Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mixed Bag Update of Changes & Competitions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mixed Bag Update of Changes & Competitions

ChiefChief Member
edited July 2012 in General

Upcoming Changes, Updates & Competitions.

LEB/LET Team Updates
Liam - He has joined the team as "Community Curator" and will be running our Community Surveys, LowEndTalk Competitions and Deadpool Writeups.

Max - He will be running our VPS Reviews, we aim to release at first 1 review a week and will update LowEndBox.Com with the criteria and information needed for all hosts to submit their VPSs for review. Currently Max has released 1 brief review, with a second to follow in the next couple of days. These have been done to get some community feedback and what people would like seen and we will work towards a structure.

Writers - We have some new tools for the LEB Team shortly, which will now provide Traceroute, Wget's and Pings for every offer posted. These are done from 6 unique geographical locations to start with, when offers are sent in from providers our system will now automatically perform these tasks from multiple locations to their Test File & Test IPs. We have currently sorted out all locations except China, which is proving a little more challenging to find an affordable VPS with a connection that can burst to 1Gbit. We would also like two more writers for the front page of LowEndBox.

Test Files & Test IPs
When sending in offers you will now need to provide your own Test IP and Test File, not that of your Datacenter's. A data center may have its test files etc on a 10gbit port, however a provider may be leasing a whole rack with a single 100mbit drop to it. As also mentioned by "Satellite" there is also the other fact that the Datacenter is going to provide this over its premium blend of bandwidth transit, as where providers may be purchasing cheaper bandwidth transit and so again the Data Center's test files and IPs are not always reflective of a provider's real speed and traceroutes. We would simply appreciate you provide us with Test Files on your own nodes.

Logo Competition
The very first preview of the new websites will appear this month, I have been purposefully secretive of this ;) However this month I will be releasing some small snippets of LowEndBox, LowEndTalk, LowEndWiki and LowEndNetwork to assist in the Competition. The competition will be run on 99Designs.Com and there will be a few hundred dollars for the winner. The purpose of letting you know now is to get you thinking in advance of us posting the competition, as it will be open to everyone on LEB/LET and outside the community. Please do not post your logos in this thread, keep them to yourself until we launch the competition.

Some things to think about...
3 Main Logos: LowEndBox, LowEndTalk, LowEndWiki
These three logos need to look like a "family" whereby they appear related to each other.
We will provide you with the colour scheme for each logo at the time of the competition posting.

Logo Choice
Ultimately we will make the final decision within the team, however to get us down to those final few options we will run 3 rounds of Community Voting. Each round we will keep a selected number of top voted logos, and eliminate the rest until we get down to our final 3 choices. There we will put the vote to the team to discuss and make a final choice.

Frontend Ajax/JQuery Developer
I am looking for someone to help speed up some of the front end development, you need to be available for at least 5 hours a week and happy to do random front end tasks. Someone familiar with Code Igniter and GIT would be preferable as you will be working with myself and 2 other individuals. A fairly balanced NDA will need to be signed and you will be compensated for your time. I am looking for someone of a professional level who wants to be part of this. Send your application in to Chief@LowEndBox with your relevant experience and portfolio, if you look like a candidate i'll ask for further information.

Comments

• Looking forward to these changes! Btw, welcome back @chief! ;)

Thanked by 1rds100
  • debugdebug Member

Sounds great! Maybe a suggestion: have a SSO solution for the whole network?

• TazTaz Member

Any plan of integrating each one of these sites together?

• ChiefChief Member

I guess you will find out when we post the logo competition ;)

• @Chief said: As also mentioned by "Satellite" there is also the other fact that the Datacenter is going to provide this over its premium blend of bandwidth transit, as where providers may be purchasing cheaper bandwidth transit and so again the Data Center's test files and IPs are not always reflective of a provider's real speed and traceroutes

No, that was me :(

@Chief said: . We have currently sorted out all locations except China, which is proving a little more challenging to find an affordable VPS with a connection that can burst to 1Gbit.

Most datacenters in China don't even have 1Gbit... you know my offer :)

• @William said: you know my offer :)

Free Ice Cream for everyone?

Hey Guys! William said we each get free ice cream!

• Nice work Chief! Hopefully we get the review guidelines up soon so I can get cracking on some reviews :)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@maxexcloo said: Hopefully we get the review guidelines

Like something more in the useful dept? I really would love to see dd testing die a horrible death.

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • ChiefChief Member

@miTgiB said: Like something more in the useful dept?

Like perhaps suggesting to Max what tests you would like to see done?

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Chief said: Like perhaps suggesting to Max what tests you would like to see done?

That wouldn't be right, I could have him test what I've manipulated my nodes to excel at.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@HalfEatenPie said: Hey Guys! William said we each get free ice cream!

No more pie addiction? HalfDrippingIceCream?

Thanked by 2Liam HalfEatenPie
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: That wouldn't be right, I could have him test what I've manipulated my nodes to excel at.

well, maybe Max can open a thread to discuss test methods with all providers :-)
    Flame and derails, flame and derails, flame and derails :-)

• VictorVictor Member

Sounds great, can't wait to see all these changes. :)

• @HalfEatenPie said: Hey Guys! William said we each get free ice cream!

Sure, if you come pick it up in Graz, np.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • Can not wait Fr the updates.

• @William said: Sure, if you come pick it up in Graz, np.

Watch out, I will probably drop by to Graz someday to see you and @Expl0rer :)

Thanked by 1Liam
  • Good news. I look forward to seeing the new website(s).

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @prometeus said: No more pie addiction? HalfDrippingIceCream?

I'm getting help. I'm going to PA like everyday (Pies Anonymous)

@William said: Sure, if you come pick it up in Graz, np.

If I'm ever in the area, you owe me :P

• vedranvedran Veteran

Party @Edis in .at!

All this derailment ...

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • rds100rds100 Member

I would join the party, but it's a lot of travelling for just an ice cream :)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Are test download files really necessary in all cases? I guess I'll be the only one who even cares about this since I think I'm the only provider from a continent with the most outrageous data prices...

By the way do you have a traceroute location in Australia?

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

Glad to see the site is still evolving!

@Oliver said: By the way do you have a traceroute location in Australia?

^^ Also interested in this!
    (BTW @Oliver... Do you work at Ransom IT? If so, site appears to be down)

@BluBoy yeah it's my business. I moved all my servers into my own quarter rack tonight because they were scattered in different racks... Something with the switching didn't work right though so I had some networking issues to resolve.

It's all up again now. :-)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • ChiefChief Member

@Oliver said: I guess I'll be the only one who even cares about this since I think I'm the only provider from a continent with the most outrageous data prices...

NetOrigin and Exigent are both in Australia as well, however I think being in SA you get reamed extra delicately.

@Oliver said: By the way do you have a traceroute location in Australia?

Indeed ;)

They don't do <$7 LEBs last time I checked.

No worries :D

The NetOrigin ones were in LA and the others aren't available :p

The NetOrigin ones were in LA and the others aren't available.

Also I am active here therefore cooler ;-)

Thanked by 3Liam maxexcloo jamson
  • http://exigent.com.au/hosting/vdsl-s.php#page=account-features

The cheapest is slightly above LEB pricing.