6000+ and a lot more in other organisations) at work are restricted to IE7 ! Yea, it's a joke, but an organisational requirement. Though we don't mind too much if they install Chrome.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

at work are restricted to IE7

Sample response: "I quit."

Thanked by 1djvdorp

@vedran said: either because they are completely clueless (good luck explaining them how and why they should use something else)

I actually explained the users of a site of mine what the issues with IE (7 and lower specifically) were in simple language (these were all >40 year old women that barely knew how to turn on a computer), and >50% of IE7 users upgraded to IE8. 45% of IE7 users switched to another browser altogether.

@vedran said: or they simply just don't have access to change it (school, work).

Then why is noone trying to get that changed? In all the situations I've seen and heard of where one employee/student really made an effort to convince sysadmins to set up Firefox etc., the only ones where this didn't happen were the ones where intranet applications relied on IE6/IE7 rendering. The rest were eventually switched over.

• aubsaubs Member

They were using IE6 until recently, but as M$ removed support for it, they upgraded to IE7. Don't know why they didn't go higher or remove the need for specific browser support, but it is a nationwide application so we don't have control over it. Therefore all machines have IE7.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Yes, you should use Javascript.

Five years ago, people still wrote sites with graceful fallback to non-JS browsers, etc. I personally don't think it's reasonable to do that any more. People who use browsers that don't have robust JS support in 2012 frankly deserve to see broken pages.

Thanked by 2klikli Taz
  • qjqqjq Member

Google Chrome can be installed as a normal user.

• @raindog308 said: Yes, you should use Javascript.

Five years ago, people still wrote sites with graceful fallback to non-JS browsers, etc. I personally don't think it's reasonable to do that any more. People who use browsers that don't have robust JS support in 2012 frankly deserve to see broken pages.

Eseentially I agree. Javascript is all-pervasive now.

Use javascript if it genuinely enhances your site.

But don't ever feel obliged to use it. Meaning, if you can produce a nice, useful website without it, by all means do so :)

• @sleddog said: But don't ever feel obliged to use it. Meaning, if you can produce a nice, useful website without it, by all means do so :)

** If you only need a few javascript functions, don't use a framework coupled with an "all in one" script.
    A lot of the bloat now days comes from webmasters using 3+ unminified (100KB+) scripts for simple functions.

@raindog308 said: Five years ago, people still wrote sites with graceful fallback to non-JS browsers, etc. I personally don't think it's reasonable to do that any more. People who use browsers that don't have robust JS support in 2012 frankly deserve to see broken pages.

It isn't just about support. It's also about whether it is enabled or not.

• TazTaz Member

@netmx once in a while it is nice to do something unique.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@NinjaHawk said: @netmx once in a while it is nice to do something unique.

u was joking :(

• TazTaz Member

@netomx aye what?

Tbh, ie9 does a great job with JS. Then they had to introduce that shitty a$$ Noob security Settings. Put em on high and jscript no longer works.