Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone else experiencing high rates of linux server crashes today? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone else experiencing high rates of linux server crashes today?

2»

Comments

• NickMNickM Member

I've used ntpd on all of my servers, for years, with 0 problems. And you're acting like ntpd is some huge daemon that eats your RAM and disk and CPU, but it's not. It's less than a megabyte installed, and uses 1.8MB of RAM. You may not need or want your servers to have a reliable date and time, but I do, and most other people do. In fact, as mentioned before, it's required for many services.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • It was fixed in 2.6.32 and later, but anyone who gets backports should be fine as well. So far so good on all servers.

• @nickM agreed I have customers who expect the time on their VM's to be correct, and some programs require it, Exim will crash occasionally if the time goes backwards and NTPD running fixed that issue on one of our email servers strangely, we noticed the clock over a 24 hour period was getting off by nearly a minute so we sync the clock every 15 minutes on that node. Onboard clocks are not designed to be terribly accurate hence the need for syncing often, I have some servers that it's a requirement for them to sync every minute to a installed GPS system to make sure were within +-5ms of GPS time to ensure logs are accurate. Those of us with cisco gear using msec on our logs also require this to resolve certain complicated problems that creep up in the software with cisco TAC.

• yomeroyomero Member

@NickM said: You may not need or want your servers to have a reliable date and time, but I do, and most other people do. In fact, as mentioned before, it's required for many services.

+1

• subigosubigo Member

@NickM said: I've used ntpd on all of my servers, for years, with 0 problems. And you're acting like ntpd is some huge daemon that eats your RAM and disk and CPU, but it's not. It's less than a megabyte installed, and uses 1.8MB of RAM.

Not everyone has flood insurance, but everyone who has had their houses washed away in a flood does.

@NickM said: You may not need or want your servers to have a reliable date and time, but I do, and most other people do. In fact, as mentioned before, it's required for many services.

Maybe you missed the part where my servers are always just as on time as any server running ntpd. And I certainly haven't come across any services that require ntpd to be running... on OpenVZ nodes or shared servers.

You guys can all run ntpd for the rest of your lives. I don't care what services you run, at all. I'm just telling you that ntpd is buggy, has always been buggy, and you're lucky it's never caused you problems.

• rds100rds100 Member

Yes, i don't trust ntpd too much. That's why i run it on separate small boxes, my other servers sync from the ntpd boxes via ntpdate run from cron.

• subigosubigo Member

Also, I love the fact that people are in a thread saying how stable ntpd is, when that thread is about how ntpd crashed a shit ton of servers today.

• rds100rds100 Member

@subigo all software has bugs, including ntpd. But a server crashing because of ntpd is not really ntpd's fault, it's other software fault (i.e. kernel).

Thanked by 2TheHackBox yomero
  • OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

No issues here and FWIW I live in the future (as far as timezones go).

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@oliver I'll pm you for tomorrows lottery numbers, ok?
    50-50 split?

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited July 2012

I have used this to keep my Xen/KVM/dedicated system's clocks in sync for over a year without issues.

# cat /etc/rc.local|grep ntpdate
    ntpdate -u time.server.ip.addr
    # cat /etc/crontab|grep ntpdate
    23 */4 * * * root ntpdate -u time.server.ip.addr >/dev/null
  • ZiggaZigga Member

@MikHo said: @oliver I'll pm you for tomorrows lottery numbers, ok?

50-50 split?

I live in the future too, if @Oliver won't take you up on it I will. Make sure its tatts lotto with the huge powerball thingo

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

I lied, seems one of my nodes had decided the leap second was a problem.

Fixed it by running the following then restarting a few VPS containers that were hogging CPU...

date -s "`date -u`"

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Oliver said: I lied, seems one of my nodes had decided the leap second was a problem.

Fixed it by running the following then restarting a few VPS containers that were hogging CPU...

Java and mysql were 100% on cpu... I had to fix the same way. no need to restart applications/containers

• efballefball Member

My debian and RHEL machines were all fine, but all three of my Ubuntu boxes (desktop machines, 2 Lucid, 1 Precise) went wonkers. The CPU was crazy busy. I tried killing and restarting things but they just wouldn't run right. A reboot fixed everything.

• Had a few nodes go absolutely bonkers on CentOS6

Had some Ubuntu nodes go a little weird.

Rebooted all nodes anyways for good measure. Only one out of 100+ failed to come back up! Joy ;) All good now

• RobertRobert Member

In my day job we had about 30-40 Ubuntu boxes go crazy. We rebooted quite a few before someone worked out that setting the time fixed it.

• The time fixes we applied fixed some nodes; however some just didnt want to drop their loads.

• Wtf, yeah mine is down.. Just noticed after 2 days -_-

• huluwahuluwa Member

Too old kernel, upgrade it. haha