Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another SolusVM Alternatives Thread... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another SolusVM Alternatives Thread...

Comments

• TazTaz Member

Why not start with a module based ovz panel? Might be a bit tough though.

• subigosubigo Member

@antiven said: In the previous 'open source panels' thread several alternatives were mentioned. Use one of them, or build off of them.

All of the free panels (that I've seen) mainly focus on a single virtualization type and the entire codebase is completely built around it. In order to do something that uses plugins for each platform type, we would have to start from scratch and build a basic schema first.

• TazTaz Member

@subigo why not take a look into something available like proxmox?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@NinjaHawk said: available like proxmox?

Proxmox is what it is, and is too dependent on hardware control, doesn't support swraid,and running KVM and ovz on the same node is just scary. OVZ inside KVM I am ok with, I don't do it, but it at least makes sense.

• Why not adopt http://cvm.cryto.net/

• TazTaz Member

@miTgiB
    Well I said for an idea not to use it.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I was actually already working on an open-source panel (http://cvm.cryto.net/ for code, http://demo.cryto.net/ for a somewhat outdated demo, http://git.cryto.net/repo/cvm for publicly accessible Git repository), and I expect to pick up development again in 1-2 weeks (I had some IRL issues to sort out).

I'm implementing OpenVZ first, but due to the way it's designed it will be easy to add in other virtualization technologies. While it technically won't have a 'plugin system' like for example forums do, the code is sufficiently abstracted for it to allow easy integration of other virtualization platforms.

• One of them had decentralized management where any node could control the others, handy if you want to take a master down, but still be able to provision.

• I'd be willing to contribute some time/design if required by I can't say I'm good at coding

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited July 2012

Adding on to those who suggested modular:

Instead of creating a core framework, create a core API.

• Create backend and frontend interfaces
    • Backend = assign ip, create vps, etc...
    • Frontend = install, reboot, shutdown, etc...
    • Virtualizations are therefore separated (implements)
    • Actions are predefined (no overlapping code)

While creating an API over a framework may be trivial, I believe it will allow the most customization.
    By doing so, you're allowing those without a lot of coding skills to create their own panel, or customize the existing one. (By only reading the documentation).

@FRCorey said: Any benefit of using google code for a gathering point

Use Git and Github. Easier to sync development, track commits, and most important of all blame log :) (find out who changed what).

• @telephone said: @FRCorey said: Any benefit of using google code for a gathering point

Use Git and Github. Easier to sync development, tack commits, and most important of all blame log :) (find out who changed what).

Well shit there goes my ninja ad's inserted into the code ;0)

• TazTaz Member

Any naming Ideas anyone?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

The statement "support is terrible" could not be more true with SolusVM. I think I've ended up figuring out/fixing every issue except for one that I've had on their system. And that was after multiple, worthless ticket replies :/

• Less talk, more code.

Thanked by 2miTgiB maxexcloo

@telephone said: Adding on to those who suggested modular:

Instead of creating a core framework, create a core API.

• Create backend and frontend interfaces
    • Backend = assign ip, create vps, etc...
    • Frontend = install, reboot, shutdown, etc...
    • Virtualizations are therefore separated (implements)
    • Actions are predefined (no overlapping code)

While creating an API over a framework may be trivial, I believe it will allow the most customization.

By doing so, you're allowing those without a lot of coding skills to create their own panel, or customize the existing one. (By only reading the documentation).

You mean libvirt?

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • @jhadley said: 2) Build my own probably using https://www.webvirtmgr.net/ as a base. Complete flexibility but would require a lot of time to do it all. Could sell it when it's done possibly, for anyone else who doesn't like Solus!

Any thoughts?

How can you use that as a base? The source isn't available is it.

• jhjh Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: How can you use that as a base? The source isn't available is it.

I assumed it was, though I didn't actually take the time to download it..

• Its not for download, its just a web based service that people can use to manage KVM VPS anywhere.

• jhjh Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: Its not for download, its just a web based service that people can use to manage KVM VPS anywhere.

My bad. I could still create something from scratch, but I'm trying Cloudstack now which looks really good. I'll reply to your PM in a moment :)

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2012

• TazTaz Member

Any one with a nice name?

Thanked by 1debug
  • antivenantiven Member
    edited July 2012

Wouldn't Cloudstack + WHMCS integration fit your needs? Cloudstack is open source.

• jhjh Member

@antiven said: Wouldn't Cloudstack + WHMCS integration fit your needs? Cloudstack is open source.

Yes I'm discussing this with @GetKVM_Ash - we might develop something between us.

• I'd really love it if we could all come together and put something together that we can all build off of. Some of us cant code, but we can do graphics or provide hardware or cash for testing & development.

• TazTaz Member

@FRCorey Agreed!

@FRCorey said: I'd really love it if we could all come together and put something together that we can all build off of. Some of us cant code, but we can do graphics or provide hardware or cash for testing & development.

Which was basically the original idea of CVM ;)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@antiven said: Wouldn't Cloudstack + WHMCS integration fit your needs?

After spending most of my afternoon reading the Cloudstack docs, I do not see this as a good fit for the LEB provider. No OpenVZ support, not a huge issue, but running two control portals is not ideal. No IPv6 support, but that seems to be on the roadmap for the next version due soon. Template support for KVM is a huge plus, NFS for storage is a huge minus.

Those are just a few of my takes from my reading.

• TazTaz Member

Here's nother name, NodeRunner?

• TazTaz Member

BTW, Cloudstack is not a great solution for most of the LEB providers.

• node.vm