Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cable Management with Tape
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cable Management with Tape

CoreyCorey Member
edited June 2012 in General

I've seen some servers come with cables taped down along long runs of surface between front panel and back panel... I always wondered what kind of tape they use... but after about 30 minutes of research I think I figured it out!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it gaffer tape?

(Also an informative post for people that didn't know what tape they used.)

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2012

Gaffer's tape > all

In a pinch I'll use the duct tape that doesn't leave residue behind. I, of course, am talking about audio cables but close enough ;)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

@Corey said: Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it gaffer tape?

Who's they? Everyone, someone in specific (or pacific as my ICT teacher likes to think it's said).

I personally do my cable management, for servers and other stuff with my warning/caution tape which can also be used as electrical tape. It's awesome but very very tough, and hard to get off the reel.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Infinity Off the top of my head - Intel, Supermicro.... others as well. The problem with using other tapes is the residue it leaves behind after getting hot and melting.

• JacobJacob Member

Electrical tape and Black cable ties.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited July 2012

@Jacob said: Electrical tape

Electrical tape can get very messy on a surface that gets warm....

• JacobJacob Member
    edited July 2012

Dun Dun Dunn....

@sleddog said: Electrical tape can get very messy on a surface that gets warm....

• PADPAD Member

Not sure how @Jacob makes much sense of using Electrical Tape.. that stuff will melt down when it gets warm.

• JacobJacob Member

I used tape to tire the cables around my PC case, so it is not visible on the front.

Ofcourse in servers it is cable ties.

@PAD said: Not sure how @Jacob makes much sense of using Electrical Tape.. that stuff will melt down when it gets warm.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Jacob I'm not sure that you read the thread saying 'of course in servers it is cable ties' when obviously they use tape in some cases.....

Here is another example... in a laptop they use tape in more than one area. I know they use tape in the inside of the screen to tape down the wifi antenna and cable for the webcam. Pretty sure its gaffer tape.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Thus the gaffer's tape, it handles heat quite well. Worth the cost. Made a name tag out of a strip and put it on a shirt four years ago. Still there, washed weekly. Leaves no residue, very strong, easy removal only when intentional...when not washed on a shirt for four years ;)

• AdamAdam Member

Think Kapton tape is what you're after (also referred to as Polyimide tape).

• Bondage tape, know that sounds weird but it is great. It sticks to itself, doesn't loosen and leaves no residue.

• RandyRandy Member

Zip ties

• ZiggaZigga Member

@Randy said: Zip ties

tsk tsk... Cable ties on networking cables is illegal here (in AU)! Mostly because you can damage the cables. Preferred cable support is Velcro. High quality electrical tape also works a treat, cheap and nasty ones sometimes leave a residue. Fabric tape(gaffer in other parts of the world) is also quite lovely, till it meets a sharp part of a wire tray :(

• apple use conductive foil tape in all their macbook product line right? last time when i tried to open my macbook the tape look better than gaffer, only leave small residue and i can easily clean it with my thumb..

• Velcro straps and proper labels make me a happy panda.

• @KnightSwarm_Philip a panda?! Where!

• Velcro cable ties?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • TazTaz Member

Velcro!

• CoreyCorey Member

Guys... I'm talking inside the server... what if you have a wire that is going from front panel to back panel and it is getting in the way of air flow... how are you going to velcro that to the chasis?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Corey said: Guys... I'm talking inside the server... what if you have a wire that is going from front panel to back panel and it is getting in the way of air flow... how are you going to velcro that to the chasis?

Yeah, last night I realized what you were trying to say. I think it is thin strips of gaffer tape that is used.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @Corey said: Guys... I'm talking inside the server... what if you have a wire that is going from front panel to back panel and it is getting in the way of air flow... how are you going to velcro that to the chasis?

I use zip ties and tiedown points for that.

• Gaffer's tape <3

It's used a lot in theatres to tape down lighting cables, etc, or tape down light bases even sometimes - so yeah, it can handle a lot of heat :p

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Corey said: Guys... I'm talking inside the server... what if you have a wire that is going from front panel to back panel and it is getting in the way of air flow... how are you going to velcro that to the chasis?

Cut it!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use zip-ties on network cables. Power cables are ok, network cables are not unless you love cross-talk. ;)

Velco only for me (although I do have some zip-ties being used as guides).

• ZiggaZigga Member

@KuJoe said: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use zip-ties on network cables. Power cables are ok, network cables are not unless you love cross-talk. ;)

Its also just ridiculously too easy to damage a set of pairs.