Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone here use ksplice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone here use ksplice

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
edited June 2012 in General

Does anyone in here use ksplice for rebootless kernel updates? Also, anyone using it on ovz nodes? Any thoughts, feedback about it?

And where can it be ordered, I can not see a pricing on their myne website..

Comments

• @LiquidHost said: And where can it be ordered, I can not see a pricing on their myne website..

They don't sell it anymore. Out of luck, unless you buy from somebody who stockpiled.

• TazTaz Member

http://www.ksplice.com/rhel-signup Not sure about the cost though and I do not have access.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Ah damn, seemed like a really good peace of software.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

It's $5 per server except ovz which is $10. I still have my account from pre-oracle. I use it on all production nodes and shared servers. Does it help? Dunno, you only get security updates, not new features added to the kernel. So I guess it does it's job when your machines don't crash often.

• TazTaz Member

@miTgiB So this is the current price?
    Centos 6 supported?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

As of one year ago, the cost for a 4 socket server was $2,299/year. Not sure if it's gone up since then.

• TazTaz Member

So what is the original price? Tempted to order.

@NinjaHawk, those prices are pre-Oracle. Oracle's price is $2299/year per server and it appears that is only supported for Oracle Linux, not other distros.

edited June 2012
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: As of one year ago

I never saw pricing like that, are you thinking of something else maybe?

This is the pricing I am currently getting. It is the same since I originally signed up.

@miTgiB you purchased it pre-Oracle (July 2011).

@NinjaHawk Oracle said they were dropping support for RHEL... not sure if they changed their minds or not though.

According to Wim Coekaerts (Senior Vice President of Oracle Linux and Virtualization):

Oracle does not plan to support the use of Ksplice technology with Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Enterprise Linux.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: According to Wim Coekaerts

That's funny, Oracle Linux is just another RHEL clone in the spirit of CentOS and Scientific Linux.

I've contacted them directly for pricing. I'll update this thread when I hear back from them.

edited June 2012

@miTgiB From what I understand it's not about whether they could support the software, it's about taking a jab at RHEL the company which is why they chose not to provide support for RHEL the software. Not 100% sure but hopefully I'll have an answer soon.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: I've contacted them directly for pricing.

I think you will get the same response as you would get fro RedHat, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

@miTgiB That's what I'm afraid of but it can't hurt to ask. :)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: it's about taking a jab at RHEL the company which is why they chose not to provide support for RHEL

Oracle Linux is just like CentOS and Scientific Linux, a 100% binary compatible clone of RHEL, they currently have no choice ... Now, support as in hey, my shit is broke, I guess you could be on your own there.

@miTgiB I think that's what they meant since in order to get Ksplice you need a Oracle Linux Premier Support contract ($2299/year per server as of last July).

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: in order to get Ksplice

I can be bribed with cookies ;)

Mmmm.... cookies. :)

• TazTaz Member

@Kujoe any update?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: That's funny, Oracle Linux is just another RHEL clone in the spirit of CentOS and Scientific Linux.

Yes, though Ksplice is one of the differentiators. They're looking for ways to stand out. I don't know if ASM (Oracle's filesystem/VM) and OCFS (Oracle's clustered FS) are going to be supported on RHEL long-term.

I doubt anything is going to be supported on SuSE long-term :-)

@NinjaHawk said: @Kujoe any update?

Nope, I don't expect a reply until next week since they have standard support hours for normal clients.

• DamianDamian Member

So has anyone noticed any opensource-type projects in the works with similar functionality?

• TazTaz Member
    edited July 2012

Kexec?