Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Testing load
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Testing load

PADPAD Member
edited July 2012 in Help

Anyone got any advice on testing load on Layer7 (application layer) etc.

Are there any legitimate ways to test configurations for layer7 based architectures? (I.E I'm not targeting network capacity, only software capacity, on my own nodes, with my own software, looking for some way to emulate HTTP floods, and everything else in that group of badstuff)

Thanks.

Comments

• PhilNDPhilND Member

Apache bench?

• PADPAD Member

Not using Apache, In terms of webserver I'm using Nginx but that isn't even what I want to test against. I just want to see how some software that I've been developing will hold up under high levels of stress, which seems pretty hard right now (or maybe I'm tired :D).

• Apachebench doesn't require apache.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • PADPAD Member

Really? I'll look into it, can't believe I've never used this..

• I use AB to hammer servers, but generally you have to write some good URL lists to preload it with so you can get legit db dips and all that to get some real input, just hammering whatever http process you're using is not enough.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I used siege when doing consulting, it can iterate (even random) across a list of url, use a session cookie (ie simulate a login) and introduce a small latency between request simulating user's thinking time....

ab is good when I wanted to test effect of changes to a single page (or to simple get absolute speed values).

• klikliklikli Member

Loadimpact.com

• Blitz.io is nice

• jhjh Member

Siege?

• PhilPhil Member

Apache JMeter. Provides stress test for web servers, databases (JDBC), mail servers... with scripting features.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • you can try :
    Load UI
    AB
    httperf
    JMeter
    loadimpact.com