Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Business owners/employees: Do you spend all day working? Promotion, advertising, etc?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Business owners/employees: Do you spend all day working? Promotion, advertising, etc?

edited July 2012 in General

For anyone who runs a web hosting / VPS service, I am wondering what your day consists of.
I thought It would be interesting to know: do you have side-projects? Do you work on only one aspect of your business your entire day? Spend time with your family? Etc etc.

Personally, during the summer and weeks while I do not have full time school/work, I only end up spending about 2 hours per day working on various tasks that relate to my web service business. The rest of the time, I am spending time with friends, family, or just relaxing at home. (of course answering support tickets and chatting with team members all day too). I try to schedule my day and only work between our "business hours" - this leaves from personal time for us.

How about you?

EDIT: I am trying to spend a bit more time on things as there are various areas of our business which I need to focus on and complete.

Comments

• no, we pay for this type of service. and most oursourced

• @DanielM said: we pay for this type of service

So you can just sit back and collect profit without working? Awesome - been in the LEB business for a while I bet :)

• most of the time yes. that's generally it.

• @DanielM said: that's generally it.

What business do you represent? Can't find it on your blog..

• if you look more you will find out. but i run a few. Web hosting/VPS and VPN

• @EricCubixCloud

Interesting ... ya I can confirm that :P

Well I'm a noob in all this but my time is this:

• University around 4 - 6 hours everyday
    • Home - the rest of the day (week)
    • Homework - (some at home som at unviersity)
    • PC/PS3/PSP - play any game around 2 - 3 hours
    • Party, fool around, have fun - saturday at night (after university)
    • My noob business hours using my cellphone most of the time (it doesnt matter where i am) or my laptop(university or home) just when there is a question, ticket or service order, but most of the time for general questions :S

• And yes part of the tiem talking with Kevin and Gabriel about business projects.

Thanked by 1EricCubixCloud
  • I forgot also working in some apps for windows phone and windows 8 (trying to make something like putty but in a Metro UI Style) and an app for connect, reboot, boots, shutdown a vps xD

• DamianDamian Member

I spend about 6 hours a day total on IPXcore things.

• When I was running my company, I would idle on tickets, do some promotion, answer reviews, queries on market-specific boards etc.

One week, I pulled 48 hours straight when I had to emergency migrate clients (6 hours downtime ;/)

I ran about 3-9 hours/day depending on load, I had a dutch guy who kept watch overnights (he didnt sleep. ever.) -- And he was awesome, answered most sales tickets, called me when there was a problem...

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

@eastonch said: I had a dutch guy who kept watch overnights (he didnt sleep. ever.) -- And he was awesome, answered most sales tickets, called me when there was a problem...

Was he a friend? Or did you find him on a site/service somehow?

We have a difficult time covering the 2 to 5 AM range, and i'd like to close up that hole, but I'm not sure how to go about finding someone we can trust on issues.

• rds100rds100 Member

... or even China

• rds100rds100 Member

Just don't choose India :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well this is kind of a surprising thread to be honest.

Between 10 - 16 hours p/day working (I count this as work to some degree).

• PADPAD Member

If you don't outsource you mainly put time into managing clients, promotion and advertising is relatively easily (a matter of targeting forums and keeping up a daily post count) when you're small-time.

• DamianDamian Member

@AnthonySmith: What do you spend all of your time on?

• CoreyCorey Member

I spend pretty much all day working on YDGH, some occasions where the GF wants me to do other stuff with her.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

I spend about 16-18 a day =(

• @rds100 said: Just don't choose India :)

That's quite rude :(

@HC_Ro said: I spend about 16-18 a day

You're actually working on something or doing what I do... get distracted then look at the clock and see how much time I've wasted? :P

• rds100rds100 Member

@EricCubixCloud you are from India? I apologize if you felt offended by my comment.

• @rds100 said: you are from India? I apologize

No, I'm not. I have many great friends and business partners in India though and I think highly of the country. No offense taken. :) Thanks though :)

• rds100rds100 Member

@EricCubixCloud i have nothing bad to say for the country, it's just the communication with support engineers outsourced to India is usually quite hard and sometimes frustrating.

• @rds100 said: it's just the communication with support engineers outsourced to India is usually quite hard and sometimes frustrating.

Blame the companies who outsource them and dont trame them properly

I have had problems will call centres in Bulgaria personally too..

• rds100rds100 Member

@DanielM true, i guess you can't expect too much from a low-to-mid payed employee.

• @liam said: I have had like problems with call centres in like liverpool.

LOL.

• qhosterqhoster Member
    edited July 2012

Spending whole day paying invoices :)

• 25000 tickets this year

• @ShardHost said: 25000 tickets this year

What's your company name?

• CoreyCorey Member

That is a ridiculous amount of tickets.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Nothing against outsourcing, but I rather know my clients personally.

Even when I am not working, I accept mail which is connected directly to my phone - thus, it gives my clients easy access to me at any time.

When I am not working, I am thinking of ideas on how to progress and build around the network :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Maintenance, let's be fancy and say R&D (aka toying around with new ideas), and contract work. There goes my day. But let's be honest, #2 in that short list is the real time sink.